PDA

View Full Version : Rain Fly Sticking together

Phorestfreak
01-06-2005, 11:59
I have a Kelty Zen 98 two person tent. The tenet works well for my uses but with one catch. The rain fly stciks together (only the interior side not the exterior) when it is rolled up and packed away. This creates a problem when trying to erect the tent in bad weather. I have to sit there and pull it apart with some pretty good muscle before i can even think about getting on the tent body. It practically fuses itself togetehr. Not only is it an inconvenience but I fear it is killing the water reppelent qualities of the fabric. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so maybe a solution has been found. I would love your input

Youngblood
01-06-2005, 12:15
I have dusted/wiped baby powder on adhesives to take out the tackiness. I have used this on silnylon tarps where I used diluted silicone caulking to seal seams and I have used it on exposed duct tape that I didn't want to stick. Seems to work fine for those applications. Might work for your application but you could also contact Kelty, seems like an issue that they should be aware of and it might indicate a manufacturing problem with the tarp.

Youngblood

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 13:06
Of course it will stick together a bit if it is wet, but I have never heard of it sticking together with such adhesiveness. Perhaps it is time for a new tent.

Lilred
01-06-2005, 20:28
I have a Kelty Zen 98 two person tent. The tenet works well for my uses but with one catch. The rain fly stciks together (only the interior side not the exterior) when it is rolled up and packed away. This creates a problem when trying to erect the tent in bad weather. I have to sit there and pull it apart with some pretty good muscle before i can even think about getting on the tent body. It practically fuses itself togetehr. Not only is it an inconvenience but I fear it is killing the water reppelent qualities of the fabric. Has anyone experienced this problem? If so maybe a solution has been found. I would love your input

I'd try the baby powder trick on it. Might work. I have the same tent and never had that problem. Hope I don't either, it's a good tent for two.

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 20:44
I have the same thing with chemical protective gloves. When they get sweat in them and you leave them stored like that, they can almost rip from the force required to open them up again. The solution is talc, baby powder, foot powder, or something similar.