PDA

View Full Version : Weatherproof adventure cameras

Buffalo Skipper
02-18-2011, 15:15
I have seen a few threads talking about cameras, but after reviewing a number of them, I see very little about the new "adventure cameras."

These are compact, waterproof cameras, which retail for a fairly reasonable price. For instance, I have the Fuji XP-10. It is waterproof, shockproof, dust proof, and freeze proof. At 10MP and a hd-video (I don't video but it came as is), a 5x optical zoom and at 4.75 oz, this is a reasonable deal; now available under $150.

It seems to me that over the past year, there have been more of these advenuture cameras on the market. I bought mine primarily for outdoor use, so I would not have to worry about it getting wet.

Has anyone else looked into these types of cameras? I would like to hear your feedback....

slugger
02-18-2011, 15:23
I have been researching this for my upcoming thru.. I'm not sure yet but right now the canon Powershot d10 12mp is winning.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001SER460

Cabin Fever
02-18-2011, 16:32
I got a Pentax Optio W90 and absolutely love it. Fits in my pocket and it is fairly light. Only downside is that it doesn't use regular batteries. However, I have found that it will run a long time as long as you aren't using the video function. Of course, you could take two batteries.

WY Fan
02-18-2011, 16:41
I've been eagerly awaiting the experts to review the new Panasonic Lumix TS3 due out in march.

WY Fan
02-18-2011, 16:42
http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/panasonic-lumix-ts3-rugged-waterproof-camera-full-hd-gps/

couscous
02-18-2011, 17:11
New Kodak EasyShare Sport (http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/SPORT_Camera/productID.222433400) - 12mp, waterproof, 2xAA batteries, $80.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-19-2011, 23:58
That Kodak seems like a great deal, if you can deal with not having an optical zoom.

Red Beard
02-20-2011, 03:40
I got a Pentax Optio W90 and absolutely love it. Fits in my pocket and it is fairly light. Only downside is that it doesn't use regular batteries. However, I have found that it will run a long time as long as you aren't using the video function. Of course, you could take two batteries.

I agree. This is one of the best cameras I have owned. Are you going to get top-notch DSLR quality pictures? No. However, you will get decent photos and long run times (I shot 200 photos today, and still had just a little bit of juice left). Also, I like not having to worry about putting my camera in an OtterBox every time I feel a drop of rain. Oh, and if you do decide to shoot video with this digicam, it's really not that bad, provided you aren't shooting in low light.

4x4roar
02-20-2011, 13:42
I use an olympus tough 6020. Optical zoom digital zoom waterproof. I've dropped it on rocks from about 4 feet used it to take pics underwater of rainbow trout. Battery lasts me about 5 or 6 days usually and that's using lots of zoom and taking some video

isawtman
02-21-2011, 03:21
I have an Olympus SW series camera which I've taken 1000s of trail photos. My only problem is sometimes when the sun is going down the camera has a tendency to have blurry photos if I am not totally still

see all my photos at
http://sites.google.com/site/isawtman/

Franco
02-22-2011, 11:05
Seven of them compared here :
http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/2010-comparing-top-7-waterproof-underwater-compact-cameras---updated-5-23-2010,15546.html
Franco

AmyJanette
02-23-2011, 00:40
Has anyone tried the Lumix D10?

AmyJanette
02-23-2011, 00:41
Sorry, the Lumix TS10...lol...getting my cameras mixed up I've looked at so many today...:p

Red Beard
02-26-2011, 17:03
Sorry, the Lumix TS10...lol...getting my cameras mixed up I've looked at so many today...:p

If I were going to go with a Panasonic, I'd go with the Lumix TS2. It's similar, but has a better optical zoom lens. You might also look at a Pentax Optio W90. I really like mine. It takes great macro shots!

Bucherm
03-03-2011, 00:18
Olympus just announced the TOUGH TG-180, which I can only describe as "Kickin' Rad".

CENTER VALLEY, Pa., March 2, 2011 - Today Olympus Imaging America Inc. unveils the TOUGH TG-810, a shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof and crushproof compact camera designed to capture all of your extreme adventures, no matter where you go. Whether you’re capturing close-ups of sea creatures on a scuba diving trip in the Bahamas, shooting ski stunts in crisp high-definition video (HD video) on the mountains of Colorado or hitting the skate park near your house, the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is perfect for you. Rugged has met its match.

This 14-megapixel camera remembers exactly where you took the perfect image, so you don’t have to. The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 also boasts Dual Image Stabilization to cut the blur out of your photography, Wi-Fi compatibility for instant image sharing via an optional Eye-Fi Card, 3D still image capture in and out of the water.

GPS, Electronic Compass and Manometer – use as a regular compass, tag images with landmark information or capture your altitude or depth of water in addition to location data and map coordinates;
HD Video and HDMI® Control – HD video delivers a broadcast-quality movie experience when played back on a high-definition television (HDTV);
3D Photo Mode – captures two shots of a scene from two different angles to create still photos that can be viewed with the added excitement and realism of 3D;
Eye-Fi™ Card Compatibility – allows automatic wireless uploading of images to the website or PC of your choice;
New! Magic Art Filters – make it possible to create special artistic effects in still images and/or movies directly in the camera;
In-Camera Panorama – offers quick and easy panorama shots; and
AF Tracking – tracks a moving subject automatically and keeps it in focus for optimal image quality.
“The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is built tough for the extreme explorer and the everyday adventurer alike,” said Jennifer Schmell, product manager, Olympus Imaging America Inc. “Whether taking it under water or high upon a mountain, the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is a rugged companion that will capture HD video and stunning images far and wide. Its GPS and Electronic Compass track your location and direction, while the built-in Manometer shows how high or how deep your adventures are taking you.”
Track Your Adventures with GPS, Electronic Compass and Built-In Manometer
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 features GPS and an Electronic Compass. The GPS on the camera automatically records your location while you’re shooting so it remembers where you took a favorite photo. The Electronic Compass allows you to check your shooting direction in the field. The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 also offers a Manometer, which measures water and air pressure, enabling you to accurately monitor the depth or altitude of your images. It's the perfect camera for adventure seekers who want to snap shots while scuba diving, hiking or skiing. The location, direction, depth and altitude are recorded when each image is taken, and the information is stored within each picture's digital file so you can easily trace your shooting locations once you’re back at home.
HD Videos and HDMI Control for a Home Theater Experience
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 shoots gorgeous 720p HD video, so you’ll always capture the scene above and below the surface. Playback on your HDTV is also a breeze. You’ll be the hit of the party or any family function when you proudly display your brilliant images and videos on HDTV. Simply connect the camera to an HDTV with an HDMI™ cable, which can be purchased separately at any consumer electronics store. With HDMI Control, you can use your HDTV’s remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera’s menus from the comfort of your favorite couch.
3D Photo Mode
Now you can add even more dimension to your photographs by shooting dynamic 3D photos in any mode from macro to landscape, even underwater. Recreate a sense of depth like that of the original scene. Simply select the 3D Photo shooting mode, release the shutter for your first shot, slowly pan until the camera automatically takes a second image from a slightly different perspective. The 3D data is processed in-camera resulting in an .MPO file, the universal industry 3D format for easy display on 3D televisions or laptops.
Ready for real life
You don’t have to take an OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-810 outside to appreciate its outstanding build and image quality – but outside is where the camera‘s technology conquers. Whether it’s the local pool or a tropical reef, the Automatic Underwater White Balance feature optimizes white balance settings to deliver Cousteau-like shots of life beneath the waves. It’s also outside that the 3-inch, 920,000-dot, Super Precision HyperCrystal III LCD for TOUGH comes into play. This high-resolution, ultra scratch-resistant display delivers beautifully bright and clear images that are a joy to share – even in direct sunlight. A special layer in the LCD cuts down reflection for better visibility, so it’s easier to frame, review and share movies and stills. An impressive optical zoom is another bonus in the open air.
Share Images Instantly with Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
Ready to upload and share your party images live as they happen? The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is compatible with an optional Eye-Fi SD card, adding Wi-Fi capability so you can automatically upload images to your computer as you take them. Be the life of the social media party by uploading your shots immediately.
Express Your Inner Artist with New Magic Filter Movie
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is equipped with in-camera Magic Art Filters that enable users to enhance and customize images as they’re being captured. Have more fun and get more flexibility without expensive and time-consuming computer software. Magic Filter Movie is a powerful new feature that allows you to apply Magic Art Filters to your high-definition videos to take them to a new level of artistic expression and places you in the director’s chair.

The Magic Art Filters include:

Pop Art - enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s;
Pin Hole - reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pinhole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center;
Fish-Eye - emulate the wide angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame;
Soft Focus - enclose the foreground of an image in gentle, pastel colors with a soft, elegant focus; similar to effects achieved in a studio;
Drawing - turn your image into a sketch outline for children to color;
Watercolor - transform your images with a finish like that of watercolor paintings;
New! Sparkle - shoot photos with the luxurious feel of added twinkling lights; and
New! Punk - create two-tone images full of rock and roll spirit.
Broaden Your Horizons with In-Camera Panorama
Take the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 to places where you want to capture as much of the scene as you can. In-Camera Panorama mode makes it easy by capturing three images and stitching them together to create one amazing panoramic picture. Simply press the shutter button and slowly pan across the scene. The second and third images will be captured automatically and stitched together with the first image – resulting in one seamless panorama-size picture. To create the ultimate panorama, consumers can use the OLYMPUS [ib] software to stitch up to 10 images together.
AF Tracking for Friends and Man’s Best Friend
Whether you’ve got skiers or surfers in your sites, the AF Tracking technology on the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 locks your subject in focus and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving, and is perfect for unpredictable situations like photographing skiers on a mountain, tropical fish while snorkeling or children at play in the backyard. There are even two newly designed “Pet Modes” for animal lovers, offering the ability to recognize the faces of a variety of breeds of both cats and dogs.
Point-Dunk-and-Shoot Cameras
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 performs as well under water as it does on land, thanks to its lightweight, aluminum exterior, interior rubber gaskets and O-rings to seal out the elements. The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 can be submerged up to 33-feet under water. Four preset underwater scene modes make this camera perfect for taking photos while scuba diving, snorkeling or simply having worry-free fun in the pool. It can also capture HD movies under water. The camera features a water-repellant lens coating to prevent water droplets from forming on the lens so you get crystal-clear shots no matter how wet the shooting environment.
Wide-Angle Optical Zoom Captures it All
For those close-ups that make action shots special, the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 features a 5x wide-angle 28mm optical zoom lens (28-140mm), so that even more of the subject makes it into each shot – perfect for underwater photography. The lens does not protrude from its body so it is further protected from harsh conditions.
Nothing Can Shock This Tough Camera
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 can withstand a 6.6-foot drop thanks to shock-absorbing technology designed to minimize the impact on the lens and circuitry. The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 can also resist up to 220-pounds of crushing pressure. This vacation-ready digital camera can take a beating and keep up with just about any active lifestyle. There’s no need to think twice about bringing it along on a mountaineering trek or letting the kids take a few pictures at a picnic. Even for shots at the beach or capturing the wonder of marine life while snorkeling.
Freezeproof for Arctic Adventures
Whether you’re in the arctic tundra or building a snowman in your backyard, the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 camera can still perform when the temperature dips well below freezing (14 degrees Fahrenheit; -10 degrees Celsius). TOUGH-series cameras continue to allow you to take great images in freezing situations where most traditional cameras would fail.
Dustproof Design
The rugged Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is an ideal companion for outdoor expeditions because its airtight construction is impervious to dust, dirt and other particles. When the camera gets dirty, just rinse it off.
Cut Out the Blur with Dual Image Stabilization
Dual Image Stabilization combines two technologies – mechanical Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization and Digital Image Stabilization – to provide one powerful anti-blur solution for capturing great images whether the photographer or the subject is moving. Olympus’ mechanical Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization keeps images sharp by adjusting the internal image sensor to compensate for camera movement, even in low-light conditions when shutter speeds are slower. Additionally, Digital Image Stabilization freezes the action with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds to prevent blurry images often caused by a moving subject.
Tough Cameras, Not Tough to Use
Whether you’re shooting a portrait under the stars or an action shot of a hockey game, you won’t have to think too hard thanks to Intelligent Auto Mode. It automatically identifies what you are shooting (i.e., Portrait, Night + Portrait, Landscape, Macro and Sports) and adjusts the camera’s settings to capture the best quality results. Anyone can jump into this quick and hassle-free feature that does the thinking for them and produces incredible images.
LED Illuminator
An LED Illuminator on the Olympus TOUGH TG-810 works like a mini-flashlight on the front of the camera to enhance focus and exposure for macro shooting – great for underwater close-ups where light is scarce. The LED illuminator also works in conjunction with Bright Capture to help illuminate your subject when taking low-light portraits.
Beauty Mode
Taking beautiful portraits in the pool or on the slopes is easy with the Olympus TOUGH TG-810’s Beauty Mode. It enables you to soften shadows and smooth wrinkles or blemishes on your subject’s face – all in the camera and as you capture the image! Additionally, subtle edits can be made post-capture using the Beauty Fix mode. Choose “Clear Skin” to smooth a person’s complexion, “Dramatic Eye” to slightly emphasize the eyes, and “Sparkle Eye” to brighten and enhance the contrast of the iris and pupils. You can also apply all three edits at once. Have fun customizing your brilliant images without a PC and costly image editing software.
TruePic™ III+ Image Processor Delivers Superior Quality and Performance
Olympus developed its exclusive TruePic III+ image processor for the demanding performance of digital SLR (single lens reflex) cameras. Olympus’ enhanced TruePic III+ Image Processor produces crystal-clear photos using all the pixel information for each image to deliver superior picture quality with more accurate colors, true-to-life flesh tones and faster processing speeds. TruePic III+ also captures crisp, clear images at high ISO settings, which are traditionally associated with increasing image noise or producing grainy photos.
OLYMPUS [ib] Software Makes it Even Easier to Share and Print Your Photos
All Olympus digital compact cameras now offer the new OLYMPUS [ib] photo organizing and editing software. It includes photography workflow, browsing, editing and unique photo organizing functions. You can organize photos by person with automatic face-recognition technology, by place with a map-tagging function or by event. All information will be tagged in each photo’s data. You can then easily upload images to the integrated online service, [ib on the net], to share and backup photos, as well as order prints and photo merchandise. The name [ib] stands for image bridge, because the software is designed to create a bridge to help you get images from your camera to services where you can do more with your photos.
SD Compatibility
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 is SD card compatible. The use of an optional SDHC/SDXC card expands the camera’s capacity up to 64 gigabytes.
Availability
The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 comes in black and silver and will be available in April 2011. It includes a Wrist Strap, WIN/Mac USB cable, Audio/Video Cable, Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual, software CD-ROM and Warranty Card
U.S. Pricing
TOUGH TG-810 Estimated Street Price: $399.99 (U.S.)

Yamagame
03-05-2011, 00:04
I've been shopping around as well and noticed this: Nice summary and comparison of waterproof cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/)

I've only ever hiked with cameras with AA capacity and noticed that all of these waterproof cameras require you to hook it up to a wall or a computer.
Can anyone tell me how this works out on a thru-hike? Did you mail the charger ahead or schlep it along in your pack? What if the charger gets wet? Nice that the camera is waterproof, but it does no good if the charger won't work when wet...(yeah yeah, I know, carry it all in zippies)

SMSP
03-05-2011, 01:14
I’ve had 2 different Olympus Stylus Tough cameras and I guess I got the ‘lemons’ on both occasions. The current Olympus I have is the Stylus Tough 3000. I have 3 batteries for it. If I keep the camera on between taking pictures, the batteries run down very fast and become very warm. I have to turn off the camera between pics. It also doesn’t remain in the mode one selects when turning off the camera. For example, if I choose the Scan mode with Landscape, take some pics, then turn the camera off, it goes to Program mode each time it is turned back on. The pics are of good quality and the video part is good and the audio of the video is good. But with the way it consumes batteries, I cant depend on it. I have never been able to go 2-3 days on one battery. I am lucky to make it through 2 days with 3 batteries. My next purchase will likely be one that takes AA’s.

SMSP

Yamagame
03-05-2011, 01:25
That's too bad, as the Olympus Toughs seemed to for its price range to perform the best and hold up the best. Too bad the others cost almost double...

Iceaxe
03-05-2011, 01:31
New Kodak EasyShare Sport (http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/SPORT_Camera/productID.222433400) - 12mp, waterproof, 2xAA batteries, $80.

I am really liking this low priced option. It does not officially hit the shelves until March18th though.
It uses AA batteries and SDHC memory cards, which is probably the only new camera out there to do so.
I am definitley going to score one of these for my thru hike this year. I will post a review here when I do.
The lack of an optical zoom but with a 12MP sensor should be interesting.
Anyhow I am due for a new "trail-snapper" since I lost my last camera.

JaxHiker
03-05-2011, 17:11
I’ve had 2 different Olympus Stylus Tough cameras and I guess I got the ‘lemons’ on both occasions.
Our 850SW takes some of the worst pictures I've ever seen. Certainly not what I'd expected. I guess you pay all that money for water- and shock-proof, not quality. :mad:

Dirty Nails
03-07-2011, 00:04
I bought an Olympus X-560WP at Wally-world. Boy, am I sorry.
The Li battery life is crap! I carried a spare, and they were both dead quite quickly. One note is that some new batteries may need to be "cycled" (drained & recharged) a few times to condition them to get better performance.
I don't know if that was my case, I haven't used the camera much. That's because it takes crappy pics. I got a lot of blurry shots. It seems that the slightest motion blurrs the image. I'm not a good photographer, but I've had better results with many other cameras.
The Olympus menu system is easy to use, but as SMSP pointed out, you have to select your setting each time you power-up. It was quite annoying.
It also has a smooth, metal housing that's a bit slippery to hold.

Franco
03-09-2011, 20:27
here are a couple of shots taken a few days ago by a mate of mine with a Pana TS1. The latest version is the TS 3 (same lens, new sensor)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/2E-and-Yair-s.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/SG-Northernlites-s.jpg
Franco

Hoop
03-09-2011, 22:03
Franco,

Inquiring minds want to know - borealis or australis?

Nice pic...

Franco
03-10-2011, 00:19
Hi
Borealis...
Although that lucky sod spent several seasons down in Antarctica too..
he was around the Shell Lake area, North of Anchorage.
Franco

Walkintom
03-12-2011, 23:13
I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 and have to say that I have been really disappointed.

I have taken fewer than 100 pictures and the battery is trashed. I followed all instructions carefully. My last camera was working perfectly after 11 years (Kodak). This battery will not even take a charge. Olympus has not responded to emails.

While I could spend a lot of my time chasing after some satisfaction, at this point I will probably buy a replacement at the end of this year and have definitely placed Olympus on my 'do not buy from this vendor because they do not offer customer service' list.

Graywolf
03-20-2011, 19:58
GoPro is the way to go.. in my opinion...This camera has everything...And REI carries it..

www.gopro.com (http://www.gopro.com)

Graywolf

C Seeker
03-21-2011, 20:16
I just got the fujifilm (dust, shock, water, freeze proof)
Pros
~It went caving and got hit so many times and still works like new
~has not freezed up on me
~lightweight
~differnt camera settings (frames, color, scenes)
~It's Jamie Proof... I don't have the best track record
Cons
~have to carry a charger
~not the longest battery life
~Can't figure out how to get the photos on the memory chip so I don't have to carry usb cord (if you know how please let me know)
~takes a minute for camera to turn on

This will be the camera going on my thru hike this year and although it doesn't take the best pictures, I know it will work.

AmyJanette
03-25-2011, 00:35
Well, I just bought the Panasonic Lumix TS3...everyone I've talked to has said good things about the TS1 and TS2, and the only one in the line they had at the store was the TS3 so I thought what the heck, you only thruhike the AT once! I also managed to get a free upgrade to a 4 year warranty from the 3 year I wanted - the guy at the store told me to stand watch while he fixed my bill cause he wasn't allowed to do that...LOL...and he also said the warranty was a store warranty, which covers pretty much anything and it's good internationally; I just have to take the camera in to the nearest camera store and they would bill the store I bought it at and most likely just replace it since the parts are so expensive. Can't beat that!

Haven't tried it out, but I'm headed to an OHL playoff game tomorrow, so I'll give it a test run then and let you know what I think! :) Yippee!!! :)

AmyJanette
03-26-2011, 23:30
Okay, the TS3...First off, it's totally AWESOME!

The picture quality is excellent, the video is excellent and it has really clear sound which is an improvement over my last camera. It has a TON of settings and different cool functions. I used it to take a ton of video at the hockey game last night and the battery only went down one bar (of three).

At 7 oz it's not the lightest camera, but with everything else this camera has going for it, I think it's worth a couple extra ounces.

It's waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, dustproof, has an altimeter, barometer, compass, and GPS. I turned on the GPS and it encdes the pictures you take with the exact location, which will be handy when I get home nad have five bazillion pictures to sort through. Haven't tested any other features yet.

I fiddled with some of the cool picture settings - The intelligent auto is good, and the autofocus is amazing. It has one setting that I thought was neat where you hold down the button and it will take a bunch of pictures in a row with next to no lag between them; it has a starry sky setting which was pretty cool too. I couldn't get it to work, but that was likely me not having read the instruction manual rather than the camera's fault...lol. You can take black and white photos, photos with frames, a pic in a pinhole where it kind of fades to darker at the edges, and the usual food, baby, portrait etc settings found in most other cameras.

The only things I don't like about this camera so far is that it weighs a lot, and also the zoom is not fantastic (though it does have a setting for taking distant scenery pictures, so I figure if I ever get to some distant scenery...say the Appalachian Mountains, perhaps...I will test that out then). Also it takes a battery pack that you need to charge but the charger is very lightweight with no cord, just prongs that you pull out and plug in - very simple and easy and light.

The main things I was looking for were good picture quality and the waterproof and shockproof features. I am not disappointed with it so far! (though i have only had it two days...LOL)

So pros:

Good picture and video/sound quality
Lots of settings for a wide range of picture taking situations
Excellent autofocus
Good battery life (so far) with a lightweight charger
Shock, freeze, water, and dust proof
GPS, Barometer, Altimeter, Compass

Cons:

Weighs a lot
Limited zoom
Battery pack instead of AA's

It'll do. :)

Franco
03-29-2011, 02:23
C Seeker
"Can't figure out how to get the photos on the memory chip so I don't have to carry usb cord (if you know how please let me know)"

Not sure I understand , but ...
When you insert an SD card into your Fuji camera it should automatically record all pics into the card. It will only record into the internal memory when there is no card inside.
It is possible that the lock on your card is in activated.In this case the card will not work...
To transfer pics from the internal memory to the SD card you press menu on playback and choose COPY
There is a copy from IN to SD function.
Franco

q-tip
04-03-2011, 23:08
I am buying the Olympus Tough 3000 waterproof digital 12 mpx camera for the Colorado Trail in June-Aug. For $200, very worth it.

jenpharr
04-04-2011, 18:28
When I switched from disposables after my first AT hike, that's right disposables, I asked the sales person at Best Buy for an idiot-proof trail-proof camera. She handed me an Olympus Stylus. The model was a few years before the tough version, but it certainly was tough - thousands of miles, sand storms in the dessert, blizzards, lots of rain, and did I mention it flew off my car at 40-miles per hour. In the end it was held together with duct tape but still taking amazing pics. Now I have a tough and love it just as much, it is a little heavier than I might like, but still very reasonable. I agree that the dawn/dusk pics can sometimes come out blurry, but the macro settings make me feel like I am a professional photographer. Did I mention I LOVE it!

El Jefe
04-07-2011, 15:10
Just got ordered a Sony TX5. Can't wait to take it on my GSMNP hike next month!

Buffalo Skipper
04-07-2011, 15:25
The camera about which I first created this post is now available for as little as $99.99. This is $50.00 less than I paid just 8 months ago.

Using over time this camera has a few shortcomings. There is a learning curve to using this camera, which is fine, really. It is important to manually change the settings, which is mostly OK. The only pictures I have issues with are scenes which are backlit. Like being in a shaded forest with breaks the coverage with bright spots. It does not take great pictures with this "unexpected" background light. I have figured out how to make the best of it.

On the other hand, it is under 6 oz with battery, compact, and waterproof. I still like this camera. If you want one for hiking and outdoors, this would be a good deal at $99.99. Just plan on playing with the settings a bit to learn how to make it work.

I like the black best.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FAg5ouqIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Del Q
04-07-2011, 20:21
I just received a Sony TX10 today, 16 megapixel, waterproof, etc....$329, my Olympus did not take as good a picture as a Sony, has a ton of features, lightweight, definite upgrade for me.

Franco
04-08-2011, 01:16
Buffalo Skipper
"The only pictures I have issues with are scenes which are backlit. Like being in a shaded forest with breaks the coverage with bright spots. It does not take great pictures with this "unexpected" background light"

try the Beach setting and if that fails the Backlit Portrait.
Franco

Buffalo Skipper
04-08-2011, 09:30
Buffalo Skipper try the Beach setting and if that fails the Backlit Portrait.
Franco

Thanks Franco! That was one setting I had not tried yet. :cool:

I would not call this the "perfect camera," but it is bulletproof and I simply do not worry about it on the trail or while canoeing. I am planning a whitewater raft trip this summer and I can't wait to try it out in this setting. I was on a raft trek two summers ago, and I was too scared to pull my Kodak out of the ziploc as it would shut down whenever it got within 3' of water on a humid day.

Franco
04-08-2011, 22:46
Yes, peace of mind...
Every so often someone will post that they dropped their non-waterproof camera in water and it still works.
However what you don't see is all the ones that have been water damaged and don't work.
About the commonest problem for photo shops is to try to convince a customer that a water damaged camera is not covered under guarantee...
Franco

C Seeker
04-14-2011, 18:27
C Seeker
"Can't figure out how to get the photos on the memory chip so I don't have to carry usb cord (if you know how please let me know)"

Not sure I understand , but ...
When you insert an SD card into your Fuji camera it should automatically record all pics into the card. It will only record into the internal memory when there is no card inside.
It is possible that the lock on your card is in activated.In this case the card will not work...
To transfer pics from the internal memory to the SD card you press menu on playback and choose COPY
There is a copy from IN to SD function.
Franco
Thank You, I found out my SD card does not work in my computer. And I would need to use a differnt one (which isn't a problem)

Franco
04-14-2011, 18:56
Good point to remember...
Recently I had a card that my computer could access but not my camera (any longer, it used to)
Now the card is dead. I will bury that at sea soon.
The other issue is that if you use a new type high speed SD card (SDHC) you need also an SDHC card reader.
(you can use the old cards in the new readers/cameras)
Franco

Amanita
04-16-2011, 22:29
I just took the plunge, ordered an Olympus "tough" 6020. It appears to be a slightly older version of the 610 that just came out. Amazon has it for $185 vs the $300 for the 610. I'll let you all know how it works out once it arrives.

WY Fan
05-11-2011, 10:37
Any user updates for the Panasonic Lumix TS3?

skooch
05-11-2011, 14:06
Just bought a Fuji px20. shockproof waterproof. seems user friendly. have tested it in all kind of lighting so far so good. Love the "continuous" mode for point and shoot no waiting. Maybe I'll see a Bear :0

Buffalo Skipper
05-11-2011, 14:23
It looks like the XP20 is the upgrade of the XP10 (hence the recent cut price on the XP10). It also appears there is an XP30, which has GPS capability.

I can't comment or speculate on the picture quality, but I can only assume it is improved over the XP10. Not that I dislike mine, but as I have posted, it has some shortcomings.

Looks like the XP20 is a couple of mm larger in each dimension, and that is would be slightly heavier, by about .5 oz or less. Maybe if they continue to improve the camera, I can upgrade in a few years before my thru.

Please post reports on the XP20. I really want to hear how it works. :)

Franco
05-11-2011, 21:13
BTW, Buffalo Skipper
it's Veni, Vidi ...
However you could change your translation of Vini,Vidi Velcro to : I wined, I saw , I stuck around..
Franco

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 11:09
Thanks for that :D

Buffalo Skipper
06-22-2011, 09:10
Update on my camera. Take it for what it is worth.

We took the camera on a family vacation last month. On the first day, I had the chance to snorkel with sharks. Swimming on the surface (never once dove down), I began snapping pics. The light and reflected light from the surface limited my ability to see the screen (at all), so I could not really see what I was photographing; just point and shoot. When I got out, I went to look at the pics and the camera did not work. At all. Make a long story short, water had gotten into the camera and it was ruined. SD card was good, and I had 2 underwater pics to show for my efforts, but no camera for the rest of our vacation. I was steamed.

Camera was sent in, and yesterday I got a replacement. Seems to be slightly different than the original, but not the newer XP20. In 2 weeks, I will be doing a whitewater rafting trek, so I will update sometime after with another report. I may take the camera to a friend's pool and really test it out first, we'll see.