PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the same section - does it take you less time the more you hike it?

10-K
02-19-2011, 13:51
I've noticed that the more I hike the same section of trail the quicker I can hike it.

The first time I hiked Sam's Gap to Erwin it took me 1.5 days. Yesterday I hiked the same section in 8.25 hours, including a 25 minute lunch break. I guess I've hiked this section of trail at least a dozen times now.

I've noticed the same thing on other sections of trail I've hiked many times.

Do your times go down the more familiar you are with the same section of trail?

d.o.c
02-19-2011, 14:06
yes there for a while i could make 311 to 652 in one day takes all day but it used to be a weekend trip.... Va 311to 652 (mcfee tinker cliffs daleville troutvile section of VA)..... i have found this neat tht after i hike certin parts on the reg ...it does seem to tke less time but i thnk it has alot to do with ur mind and knowing where things r harder and easier... i feel like its easier to find a better pace when i kno wht coming.

Hikes in Rain
02-19-2011, 14:14
I'd think you'd be faster. The sense of discovery isn't there as much; you have a familiarity with the area. Probably less looking around, noting landmarks, searching for the next blaze, etc. And you probably pace yourself a little better, since you know the terrain better. Makes sense to me.

mweinstone
02-19-2011, 20:10
the section between ammacalola falls shelter and the summit of mount katadhin for some reason seems to take a long time. ive tryed many times, spending monthes at it sometimes. never had enough time. i dont think distances get shorter, time seems to get scarcer.

Skidsteer
02-19-2011, 20:11
Do your times go down the more familiar you are with the same section of trail?

Depends on my mood.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2011, 00:21
Yes and no. When I hiked the Long Trail in '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerlt07), I was notably faster than when I first hiked it in sections 1977-81. But I was in better shape in '07.

In '05, I had the occasion to hike NY east of the Hudson (Bear Mountain to Rt. 22 near Pawling) twice: once in mid-June, once in early November. I hiked much faster the first time (June). Partly it was because of more daylight hours but the primary reason was in November, all the freshly-fallen dry oak leaves were extremely slippery, so much so that even routine easy gentle-grade descents were an adventure.

Hiking in PA from Rausch Gap to Port Clinton twice (May '03, November '04) I think my pace was about the same.

northernstorm
02-20-2011, 01:57
yes i have done the NY and CONN. sections many times and can crank out 15 miles a day through there now. its that we get familiar with the terrain ya know?

moytoy
02-20-2011, 03:54
Maybe a small amount of the faster times is due to familiarity but I think more to do with conditioning.

Graywolf
02-20-2011, 04:05
the section between ammacalola falls shelter and the summit of mount katadhin for some reason seems to take a long time. ive tryed many times, spending monthes at it sometimes. never had enough time. i dont think distances get shorter, time seems to get scarcer.

Thats because they keep relocating the Trail for you and knowing you will hike again next year, They extend it a little for you, But teh two points remain relative..

abn trooper
02-20-2011, 12:24
My first time from Monson to Baxter peak was my fastest time. I the 8 times since then If I find myself getting to far ahead of my normal pace I will start slowing down. Not wanting the trip to end.

Blissful
02-20-2011, 16:03
I've hiked trails over and over in SNP. Still takes the same time. I see no reason to rush my older self either. I want to enjoy it too. :)