PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with glasses?

Thenixon
02-20-2011, 17:39
So I have a pair of glasses for my fairly slight near-sightedness. I don't know what the correction is, but I think maybe -0.50 or so. I got them years ago for reading whiteboards from the back of large lecture halls in college, and that's pretty much all I've used them for - no contacts or anything. They're also helpful for night driving and reading signs on the road, etc. In everyday life I bust them out maybe a few days a year.

However, I do love to put them on sometimes. They bring all sorts of details in I normally can't resolve, and thus ignore. It makes a scene more memorable, and it's almost like having binoculars in terms of how much more detail I can see. Problem is, since I'm not used to wearing them, they make me trip, and/or run into things that are close by when walking in the woods or over uneven terrain.

So anyone who's got any relevant experience want to share? I'm planning a thru-hike starting in April. Would it be better to a.) leave them at home; b.) take and wear them, and get used to the perspective shift on nearby things; or c.) take them and bust them out when there is something I want a really good look at? Or d.) shave milligrams of my own eyeballs with laser corrective surgery! :cool:

The glasses are light, but that means I would need a hard case to protect them too. Also, one of the lenses likes to fall out in the case, so I'd need to add a tiny screwdriver for repair. Base pack weight is hovering around 17lb, but every ounce counts over 2000 miles.

TheChop
02-20-2011, 17:48
Just glue the lenses in! I broke my glasses right before a big hike, went into Wal-Mart picked up 10 dollar frames and got glasses for 60-70 bucks total. They have these absolutely massive lenses on them so I forget I'm wearing glasses. The downside is they make me look somewhat like a child molester. They are known as my BCGs with my friends.

Hikes in Rain
02-20-2011, 17:51
With that slight amount of correction, I don't think I'd risk corrective surgery. (It's pretty darned safe, but any surgery carries risks)

If it were me, I'd carry on as you have been, since it seems to be working for you. I'd get the little quirk of the escaping lens fixed, though.

FWIW, my vision correction is -7,25 OC, -7.0 OS. With correction for reading. I wear variable focus contacts.

Blissful
02-20-2011, 17:59
I had my lenses glued in when they popped out in '07 on my first night at Springer.

I'll tell you though if you aren't used to them or don't wear them normally, leave them at home. But my hubby takes reading glasses on the trail though.

Thenixon
02-20-2011, 17:59
The lens popped out once when the glasses were brand new, and one of the critical attachment points chipped, that's why it tends to come put now. Glue would probably work, it's totally not worth whatever the optometrist would gouge me for grinding a new lens. Corrective surgery was simply thrown in as a joke for the gram-counters!

Another question: I haven't worn these things much, but for work I'm often outside with safety glasses on. A black fly between the glasses and the eye is pretty much my least favorite thing ever. How many of those evil beasts am I likely to run into NOBO mid-April?

Storm
02-20-2011, 18:01
I don't see your age posted so have no idea how long it's been since college. My advise would be to go get an eye exam to be sure your vision hasn't gotten worse. Then follow the doctors advise about whether you should be wearing corrective lenses or not.

Mrs Baggins
02-20-2011, 18:05
I have 20/50 in my left eye and 20/500 in my right. I can see things in the distance pretty well. And I passed the DMV vision test w/o glasses. I just can't see to read up close. I always make sure I have an Rx set of glasses with a fairly thick plastic frame that I can take on hikes. Less apt to bend and break in my fanny pack. I wear light wire frames day to day. If I can look at a map or guide book page in bright sunlight, I can actually read without the glasses. Otherwise I have to have them to read. I was trying to use store-bought "readers" for years but with my extreme difference in vision in my eyes they made my eyes ache and of course the strength of otc readers could not ever compensate for my right eye. I was up to +2.75 and my eye doctor said I'd have to have +6 at minimum...which isn't even made. I have tried progressive lenses - they made me seasick.

Limo
02-20-2011, 18:12
I agree with Storm. Get an eye exam if you haven't had one recently, and do as the doc tells you.

Thenixon
02-20-2011, 18:13
I don't see your age posted so have no idea how long it's been since college. My advise would be to go get an eye exam to be sure your vision hasn't gotten worse. Then follow the doctors advise about whether you should be wearing corrective lenses or not.

It's been about 8 years since I got the glasses (I'm 29 now). My prescription may have changed a tad since then and the sensible thing would be to follow your advice, but I think my limited time and funds would be best allocated elsewhere. Dropping out of day-to-day life is proving to take quite some time.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 18:21
Just glue the lenses in! I broke my glasses right before a big hike, went into Wal-Mart picked up 10 dollar frames and got glasses for 60-70 bucks total. They have these absolutely massive lenses on them so I forget I'm wearing glasses. The downside is they make me look somewhat like a child molester. They are known as my BCGs with my friends.

Oh GREAT! So now all child molesters wear glasses with large lenses:rolleyes:.

To the OP:

I lost my new ti glasses with the small polycarbonate lenses last year and so I am now wearing my old (6 year) bifocals (with the big lenses) :-?.

Please don't judge me by the size of my lenses. :D

I wear glasses all the time. I hammock and usually sleep with them on during the night (unless I decide to sleep on my side). I've never used a case because I wear them. You, however, might choose to carry a case (or, to save a few oz. carry them in your cookpot if it's big enough). I sometimes have problems looking through the bottom of my bifocals at the terrain beneath my feet because I lose the magnification there, but it's better than looking at fuzzy green and brown all day (plus I sometimes meet folks I know on the trail).

My advice it to take them, wear them, and not worry about them so much. Put thread locker (non-permanent) on all the screws and carry a glasses repair kit just in case (the magnifying lens comes in handy, even for starting the occasional daytime fire). :)

Deacon
02-20-2011, 18:39
The glasses are light, but that means I would need a hard case to protect them too. Also, one of the lenses likes to fall out in the case, so I'd need to add a tiny screwdriver for repair. Base pack weight is hovering around 17lb, but every ounce counts over 2000 miles.

I too have been looking for a lightweight glasses case, but was not able to find anything under 2.5 oz. The answer appeared right in front of me as I opened a box I had ordered. Bubble wrap!

I rolled my glasses in some bubble wrap, taped it up but left the end open.

Total case weight - 3 grams. With the glasses my case, I can squeeze them without damage. Hope this helps.

Sierra Echo
02-20-2011, 18:46
I would take some lens defogger with you!

malowitz
02-20-2011, 19:25
Nixon, greetings from a Latham, NY native!

For my hike, I got contact lenses that you can sleep in and only change out once a month. They were great - it is like having Lasik w/out the risks. I also carried back-up glasses the whole hike. The weight is quite minor. My vision is a bit worse, I think -3.0 or so.

I think there are going to be days where you will really wish you had them. Many days, just hiking along, you probably won't need them. And on rainy, cold days, you certainly won't want to wear them.

Enjoy the hike.

Torch09
02-20-2011, 19:30
I never wore mine while hiking because they would either fog up or get covered in sweat. Either way, I could see better without them, but I did like having them. I usually carried them hooked onto the bandana I wore on my head.

mudhead
02-20-2011, 20:09
I'd get the little quirk of the escaping lens fixed, though.

Agree

Glue would probably work, it's totally not worth whatever the optometrist would gouge me for grinding a new lens.

Clear nail polish. I have chipped the ridge that fits into the groove.

A black fly between the glasses and the eye is pretty much my least favorite thing ever. How many of those evil beasts am I likely to run into NOBO mid-April?

It is only scary when you have a knife in one hand.
[
QUOTE=Storm;1117403]I don't see your age posted so have no idea how long it's been since college. My advise would be to go get an eye exam to be sure your vision hasn't gotten worse. Then follow the doctors advise about whether you should be wearing corrective lenses or not.
[/QUOTE]

Old man smart advice.

It's been about 8 years since I got the glasses (I'm 29 now). My prescription may have changed a tad since then and the sensible thing would be to follow your advice, but I think my limited time and funds would be best allocated elsewhere. Dropping out of day-to-day life is proving to take quite some time.

I now use three different scripts. I was able to go without in my 20's. Might have used up some of my eyeball karma. You need to make time.

Don't be a wingding. Go get an exam. Cheap frames and single vision can be had for less than that music gadget you had to have.:) Hard case comes with nc.

swjohnsey
02-20-2011, 21:07
I only wear glasses when I need to see. The military gives me one free pair a year. They call 'em birth control glasses.

Trailweaver
02-20-2011, 21:16
I also think you should have an eye exam and get the correct glasses for your eyes. If you don't want to do that, I would advise you to get to a good drug store and buy some over the counter glasses with a good eyeglass case and take those with you. It will prove to be much less frustrating if you don't have to take a screwdriver and fix the lense periodically. Come on, you can make this easy!

mweinstone
02-20-2011, 21:41
the millitary glasses look cool i think. only prob is, after a few years in them, and after you realize they dont look so cool to others, you try on lots of other pairs but never feel comfortable in them. so you buy ones that look like them forever. then one day, after my 88th pair and their asociated replacement costs, i tryed the see clearly method. just a pair of paper glasses i made in 5 minutes worn twice or three times for 15 minutes over about a month, and i never wore glasses again. but i must wear the see clearly method glasses about once every 10 years. they block about half the feild of vision causeing your eye muscles to strengthen and giveing them less of a job to do.squinting reshapes the eye correcting sight if you didnt know why we squit. and if you just curl up your hand and look with one eye thru a pinhole of veiw, focus will be drasticaly and instantly improved by the same function. you reduce the feild of veiw and the eye is less strained and strengthens. if you buy the glasses from the see clearly method folks, they cost about 400 bucks!.

mweinstone
02-20-2011, 21:44
it only works for mild myopia and mild, whatevers the other one. and for astigmatism it works in mild cases. strong prescriptions can be reduced dramaticaly but not eliminated as mild ones can.

WalkingUSA
02-21-2011, 01:12
I have worn glasses most of my life. I have worn glasses on every trail I have ever hiked, and my plan is to always carry three pairs. One on my face, two secured in my pack.

This system came in very handy during one of my PCT hikes, as well as for the CDT. At the end of my hikes, I was using pair 3.

I might be a tad more clumsy than most, but being deep in the woods alone with no glasses is a terrifying thought for those who have poor vision.

atraildreamer
02-21-2011, 13:53
I too have been looking for a lightweight glasses case, but was not able to find anything under 2.5 oz.

Dollar store...about 1 ounce for a hard, nearly indestructible, plastic case. :)

I always throw away the cheap cases that the eye docs give out. Considering the price they charge, they could throw in a decent case. :mad:

Have you noticed that some of the dollar store eyeglass frames are better made than the pricey prescription frames? :confused:

4Bears
02-21-2011, 14:31

With all the discount eye places around you probably can get an exam for less than $20 and get a couple pair of glasses for $30 or so true they may not be the most stylish but they ain't totally ugly either. Exam after work and pick up the glasses the next day, not much time out of the day, even Wally World can accomidate. :)

DBCFlash
02-21-2011, 16:21
Get your old prescription and order a pair from China. http://www.zennioptical.com/
I was skeptical, but I ordered a pair anyway. They came in about a week and are as perfect and high quality as any I spent hundreds of dollars on here, actually better than some.
I know some folks hate buying stuff from overseas, but getting a nice pair of prescription glasses for $10 instead of $300 makes it really hard to justify not doing it.

WalkingUSA
02-21-2011, 17:40
Get your old prescription and order a pair from China. http://www.zennioptical.com/
I was skeptical, but I ordered a pair anyway. They came in about a week and are as perfect and high quality as any I spent hundreds of dollars on here, actually better than some.
I know some folks hate buying stuff from overseas, but getting a nice pair of prescription glasses for $10 instead of $300 makes it really hard to justify not doing it.

Thanks for helping to drive down wages even further in the USA. :mad:

DBCFlash
02-21-2011, 19:29
Thanks for helping to drive down wages even further in the USA. :mad:

I am very careful to always purchase locally made products when it's rational, but spending hundreds of dollars more to purchase something that was simply imported and resold with massive mark-ups makes no sense at all. The original poster is obviously cash strapped, and to risk ruining his hike because he cannot afford glasses would be foolish when he can get a spare pair right now for just a few bucks.
If you check the frames used in most local eyeglass retailers, you'll be hard pressed to find any that are made in the USA. I'm sure that many of them are the exact same frames available by ordering them directly, just with massive mark-ups. The US economy isn't going to recover by throwing money at middlemen importers.
But that's just my dumb opinion.

Press
02-21-2011, 21:50
I am very near-sighted and wear my glasses all the time. When camping, I just stick them in a boot at night, then I can find them in the dark or in the morning. It's not a big deal.