PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready to go now!

UCONNMike
01-05-2005, 22:23
I just got my Vapor Trail pack in the mail, and i have pretty much everything for my thru hike in a box, other than a few odds and ends kinda things, that i keep in my room. So i packed my pack and put it on, and felt ready to go hike. I don't leave til June 1st, and i think i may go crazy with all my gear sitting in my room, i may have to hide it to keep myself from leaving early. It's 5 months away and i am as excited as if it was the day before. Anyone else having problems waiting?

Divining Rod
01-05-2005, 22:37
I hear ya! I picked up my new Aether last week and am set to hit the trail now.

Lucy Lulu
01-06-2005, 08:02
I'm right there with ya Uconn! I have packed and repacked my ULA at least 5 times now. I'm also leaning towards a June 1 start, and it can't come soon enough!

Mayfly

Chickety
01-06-2005, 14:09
March seems right around the corner now! I'm still buying maps and just ordered a new pack! I don't want to be all ready to go too soon cause then I'll have nothing left to do but ...........wait!! Ahhhh! Should start dehydrating a few things, that'll keep me busy for atleast another month! I am definately getting anxious to go though!
Should be a good year!!

gravityman
01-06-2005, 15:42
Seems like March 1 is right around the corner and we have a million things to do! Gotta get insurance, figure out the car insurance, finalize gear, figure out how to close up the house, finish a ton of work here at my job... the list goes on and on!

But I am also SUPER excited!

Gravity

DangerPea
01-06-2005, 16:51
Can't concentrate at work, everyone knows about the big walk & people ask me about it on a daily basis. Every one says: you are getting close now, are you getting excited?" If the poo eating grin doesn't belie me, my giddy attempt to answer cooly does! I mean, what kind of queation is that anyway, are you getting excited??? Geeze! But like Gravity says, the to do list before we head seems endless. I will be so happy to be away from lists for six months. The only to do list I expect to keep is: Walk, set up camp, make dinner, write in journal, sleep (gues I don't really need a list to remember those & they will apply daily). Weekly: Find cheese burger eat cheese burger order lunch eat that. Find ice cream, eat ice cream. Find shower, take shower. Eat more ice cream. Maybe do some laundry.

stickat04
01-06-2005, 18:01
Time is going slow it seems I cant wait to get out there. I still need boots, and a sleeping bag liner. I tried to get boots and have been to three places and no one has my size.

Gacy
01-06-2005, 21:10
I get goosebumps from excitement just reading this thread I have packed and repacked my pack, weighed everything 23189765 times, told everyone I know about the amazing adventure I am about to do.I take daily walks with all my gear packed trying to get the perfect pack situation going so I will be more comfortable on the trail. I have tried out everypiece of gear that I have and I wonder how it will stand up to 2171 miles worth of abuse and how it will look after I am done. march 13th is approaching fast and I feel like I want to just go early. I have no commitments here no school no amazing job small leasesless rent payments and no family and Just recently I learned there is a pool against me finishing in maine so I told one of my close friends to bet on me and then we would split the money when I get back I CANT WAIT TO GET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump:D:):banana:sun

Chickety
01-07-2005, 01:32
A pool against you.................ouch! Sounds like the people I work with!
Here's to proving them WRONG!!

I just started looking into our LOA policy at work. As far as I knew it was a 26 week LOA deal, well guess it's a good idea to always get the *updated version of the policy book because now.........or LOA is only for 8 weeks!! Suprise!!

MoBeach42
01-07-2005, 09:03
Gotta Go! Gotta Go! Too bad there are still some unresolved issues: if anyone has some hints on solving them, I'd love some suggestions.

1) Boots - I bought a pair of Asolos this fall that I thought I was really going to like. The felt great in the store. After seriously breaking them in - probably about 75-100 miles much with pack weight, it turns out I don't - the don't work at all, and I've been tring on boots regularly and still haven't found something really right. Thoughts? This is kind of worrying me.

2) Haven't really narrowed down the clothing layers for a March 12/13 start. Current thoughts:
day layers:
Marmot Precip pants/jacket
wind resistant soft shell
fleece
mid-weight capiline top (or lightweight?)
lightweight capiline bottom
convertable pants
in camp (dry) layers:
expedition weight capiline (or midweight?)
midweight capiline bottom
light nylon pants

any thoughts?
At this point, i'm on the verge of totally forgoing food maildrops, and maybe just have a bounce box. Other than that I'm pretty darned excited, and ready to move my start date to Mar. 1. I guess there's nothing really stopping me. Maybe I'll do it. Weeeee! :banana