PDA

View Full Version : Campmor Down Sleeping Bag

zombiegrad
02-18-2011, 17:29
I cannot decide between the 0 degree or 20 degree bags. Thoughts on which would be best or adequate on a NOBO March 15 start?

HiKen2011
02-18-2011, 17:33
20 degree should be enough

zombiegrad
02-18-2011, 17:56
Also, I wanted to say that this is the bag that I plan to use throughout. Not ideal, but I'll have to tough it out since I'm on a budget!

HiKen, could you share why you think the 20 would be enough? Personal experience, anecdotal, guess-timating? Thanks!

FritztheCat
02-18-2011, 18:20
I have the 20 degree bag. Works great! I've had it in temps in the teens and stayed warm enough.

STICK
02-18-2011, 22:21
I do not own one nor have I even laid eyes upon one, other than on the net but I must say that I have heard lots of great things about the bag(s).

Saying that, I would say go with the 20 if you will be using it the entire trip. The 20 will be lighter weight (you will appreciate that over ~ 2200 miles) and will be a little more tolerable during the warmer times. Be smart though and carry clothes that you can supplement with the bag to get the temp rating as low as you can during the colder temps. Also, be sure that you have an adequate sleeping pad, by this I am referring to the insulation values (not the comfort). Otherwise you can have some miserable nights.

I would suggest though that you get the bag asap and get it outside overnight (at home) to see what it does for you. You may get the 20 and find that you are only warm inside it to 30 or more. I would say that you will need to be able to be comfortable to around 15. If you can pull that off you should be pretty good.

Blissful
02-18-2011, 22:23
My son had a 20 degree (Cat's Meow) for March 5th start. But he did take a silk liner and had mid weight underwear.
If this is your only bag, then go with the 20 degree.

10-K
02-18-2011, 22:28
I bought the Campmor 0* down bag for my son and it does not pack down very small.

It takes up serious room in the pack.

jrnj5k
02-18-2011, 22:32
I have the campmor 20 and its a 30 degree bag at best in reality.

DapperD
02-19-2011, 00:59
I have the campmor 20 and its a 30 degree bag at best in reality.That's such a problem when it comes to bags. I think I read somewhere that the actual degree rating on the bag is not a comfort rating but a survival rating. In other words in many low cost 20 degree bags, when it gets down to 20 degrees, you are uncomfortably cold in them:rolleyes:

Lilred
02-19-2011, 01:42
I have the 20 degree Campmor bag and you'll be fine with it for your whole trip. If it gets really cold, layer up. In the summer, use it quilt style.

zombiegrad
02-19-2011, 01:45
Yall have given me something to think about. I think I'll invest a little more to get a solid and lightweight sleeping bag. Pak Man is selling a Montbell Super Stretch Ultra Light #2 that's in my size and I'm going for it!

double d
02-19-2011, 07:58
I own the Campmor 20 bag and love it! A 0 down bag is usually a large size and will not compress well, but the if you sleep in layers (as others have suggested), then you should be fine. Leaving March 15th, I believe you will experience some cold nights (from my experience of what others have said/written), but again, bring a quality sleeping pad, layering yourself up at night and I would also suggest getting the 6'6" bag if your near/over 6 foot.

Grinder
02-19-2011, 08:28
Regarding the rated temperature being "optimistic":

I have a Kelty Kilo 25 deg bag. This Manufacturer also has a reputation for optimistic ratings.

With a liner and all my clothes I have survived a 15 degree night or two.

I am cozy to about 30 degrees. I normally sleep in EWS army style thermals, a watch cap and glove liners.

I never did understand the folks who sleep nude in the woods. But that may be my problem. ???

zombiegrad
02-19-2011, 08:52
The Campmor 20 really sounds like it's a bag of choice around here, and I can see why! It's a good price, not too heavy, and does the job. If I hadn't come across the MB UL SS I would happily go with the 20. Thanks for the reviews, and sleep toasty, my friends!

garlic08
02-19-2011, 09:15
The Campmor 20 was my first down bag and it was good as my only bag for a PCT thru, with some temps in the high teens. It was slightly better than survival rating, I think, but not much more.

Your plan to get a better bag is a good one. When I upgraded, I kicked myself for waiting so long, just as I did for waiting so long to switch from synthetic. Get the best bag you can possibly afford and you won't regret it. If you can't afford better than the Campmor, it'll work OK.

Keep in mind that if you do get hit with a winter storm in the high country, you may be forced to bail out and spend time in a town. That will cost money that could have gone into a decent bag that could keep you hiking in cold weather. After I hiked past Newfound Gap in the Smokies in a blizzard that closed the road later, I had the trail to myself. Dozens had bailed out into Gatlinburg. That couldn't have been cheap. My excellent 15F down bag really paid off for the next couple of nights.

moytoy
02-19-2011, 09:33
I have the Campmor rectangular 20 degree bag. I have slept in it at 30 degrees with nothing on but my boxers and stayed warm. I made a liner for the bag but was not using it for the test. I was on a very well insulated pad.
My liner is made from fleece and a zipper I bought at Joe-Ann fabric. If I'm in the liner and the temps are 40's I use the bag as a quilt. Although I haven't tested it yet I think the liner and bag all zipped should take me to 20 degrees. If I need to I can put on base layer and wool socks. I plan on using this system starting sometime in Feb. of the year "?". Rest assured though that all will have been tested before I begin my hike.

Red Beard
02-19-2011, 11:12
My son had a 20 degree (Cat's Meow) for March 5th start. But he did take a silk liner and had mid weight underwear.
If this is your only bag, then go with the 20 degree.

Had this bag for a couple of years. I liked it, with the exception of the bulk. When it was new, I'd sweat to death in 15 degree weather.

Blissful
02-19-2011, 11:17
Yall have given me something to think about. I think I'll invest a little more to get a solid and lightweight sleeping bag. Pak Man is selling a Montbell Super Stretch Ultra Light #2 that's in my size and I'm going for it!

You'll still need a liner. 25 degree is barely there for a March start.

STICK
02-19-2011, 14:18
I do agree that going all out for a bag is a great idea. I switched last year from a cheap end TNF Aleutian bag to a Marmot Helium and WOW! Don't get me wrong, the NF bag worked but that's all it did, the Helium comforts me, weighs much less and can pack smaller (although I don't use stuff sacks for my sleeping bag/quilt anymore). What got me though was laying my flat lifeless looking bag next to my wife's SD down bag. There was not contest...

It seems like the Montbell #2's were a very popular bag when they made them. Seems like all I read was good to great things about them. (Of course there were probably some bad things to say about them too though, after all, nothings perfect, especially not for everyone, but in general, they were very good.) If I would've had the money I when they were still around I would probably gotten one rather than the Helium, but it didn't happen that way and I ended up with the Helium, and very very happy that I did!

Good luck with whatever you choose, and on your adventure as well!

zombiegrad
02-19-2011, 16:34
Blissful, I don't think a liner would be necessary. I've read plenty of reviews of the MB ULSS#2 being comfortable below 20 with a baselayer. But maybe I'll want a liner to keep the bag clean, but that would kind of defeat the super stretch purpose. What do yall think?

STICK
02-19-2011, 18:35
Depends on how big the liner is. My JagBag liners are cut very generously.

Mags
02-19-2011, 18:54
As others said, get the best bag you can afford.

I bought a Feathered Friends Hummingbird and it latest 10+ yrs of very hard use (long trails, local hikes in CO, jaunts in Wyo, Utah and New England).

If you can't afford the #$350 for a high quality bag, the Campmor bag is a good budget one. Not perfect..but should serve you well enough for a thru-hike.

buz
02-21-2011, 18:35
Zom,

Good choice on the bag change, hope you got it, (the MB, I have that one) I also own the campmor 20, and for me, it is a warm 30, with simple sleeping clothes. No way a 15 degree night bag, without lots of extra insulation.

A liner is a personal thing. They don't work for me, i am flippy floppy side sleeper. That is why I love the MB line. I would say, get your bag, and then get some dimensions of liners, pin up a top sheet to mimic the size, then test sleep in your new bag with it. See what happens. I have silk "jammies" I use that I love. You could like a liner.

zombiegrad
02-26-2011, 05:06
Thanks buz! I'll consider it. Any cons to not using a liner? If one decides against a liner, is it inevitable that the sleeping bag will get dirtied? If so, how to avoid without a liner?

Thanks for the referral, Stick!

moytoy
02-26-2011, 07:29
If your sleeping in a bag everynight after a long day of hiking your body oils alone will dirty the bag. You can make a liner from fleece and a 60" zipper for about $15 or less if you can find the fleece on sale. If it doesn't work for you just leave it in a hiker box for someone else to try.