PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Socks with Trail Runners?

Maple_Sky
02-20-2011, 00:06
I'm switching over from boots to trailrunners, and I'm wondering if the sock configuration (liner and smartwool-type sock) remains the same, or if you can get by with just one multipurpose sock with trailrunners. Right now I have Vasque Breeze boots, which I wear with liners and a hiking-weight Smartwool sock...I've never had a blister with this set-up. Now I'm thinking about going over to the Vasque Blur trailrunner, and just an ultralight smartwool hiking sock. Do I need a liner?

buff_jeff
02-20-2011, 00:12
It depends on the season, but for most warm-weather hiking I just wear low cut cotton socks. I've found that once socks are wet, whether synthetic, wool, or cotton, they're wet for good anyway.

buff_jeff
02-20-2011, 00:14
Sorry for the second post...but it really is a personal preference that you won't be able to make a solid judgment on until you've tried out different configurations. What works for me might tear your feet up and vice versa. It's impossible to give a definitive answer on things like this.

Phreak
02-20-2011, 01:18
Wrightsocks Coolmesh for me.

amac
02-20-2011, 07:25
It depends on the season, but for most warm-weather hiking I just wear low cut cotton socks. I've found that once socks are wet, whether synthetic, wool, or cotton, they're wet for good anyway.

Interesting, I have exactly the opposite experience. I wear Smartwool socks with my Teva Dozer sandals. The socks dried within a half hour of stepping in a puddle. Temps were below 50 on a dry Autumn day. The socks also dried within an hour after rain stopped. I certainly believe that wearing sandals is a significant part of this equation.

sixguns01
02-20-2011, 08:34
I'm switching over from boots to trailrunners, and I'm wondering if the sock configuration (liner and smartwool-type sock) remains the same, or if you can get by with just one multipurpose sock with trailrunners. Right now I have Vasque Breeze boots, which I wear with liners and a hiking-weight Smartwool sock...I've never had a blister with this set-up. Now I'm thinking about going over to the Vasque Blur trailrunner, and just an ultralight smartwool hiking sock. Do I need a liner?

I made the switch last year. First factor; gore-tex or not gore-tex? I use non gore-tex Salomons. I wear Wigwam Cool-Lite Hiker Pro socks (Syn). Good cushion and dry very quickly. Of course this isn't for Winter. I also use FITS Lite Hiker socks (Merino Wool). So far so good.

PS A lighter pack will help with Trail Runners

Rick Hancock
02-20-2011, 08:36
I wear several styles of low cut socks but mostly Wright coolmesh. I wear these in temps down to about 35/40 degrees but my feet seldom get cold. The wright socks are an all in one combo sock/liner. I wear a Patagonia low cut in cold weather it's a thicker sock. I have also used Ingenus sp? socks they are pretty good socks. You really need to try a few styles to see what works for you. If a separate liner works well keep using it and experiment with other styles on shorter hikes.

Rick Hancock
02-20-2011, 08:42
I also refrain from wearing Goretex shoes until temps are very cold/ snow is on the ground ankle to calf deep. Generally I wear different Vasque shoes. I don't care for Gortex because once it gets wet it stays wet longer. Also dirt, sweat, etc. breaks down the membrane and your shoes are always in a dirt/sweat environment. Just my 2 cent's worth.

jlb2012
02-20-2011, 09:08
wrt socks in trail runners I use Darn Tough micro crew socks : http://www.darntough.com/hike-trek-1467.html

garlic08
02-20-2011, 09:10
When I wore boots, I used a liner sock. Now that I wear trail runners, I no longer use a liner. I use Smartwool light hiker or equivalent for all my three-season hiking.

Papa D
02-20-2011, 09:22
man - I have to disagree with buff-jeff about the cotton socks - I use the new smartwools in my trail runners - when they get damp, they are still nice and warm - if they get dunked in a creek, you can wring them out and use them until you get some sunshine - they work (and dry) much better than cotton. The new smartwools fit a little tighter when wet too - I even wear them in my regular running shoes on cold day runs - and no, I'm not the rep.

10-K
02-20-2011, 09:24
Normally I wear a midweight merino wool sock.

This winter with all the snow I've been wearing a lighter sock with a pair of Rocky goretex socks over them. Works great - my shoes have gotten completely wet and my socks, while damp from perspiring, have never gotten completely soaked. (So it was pretty easy to dry them overnight).

A few days ago I went on a hike and just wore socks and trail runners without the goretex socks and my feet got soaked from hiking in the snow.

+1 for Gortex socks in the winter.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2011, 09:38
go with these http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/DTV1101

swjohnsey
02-20-2011, 10:02
Another vote for Wrightsocks. They are very durable and come in various weights and heights. This is a two layer sock that is like wearing liner sock. Kinda expensive. Oh yeah, Made in the U.S.A.

Rick Hancock
02-20-2011, 20:23
REI and EMS both sell the Wright socks for a pretty good price. They also both sell a 2 pack. EMS has them buy 3 double packs get one free $17 per 2 pack. A lot of money but I've worn mine for 2-3 years before they wear out.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 20:51
I wear tightly knit wool socks with no liners. I've used Smartwool, Omni-wool (Sam's Club), Pearl Izumi (cycling socks) and DeFeet Woolie-Bullie socks - all have a majority of wool fibers and a bit of something else for stretch. They cut way down on the stink factor vs. synthetic or cotton socks and dry very well. Different shoes require different thicknesses of socks, and as you hike it's likely your feet will swell so I plan on wearing thicker socks at the beginning of the week (usually the length of a typical section hike for me) and thinner socks towards the end of the week.

d.o.c
02-20-2011, 21:08
im a big fan of the darn tough my self i hvnt been able to put a whole in a pair.

HeadiesHiker11
02-20-2011, 21:27
I second the darn Tough mid cut. I have over a years heavy use out of a pair and there still without holes.

PackLess
02-20-2011, 21:45
Love wright's cool mesh, but I've used mostly for running and only a bit of backpacking. I'll be scouring for lightweight options for backpacking this summer.

Mongoose2
02-20-2011, 21:51
I also use smart wool socks with my trail runners. My son tried a low cut cotton sock once, the size of the blisters around his ankles were amazing!!

fredmugs
02-22-2011, 20:43
Cheap gray socks from Wal Mart.

Blissful
02-22-2011, 20:47
I hated my wrightsocks, wore clean through at the heel twice less than a week of use. Returned them to Campmor. I like smartwool or wigwam myself.

swjohnsey
02-22-2011, 21:02
I have Wrighsocks that I have been wearing every day to run in that are probably three years old. Not a hole anywhere and these the the Lite verson. I have never worn a sock out at the heal, always at the big toe.

D-wreck
02-24-2011, 10:45
I loved my wrightsocks...but I had the same issue as Blissful. Wore them out in no time. I used them in SoCal portion of the PCT without gaiters, maybe all the sand dirt that got in my shoes was the culprit? I eventually went with the cheap walmart nylon socks and have been very happy. I wear 2 pairs at the same time, effectively acts like wrightsocks, but cheap and indestructible.

earplug94
02-28-2011, 13:40
Good luck with the lighter weight patagonia socks.

OnlyJohn
02-28-2011, 16:59
Wrightsocks Coolmesh for me.
Me too. I like Wrightsocks and Solomon Trailrunners.
OnlyJohn

Praha4
02-28-2011, 20:21
I use Darn Tough Vermont socks, in colder weather I use the merino wool boot cushion or micro crew cushion socks, sometimes with a Smartwool merino sock liner.

in hotter weather I use the Coolmax boot cushion or micro-crew cushion, without the liners. last summer it was impossible to keep socks/feet dry during the hot, humid weather, I tried stopping every 2-3 hours to take off shoes to try to dry socks and feet.

good luck

Praha4
02-28-2011, 20:32
avoid cotton socks for hiking. In my local hiking chapter down here in Florida, I hear from many who boast of buying their hiking clothes and socks on sale at Walmart or Dollar General store.

nothing wrong with searching for bargains, but be smart about it. Big difference between what you can use on shorter dayhikes and on a long duration AT thru hike.

Maple_Sky
02-28-2011, 22:10
Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to reply!

Skid.
03-17-2011, 08:50
I had lots of problems with boots, changed to trail runners last season and found a thick sock worked best for me. I use the Darn Tough, made in Vermont.

Freedom Walker
03-17-2011, 20:19
This is good information. Thanks

msujay
03-18-2011, 08:03
Injinji toe socks for me. No more toe blisters! Tape my heel with Leukotape and I am now a blister free hiker.

Rick500
03-18-2011, 09:55
I use Injinji socks as well. Not the super thin ones.

Before that, and still occasionally, I also use Dahlgren alpaca wool blend hiking socks.

Wuff
03-18-2011, 13:25
I'm a little nervous about this issue. I'm starting my thru at Springer on April 5th and not sure what to expect with shoes and socks combination. I've been on a few 5-7 backpacking trips, nothing like a thru - but I've never had any foot issues with blisters, etc.

So I just bought the cheapest pair of Vasques on Campmor, paired with some SmartWool light socks. Hopefully it'll work. I think the hikers are mostly worn in, I got a couple hot spots initially but no blisters.

I guess only time will tell. One the one hand, if I'm gonna freak out about a blister I'm in trouble for my thru. But I was raised in my parent's shoe store, so I have weird psychological issues with feet. Haha

ashevillain
03-18-2011, 17:19
I'm a big fan of Icebreaker's running socks. I think they are the Micro or Micro Lite version. Also their ankle length hiking socks are good if you don't like the low cut and want a little more cushion. Honestly the cushion is not that big of a difference though.

Penguin
03-18-2011, 19:28
Stay far from cotton. Cotton socks truly suck and will give you awesome blisters. With trail runners get the thinnest synthetic sock their is. I use Iron Man Triathalon by Wigwam (I believe) I used to use the cool mesh with the double layer but found that all sorts of junk gets stuck between the layers like pine needles and little pebbles, and you have to tear a little hole to get them out. The thinnest socks dry a lot quicker and wick moisture away from your feet preventing blisters. I haven't read this whole thread, but don't believe people suggestions, if they suggested it, of heavy wool socks, thats an old school heavy boot approach that wont help you out a bit on the trail. Stay with the thin ones and your feet will be happy.