PDA

View Full Version : Early Weather Danger

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 11:18
Today the winds whipped up to 60 mph here in the NE, I had plans of going out and hiking, as we have warmed up prematurely. But for NY, PA, & MD the wind will rain down tree branches, a real danger to one noggin. But it really says our winter is over! :-?

Mrs Baggins
02-19-2011, 11:24
The Maryland Trail Dames had a hike planned today and postponed it because of the winds - exactly what you said, danger of falling branches, etc. The ladies and their cars would be endangered. Nobody wants to come back and find a tree laying on their car.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 11:35
About five years ago We had a 100 foot tree wipe out our rancher roof in the middle of the night. And I have read about people getting pinned down in tents.

DapperD
02-19-2011, 12:04
Today the winds whipped up to 60 mph here in the NE, I had plans of going out and hiking, as we have warmed up prematurely. But for NY, PA, & MD the wind will rain down tree branches, a real danger to one noggin. But it really says our winter is over! :-?I'd be cautiously optimistic about winter being over. It sure don't feel like it's over to me today:(.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 12:37
I couldn't be more "cautiously optomistic"

Mrs Baggins
02-19-2011, 12:54
Today the winds whipped up to 60 mph here in the NE, I had plans of going out and hiking, as we have warmed up prematurely. But for NY, PA, & MD the wind will rain down tree branches, a real danger to one noggin. But it really says our winter is over! :-?

Not just yet. We have a snow/rain mix in the forecast for tomorrow afternoon/evening here in central Maryland. Then it zips up to 68 Tuesday and rapidly falls to 34 the day after that. That could all change of course, but I'm not putting away the winter stuff just yet...........

Croft
02-19-2011, 13:19
Close to 60 degrees in Chicago two days ago melting most of our previous 24" of snow from the recent huge blizzard, but 4-6" of new snow forecast for tomorrow night. Winter was just taking a catnap.

Wise Old Owl
02-19-2011, 14:18
Wow yea 4 years of Chicago winters was enough for me...

Carbo
02-19-2011, 16:42
This is just the January Thaw in February. I bet we have another big storm here in the NE. Whenever I predict something, I'm always wrong... that's why I said the above (crossing fingers).

weary
02-26-2011, 20:43
Wow yea 4 years of Chicago winters was enough for me...
I lived for a decade in Chicago 1948-1958. I never saw what as a transplant from Maine I would call winter weather. From the reports recently that has changed. Regardless of the labels, or reasons, our climate is changing.

double d
02-26-2011, 20:52
I lived for a decade in Chicago 1948-1958. I never saw what as a transplant from Maine I would call winter weather. From the reports recently that has changed. Regardless of the labels, or reasons, our climate is changing.

Well, as a Chicagoan, I lived in Colorado for many years in my 20's and I would say the winters in Chicago are much worst then Colorado. Not as much snow of course, but gloomy, dark days for weeks, cold weather for months, but you get used to it (in Colorado, there are many days of sunny 40+ days) and we do have "nice" weather from mid- March to Thanksgiving, so we've got that going for us (in Chicago). What really sucks is no place for long distance hiking within a few hours drive. Wait a minute, why do I live in the Chicagoland area again??????