PDA

View Full Version : If you like jerky, try this.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-18-2011, 23:40
Ok so I went to get some jerky for an upcoming hike, stopped by "The Beef Jerky Outlet" in Seviereville. I talked to the owner, real nice guy, showed me this "'Original Recipe' Smoked Turkey". Got 16oz for less than 20 bucks.

Nutrition Info: 1oz serving

Calories: 50
Total Fat: 1g / 2% (Zero sat/trans)
Cholesterol: 15mg / 5%
Sodium: 500mg / 21% (<--- pretty low for any jerky!)
Total Carb: 5g / 2%
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 7g

So not quite as much protein as beef jerky, but WAY less sodium and fat. As for taste, it comes in "Original Recipe" and "Honey BBQ" flavors. I picked the original purely to test the taste and quality of the turkey jerky. It's delicious, perfect jerky texture and great taste! I can't wait to try the honey bbq. As I talked to the owner, he gave me his card, turns out they have a website! <www.tennesseejerky.com> They have many different flavors you can order and they will ship to you, just search "smoked turkey". Also comes in 2lb instead of 16oz packages.

Roland
02-19-2011, 06:12
Welcome to WB, EastCoastFeast.

I just navigated to your website and browsed to the product you recommended. I noticed that it's also available in Lemon Pepper and Cherry Maple varieties. Sounds tasty.

The price is the same for each of the 16 oz varieties: $24.95
Add to that the flat-rate shipping charge of: $10.00

Total cost of 1 pound of turkey jerky, delivered to me: $34.95

I don't doubt that it is very tasty, but 35 bucks for 1 pound of turkey? I just can't justify it.

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-19-2011, 08:18
Ouch! That is a little pricey. I guess it's a much better deal if you are in town, he also had it on sale for an extra 20% off in the store.