PDA

View Full Version : drinking cedar water?

Scrapes
02-18-2011, 20:28
Looking for info on the cedar/tannin colored water, is it drinkable? I'd filter but am curious about the water, its the main fresh water source in So Jersey. thanks all.

scrapes

mikec
02-18-2011, 20:34
I've filtered it and drank it. It will clog up a filter very quickly. If you have an MSR, you can just clean the filter. If you have a Pur/Katahdin, you are SOL.

kayak karl
02-18-2011, 20:37
its only tannic acid. same as tea. been drinking it in the Jersey pine barrens for years and i'm OK :-?
When you want to do the Batona?? im thinking MARCH?? up for it any time??

Scrapes
02-19-2011, 20:03
its only tannic acid. same as tea. been drinking it in the Jersey pine barrens for years and i'm OK :-?
When you want to do the Batona?? im thinking MARCH?? up for it any time??

Hey Karl, figured you'd check in on this. I'm not sure I want to do your pace 25 miles, 1 night. I'm leaning towards 2 nights. Stealth camping too. Batona is tough trying to time stops. March is possible it'll be a spur of the moment thing, with a good weather window as motivation.

been kicking around Double Trouble a lot lately.

thanks for the response

bob

chiefiepoo
02-19-2011, 23:28
Drank a lot of it, unfiltered back in the day (early 60's) along the Mullica, Oswego and around Chatsworth. Maybe runoff wasn't as bad then as it might be now. Thinking about coming up and doing the Batona this spring.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 23:40
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/ecology/water/

Scrapes
02-20-2011, 14:57
I've filtered it and drank it. It will clog up a filter very quickly. If you have an MSR, you can just clean the filter. If you have a Pur/Katahdin, you are SOL.

MSR for sure, for that very reason

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 15:04

A good case for MSR filters....Never went thirsty because of my MSR fillter

WalkingUSA
02-21-2011, 01:14
I have used the water the OP speaks of, raw and filtered. If I ever got sick from it, I can't remember it right now.

I still suggest filtering in all cases except 100% positive clean. Trust me on this, the runs is no fun in the woods. :)

kayak karl
02-24-2011, 19:42
i hiked the pine barrens today and yesterday. i ran into a gov. van. he was testing the water at Quaker bridge. he said water is fine to drink. they have been testing since 1990 and have seen no increase road run off. he said treat it of filter its fine, but said to stay away from the cedar lakes.

Scraps, ill do a 3 day on the Batona. my pups not up for a 25 mile day. 14.7 to buttonwood, 16.1 to batona camp, 18.7 to ong's hat

Gray Blazer
02-24-2011, 19:51
Grinder filtered some Cypress swamp water and made us some brown banana pudding for our FT get together last year. Here it is one year later and all 5 of us are still alive.

Scrapes
03-06-2011, 18:34
i hiked the pine barrens today and yesterday. i ran into a gov. van. he was testing the water at Quaker bridge. he said water is fine to drink. they have been testing since 1990 and have seen no increase road run off. he said treat it of filter its fine, but said to stay away from the cedar lakes.

Scraps, ill do a 3 day on the Batona. my pups not up for a 25 mile day. 14.7 to buttonwood, 16.1 to batona camp, 18.7 to ong's hat

Hey Karl, no lake water, got it. I was down to Bass River yesterday doing some bike riding. Nice park. Grabbed a Batona Trail map. Are you comfortable leaving your car at the trailhead? At Stage Rd? Or at the park. I saw your note about the hike, I have a few hiker friends that want to do it with me so I have to work around their schedule. I like your daily mileage above. thanks for all the help

kayak karl
03-27-2011, 17:47
Hey Karl, no lake water, got it. I was down to Bass River yesterday doing some bike riding. Nice park. Grabbed a Batona Trail map. Are you comfortable leaving your car at the trailhead? At Stage Rd? Or at the park. I saw your note about the hike, I have a few hiker friends that want to do it with me so I have to work around their schedule. I like your daily mileage above. thanks for all the help
was nice seeing you and your friends out there Saturday. Kaia and I made it to Ong's Hat in one piece :)