PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville to Springer - my plan

Slo-go'en
02-18-2011, 22:16
I'm looking to get from Gainesville to Springer around April 1st, but not yet sure of the actual date, which makes getting a reservation at the Hiker Hostle a bit difficult, even if they still had room at this late date.

So, here's my idea.
1. Get to Gainesville.
2. Call a taxie (of which there are half a dozen to choose from)
3. Get ride about 6 miles out of town on RT 60 to RT 136 junction
4. Walk/hitch the remaining 33 miles to Springer. (Google Earth puts the distance from down town Gainesville to Amicalola SP at 39.6 miles)

Reason for taxie ride is RT 60 out of Gainesville looks to be a busy 4 lane road, so would be dangerous to walk on. Depending on cost, might have them take me a little farther out on RT136.

Sure, I could call one of the suttle people, but since I'm heading out on the BMT, I might as well make this a real adventure from the start :)

10-K
02-18-2011, 22:23
I didn't have any problems getting a reservation for April 10th for my BMT hike.... :)

Why not wait until you have a firm date and try to get a reservation then?

Edited to add: Oh, I missed the point - you *want* an adventure!

inspectorgene
02-18-2011, 22:39
Hwy 60 is a VERY busy road, with not much shoulder to walk on.

It is a truck route and a major route out of Gainesville north. I wouldn't want to walk beside that road...

There is a big Kroger store on the right before you get to the 136 intersection. You might stand out there with a sign and have a bit of luck.

Oh yeah, there is a Domino's pizza place at Kroger. You could get a pizza, and have the box to make your sign...

inspectorgene
02-18-2011, 22:47
oOps...

Just re-read your post. You are planning on hitching Hwy 136. That might be do-able. Lots of traffic, but 2 lane and not as busy as Hwy 60.

FritztheCat
02-18-2011, 23:18
Hiker Hostel is shuttling me on the 31st of March from the AMTRAK station back to their place. If you're in the area around then, perhaps they can shuttle you too? My train arrives at 7 in the morning so it'll be an early start.

FatMan
02-19-2011, 09:16
If you are going to hitch I would recommend hitching through Dahlonega on SR60, not SR136 through Dawsonville. Both 60 and 136 become two lane roads at their intersection. SR60 will have more traffic and more importantly more hiker friendly traffic. And once in Dahlonega there are even more hiker friendly folks that can get you to or close to Springer / Amicalola. Dawsonville is not nearly as hiker friendly.

mweinstone
02-20-2011, 09:50
the matthewski method:
i have actually done this.
carry a real, homemade chocolate cake all the way from your home to gainsvill.stand at the gainsvill amtrak stop and ask for ride to park. when someone says sure, you give them the cake. they ask why and you tell them the cake was specificaly made for whom ever gove you a ride to amacalola and its for them. now you have a ride.

banjo_dog
04-02-2011, 23:35
the matthewski method:
i have actually done this.
carry a real, homemade chocolate cake all the way from your home to gainsvill.stand at the gainsvill amtrak stop and ask for ride to park. when someone says sure, you give them the cake. they ask why and you tell them the cake was specificaly made for whom ever gove you a ride to amacalola and its for them. now you have a ride.

in planning as to how I'm getting from greyhound to the park, this is the best method i've heard. anyone want a cake on the 11th?