PDA

View Full Version : 15-degree corrective angle poles?

Uncas10
02-18-2011, 21:02
I am about to buy new trekking poles and I can't decide whether to buy the straight ones or the ones with the "15-degree corrective angle" grip. I have always used the straight ones, but last summer I spent a lot of time sort of leaning on the straps (rather than the handles) when I walked and by the end of the summer, I could barely feel some of my fingers because of the odd pressure points this created. Has anyone used both and have an opinion? Thanks, Uncas

Uncas10
02-19-2011, 20:32
The reason I ask is that last year, I spent a lot of time sort of "leaning on" the straps of my poles (instead of grabbing the handle) while I walked. By the end of the summer I really couldn't feel my thumbs and it took about 3 months before I could feel them again.

Rocket Jones
02-19-2011, 20:37
On regular poles, the straps are what's supposed to take the weight. You should be holding loosely to the handles.

I use Pacer Poles, which is a different kind of grip altogether. Takes most of the pressure off of the wrist.

innermountain
02-19-2011, 23:25
The angled ones are way better for me - I've used both and there's no context. Cork handles are also way better.

4Bears
02-19-2011, 23:43
Straight has always worked for me, go with what is comfortable, go to a local outfitter and try the angled ones, in the store a couple minutes should tell you a lot. imho

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-20-2011, 01:30
Yeah, go and try them out as it probably depends on your style.
I really only use the tips of my first 2 fingers to guide the poles as I walk, with virtually all of the weight on the wrist straps, which I have quite snug on my hands. This means that straight or angled poles make very little difference for me & I am more concerned about the shape & fit of the wrist straps.

Uncas10
02-20-2011, 11:43
Yeah, go and try them out as it probably depends on your style.
I really only use the tips of my first 2 fingers to guide the poles as I walk, with virtually all of the weight on the wrist straps, which I have quite snug on my hands. This means that straight or angled poles make very little difference for me & I am more concerned about the shape & fit of the wrist straps.

That is exactly how I use the poles most of the time, but I think it is because after a few hours of holding the handles, my thumbs get sore right at the base of my thumb.

tuswm
02-22-2011, 01:54
I have used both and like regular ones. My GF has 15s and prefers those.

bflorac
02-22-2011, 03:05
I have not tried the angled poles. With my straight poles, when decending steep slopes, I often flip my hand over and put the top pole in the palm of my hand to brace and control myself. I keep the strap just loose enough to allow this. I don't know what effect, if any, the angled versions would have on this technique.

peakbagger
02-22-2011, 09:36
The approach I use is to remove the straps. I find that in Northern NE with steep ups and downs that I palm the head of the pole most of the time. On rare occasions I will use the conventional grip. In my opionion hiking with straps around the wrist in rocky areas, can lead to far more injuries. On more than one occasion, I am in a controlled slide down a rock and inevitably the pole will get caught in a crevice, if I have the strap around my wrist, its probably going to lead to strain in the shoulder, without straps all I do is let go and retrieve them at the bottom. When climbing down boney stuff, I also will throw the poles to the bottom of the slope, f they are attached with straps, I wouldnt take the time and end up with a poorer option for grips on the rocks.

I generally carry the poles on flat and level stretches where a conventional grip might be of value. It took a while to work out what works best for me and I expect it will take the same for you.

Buffalo Skipper
02-22-2011, 10:22
I used to have a pair of cheap poles with angled cork grips. I went out west where my sister uses a pair of Lekis with a straight, plastic grip. I tried them and could not stand them, but they were lighter than my old ones. So I researched and ended up with a pair of Black Diamonds with both the angled and cork grip. The difference for me is significant. YMMV

LoneRidgeRunner
02-22-2011, 10:46
I've tried both and prefer the angled grips....cork..

Uncas10
02-22-2011, 13:04
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to try the Lekis with the angled cork grips. If I don't like them I can always go back to the straight poles.