PDA

View Full Version : Creating a gpx file to share

10-K
02-20-2011, 11:48
Ok, so I've enjoyed and really appreciated using gpx tracks that others have made and since I get around a bit I thought I might return the favor and start creating my own to share.

What's the best way to do that? I'm assuming the GPS has to be on every second you're hiking.

What about trails that take multiple days and require the GPS to be turned off at night, batteries swapped out, etc.? Is there a way to maintain continuity?

The Cleaner
02-20-2011, 16:55
I'll bet you might get a good answer from the Garmin Forum site,I signed up when I registered my unit.Been there a few times it's a pretty good forum with lots of runners&bikers posting..:)

Bob McCaw
02-20-2011, 17:41
The process is pretty easy once you figure it out. Gpx files can be edited and you can cut and paste files from multiple days, so as long as your GPS stays on while you're actually hiking, you're good to go.

I'd advise using an internal card if you're going for an extended period. The internal memory on my GPS holds quite a bit of data, but the memory on the internal card is just about inexhaustible.

TheChop
02-20-2011, 17:46
You use the track file that you make with the track back function. It saves it within the unit so if you don't have an SD card enabled unit you will be limited in the amount of track points you can hold.

JaxHiker
02-20-2011, 20:18
I save the track at the end of the day and then as Bob said I use a text editor to piece them together to build a complete track. You can use EasyGPS to transfer to/from the GPS and the computer.

JaxHiker
03-08-2011, 10:29
Thought I'd post another suggestion. It might be good to set your resolution to the lowest possible. I did a hike this past weekend that was only 2.5 miles. The GPS resolution was set to "low" not "lowest" and it still created over 250 (closer to 300) points. That can really clutter up your path quickly.

lilricky
05-05-2011, 00:17
I did the same with my track of the AT and FT. Once I figured out Mapsource's track editing commands I was easy.

The Cleaner
05-05-2011, 06:51
Hey 10K back on 4-13 I used my GPS to map a track from Squibb Creek up to the area near the lake on Rocky Fork.About 1/2 mile from the lake the batteries died.Forgot extras.Anyway we did make it down to camp on Rocky Fork creek and made it out to the gate the next AM.It comes out about 2 miles from Devil's Fork gap.On the way down we passed the way back up to Buzzard Rock via the main trail/road.There are 2 deep fords on that route.Search old posts for some trip pics.