PDA

View Full Version : 3 Week AT Section

Gordo46
02-19-2011, 15:29
Hello! If you had to choose, what ~3 week section of the trail would you trek?

I have from about April 1 to May 1, with a bit of prep/logistics on either side.

Thanks for any insight!

wornoutboots
02-19-2011, 15:40
I would start in Erwin & Head South to the NOC or wherever you end up. Mmmmm Spring time a great time for your trip!

Gordo46
02-19-2011, 21:08
Thanks! I've already begun my research for that section of the trail! Much appreciated.

Blissful
02-19-2011, 22:12
Damascus, VA north. The Erwin section puts you right with all the thru hikers and crowd city USA.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2011, 00:00
Any part of Virginia south of Front Royal/US Rt. 522.

Skyline
02-20-2011, 00:34
We might be able to help you plan. Check out www.snpshuttles.com (http://www.snpshuttles.com), and if you think it would be beneficial contact us. We help lots of hikers plan AT hikes, sometimes involving side trail loops.

Bilko
02-20-2011, 00:36
Gordo, start at Delaware River Gap PA/NJ. Spend your first night at the Church of the Mountains. Get an early start north. Hike along Kittatinny Mountain Range, Mohican Outdoor Center, Culver's Lake, Pochuck to Wawayanda State Park, into New York, Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain, Hudson River, Bear Mountain Bridge, Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, Connecticut, 10 Mile River, Housatonic River, and into Salisbury,CT. Not sure how long that will take you, but it is a beautiful section. Next on the list is Massachusetts, Vermont and into New Hampshire.

northernstorm
02-20-2011, 02:06
Gordo, start at Delaware River Gap PA/NJ. Spend your first night at the Church of the Mountains. Get an early start north. Hike along Kittatinny Mountain Range, Mohican Outdoor Center, Culver's Lake, Pochuck to Wawayanda State Park, into New York, Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain, Hudson River, Bear Mountain Bridge, Graymoor Spiritual Life Center, Connecticut, 10 Mile River, Housatonic River, and into Salisbury,CT. Not sure how long that will take you, but it is a beautiful section. Next on the list is Massachusetts, Vermont and into New Hampshire.

i strongly agree with this one mate! i was going to post a very similar portion of the trail. but i see someone beat me to it. hardy har har! any way, yes, very beautiful section. i recommend most of new england to everyone. conn is so pretty. you cannot have a campfire anywhere though. only stoves are allowed. its only 53 miles so it shouldn't be too bad. hope you consider this section my friend!

takethisbread
02-20-2011, 08:00
Fontana Dam to Damascus if you dont mind the crowds, if not then DWG to Great Barrington MA

Roland
02-20-2011, 10:42
Next on the list is Massachusetts, Vermont and into New Hampshire.

I agree that the Trail through New England is a worthy section, but April 1 is a bit too early.

With all the snow received this winter, VT will likely be messy in April. And, GMC asks people to stay off the trails, until they dry up.

Your more southerly suggestion is more appropriate for the season.

Pedaling Fool
02-20-2011, 10:53
Hello! If you had to choose, what ~3 week section of the trail would you trek?

I have from about April 1 to May 1, with a bit of prep/logistics on either side.

Thanks for any insight!
For that time frame I would start NOBO from Springer. If crowds (NOBO thru-hikers will be abundant) are an issue just stay away from the shelters, only the shelters are crowded, the trail is not.

Pedaling Fool
02-20-2011, 10:58
For that time frame I would start NOBO from Springer. If crowds (NOBO thru-hikers will be abundant) are an issue just stay away from the shelters, only the shelters are crowded, the trail is not.
BTW, you would really see more crowds if you go SOBO in much of the southern AT this time of year, because you'll be constantly passing the NOBOs. I've done that type of hike before and it can be irritating to pass a bunch of hikers. But maybe that's just me.

bigcranky
02-20-2011, 11:34
For an April 3-week section, I too would start at Springer and hike north, finishing wherever I ended up after 3 weeks.

warpzilla
02-20-2011, 12:45
I think it depends on your overall goal. If your goal is to section hike the entire trail, I'd go with the start at Springer suggestion. If you plan to thru-hike it at some other time I'd either go with the DWG suggestion or the Damascus North suggestion. The trail up north for an April 1st start just wouldn't be worth it, unless you're looking for some tough conditions, especially with the hard winter up there.

I wouldn't put a finishing point on your trip either, have a place in mind, and have a few transportation options lined up. But just finish where you finish.

Gordo46
02-20-2011, 13:20
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have always intended a thru hike at some point, but in case I'm never able to make that happen, I agree that Springer north is a good idea in order to section it.

As an aside, I fully recognize that the onus is on me to just make that thru hike happen!

I really appreciate your input!

Cookerhiker
02-20-2011, 13:32
I think it depends on your overall goal. If your goal is to section hike the entire trail, I'd go with the start at Springer suggestion. ...

One can section-hike the entire AT without doing it "in order" in the manner of contiguous blocks starting from GA or ME.

I think the question for the OP is does he care one way or another about being out there with lots of thruhikers?

Gordo46
02-20-2011, 18:29
I don't mind a little interaction on the trail. A traffic jam doesn't sound very relaxing. I want to test my fitness, gear, and mental state for a future thru-hike.

d.o.c
02-20-2011, 18:35
id say sobo central VA.. im gonna do it arouund then i thnk at least somtime in april

max patch
02-20-2011, 18:46
Given the time frame I'd absolutely start at Springer (or AFSP) and hike north and not give the decision another thought.

58starter
02-21-2011, 22:12
I am starting at HWY 40 pass the smokies on March 20 and heading north for 4-6 weeks come join me. I have a plan and I hike slow.

Gordo46
02-23-2011, 09:21
Thanks for the good information from all. It may not have the most solitude, but it looks like a Springer start for me. Looking forward to my first foray into the AT life!

fredmugs
02-23-2011, 11:19
I'm guessing you'll make it through the Smokies during that 3 week time period. Since you can technically call yourself a GSMNP thru hiker I would make sure to get thru the park and avoid all the reservation BS.

max patch
02-23-2011, 11:44
I'm guessing you'll make it through the Smokies during that 3 week time period. Since you can technically call yourself a GSMNP thru hiker I would make sure to get thru the park and avoid all the reservation BS.

Since you used the term "technically"....

A GSMNP thru hiker is one both starts and finishes 50 miles outside the park borders. So just getting thru the park wouldn't "technically" qualify.

Cookerhiker
02-23-2011, 21:00

Since you used the term "technically"....

A GSMNP thru hiker is one both starts and finishes 50 miles outside the park borders. So just getting thru the park wouldn't "technically" qualify.

You need to reach Allen Gap (north of Hot Springs) to "technically" qualify.