PDA

View Full Version : mac and cheese

dandandan
02-18-2011, 15:31
What do you use to make mac and cheese when you're out?

Farr Away
02-18-2011, 15:39
Dry (whole) milk, water, skip the butter. Or cooked and dehydrated pasta with velveeta added at camp. Either with tuna or salmon &/or freeze dried veggies, onion & garlic.

-FA

Rick500
02-18-2011, 15:46
I take a couple Kraft EZ Mac cups if I have the room. Just add a little boiling water, and a little Nido if I have it.

swjohnsey
02-18-2011, 18:07
Cheapest stuff, $0.34/each. Add 3 - 4 onces of vegatable oil or stick of cheap margarine. Cook the pasta in 2 cups of water, bring to boil and let set for 5 minutes or so before stirring in cheese packet, oil and powdered milk. Adding a couple of tbs of powdered whole milk makes it better.

The oil are margarine about doubles the calories.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-18-2011, 18:26
I do it the easy way ..I take along Mountain House Mac and Cheese...Just open the package, pour in boiling water close package let sit for about 10 minutes eat out of package..nothing to clean but a spoon and the package rolls or folds and reseals for a non messy piece of trash to add to your zip lock trash baggy ..not cheap by any means but convenient and delicious..

bobtomaskovic
02-18-2011, 18:32
Velveeta mac&cheese. Cheese sauce is in its own pouch, then add picante sauce.

sarbar
02-18-2011, 23:04
If you want a super easy DIY mac n' cheese I have been making this one for the oldest son for a good 7 or 8 years now: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/cheesy-couscous

SunnyWalker
02-19-2011, 22:10
Add some diced up salami, or beef jerky or hot dogs or something. Need MEAT!!!! MEAT!!! GERRRRRRRRRR!!! MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT!!!!!!!!!

Blissful
02-19-2011, 22:15
Annie's is the best. Have dehydrated milk with you. You can also add a pack of tuna at the end. Be sure to leave enough liquid for the milk and cheese or it will be really thick and gross. And make sure the water is boiling before you add the macaroni.

Blissful
02-19-2011, 22:19
Velveeta mac&cheese. Cheese sauce is in its own pouch, then add picante sauce.

Cheese sauce in a pouch is heavy to carry long distance hiking (though I have used it, but I found it messy to work with. Powder was better for me).

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 22:53
cheese sauce in a pouch or powdered has been outlawed in mattganastan.even small infractions of mattganastans airspace by these forces will result in cheese jihad.

mkmangold
02-19-2011, 23:32
If you want a super easy DIY mac n' cheese I have been making this one for the oldest son for a good 7 or 8 years now: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/cheesy-couscous

I'm convinced that anything Sarbar recommends should be law. I'm going to try this myself tomorrow and I advise everyone else to do the same.

sarbar
02-20-2011, 12:38
Add some diced up salami, or beef jerky or hot dogs or something. Need MEAT!!!! MEAT!!! GERRRRRRRRRR!!! MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT!!!!!!!!!

Go Meat! :D

Yeah, my oldest son would agree with you. He loves a can of chicken or diced up sausage added to his as well.