PDA

View Full Version : Why do my toes get cold?

jrnj5k
02-20-2011, 18:41
When I hike in the winter the tips of my toes go numb. To battle this i bought a pair of keen growlers which are insulated hiking boots and a pair of smartwool mountaineering socks. Yet I still have frozen toes. What I think is that i may have to much insulation causing my feet to sweat which makes the inside of my boot and sock slightly damp preventing them from keeping warm. Then they are never able to dry out. What do you guys think?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:02
When I hike in the winter the tips of my toes go numb. To battle this i bought a pair of keen growlers which are insulated hiking boots and a pair of smartwool mountaineering socks. Yet I still have frozen toes. What I think is that i may have to much insulation causing my feet to sweat which makes the inside of my boot and sock slightly damp preventing them from keeping warm. Then they are never able to dry out. What do you guys think?

Possibly ..also ..put on a hat..yep..when your feet are cold sometimes a hat on your head will warm em up...You lose a lot of heat through you're uncovered head...As your vital body parts lose heat your body automatically pulls blood from your extremities (feet first) to try and warm the more vital areas, such as your brain, heart, lungs... My feet are seldom really warm when out in the cold..but a hat can help..seriously..

jrnj5k
02-20-2011, 19:06
i wear a fleece beanie

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:08
i wear a fleece beanie

Basically put on a hat or some type of head cover I have a fleece balaclava for when it's really cold..otherwise a hat

jrnj5k
02-20-2011, 19:10
I wear a hat!

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:15
I wear a hat!

Then it could be that what you suspected...your feet may be sweating a lot or it could just be that you are like me and will never have really warm feet when you're you're out in the cold..Mine don't get quite as cold in the insulated boots though as when I wore regular uninsulated boots...I also use Smart Wool socks...

Raul Perez
02-20-2011, 19:16
Do they get cold during the hike or when you are camped? Cant really tell from your original post.

Well if you are hiking and this happens thing about using a vapor barrier liner (VBL) between your feet and your socks.

If at camp thing about using a couple pairs of clean winter socks coupled with a down bootie or other insulated winter camp shoe.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 19:17
If your toes get cold, it may be that your boots plus the socks you wear may be constricting the circulation to your toes. I am not familiar with the boots, but if they have thinly insulated rubber toe bumpers it may actually be contributing to your problem. Try using thinner socks (sounds irrational, I know, but it will help your circulation) and if that doesn't work, try using plastic bread bags either directly over your bare feet and under your socks or over a thin liner sock and under your insulating sock - this will be a vapor barrier which keeps the moisture from your feet from soaking the insulation in your socks. Your feet will not "swim in sweat" but rather the sweat glands will shut down when the humidity withing the bread bags reaches the saturation point. Your feet will only feel damp after you remove your socks.
"Reader's Digest" version-Too tight, too cold - insulation too wet, again, too cold.
Try vapor barriers.

jrnj5k
02-20-2011, 19:17
they get cold when im camped

Suttree
02-20-2011, 19:19
Vapour Barrier (plastic bags)
'Twas my project this winter to Test - very happy with the results.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 19:20
Ok, Tinker, time for another glass of sake :D.

Suttree
02-20-2011, 19:22
Solution: Booties (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 9876&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888393)! The down jacket of winter camping.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:23

Then probably dry socks and some type of insulated bootie worn around camp..this will also give your boots a chance to dry out some....a trick I read by Tipi Walter to dry and warm your boots at night... for next am..when you sack out for the night heat some water put in water bottles ..put inside a sock, sit one bottle in each boot, cap a glove over top of each bottle and cover the whole enchilada with your goose down jacket or parka if it's cold enough you took one with you..

HIPOCKETS
02-20-2011, 19:25
When I lived in Michigan, I left my boots in the unheated garage during the winter. The cold boots prevented my feet from sweating and they stayed cool and dry instead of getting wet and cold.

jrnj5k
02-20-2011, 19:28
after hearing all your recommendations, i think my feet are sweating when i hike causing my socks and boots to get damp. warmlite.com makes vbsocks which i just ordered.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:33
after hearing all your recommendations, i think my feet are sweating when i hike causing my socks and boots to get damp. warmlite.com makes vbsocks which i just ordered.

Hopefully that will solve your problem..Let me know how it works for you and maybe I'll give it a shot too..

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:35
When I lived in Michigan, I left my boots in the unheated garage during the winter. The cold boots prevented my feet from sweating and they stayed cool and dry instead of getting wet and cold.

Hmm..that makes sense too.. a lot of unthought of stuff can be learned here ..as long as it's not so cold the damp boots freeze that sounds like a good idea

catingeorgia
02-20-2011, 19:40
sometimes shoe strings are tied too tight and restrict blood flow. try tying your boots a little more loosely

Tinker
02-20-2011, 19:45

I have owned a pair of Warmlite socks for about 12 years. They work well. Make sure you put them on and trim and sew them to fit your feet snugly, otherwise they may bunch up and cause blisters.

mudhead
02-20-2011, 19:57

Go buy a can of spray anti-perspirant and use it on your feet. Let dry before putting on socks. Then go out in the cold and see if it helps.

Might help get an answer, might be only part. Tight might be part.

I find my feet stay/feel dryer with a polypro liner under wool, than with a single coolmax sock. Year round.

mweinstone
02-20-2011, 22:19
learn to harden your feet and reconize when they need air. untie your laces and remove boots at every stop. even in sub freezing weather, if you see steam comming out and off your feet, thats good. allow it to disipate for even 60 seconds at breaks,, literaly the time it takes to take them off and put them on, and you reset the humidity level to a lower level. remove boots imediatly every time you stop. for just a minute or 10. this becomes a habit and feet respond by being dryer and warmer and stronger against blisters.

SouthMark
02-20-2011, 22:35
Just returned from a Roan Mountain trip with a low of 1.8 degrees first night. By wearing bread bags over light liner socks with wool hiking socks layered over the bags while hiking, it kept my boots from getting wet from sweat and condensation and therefore they did not freeze even while sitting outside on the snow all night. I wore the same combination while I slept and my feet never got cold. Just remember to remove the bags occasionally to allow the feet to dry out and avoid the prune effect.

uncletafka
05-15-2012, 18:16
This could also be just a symptom of poor circulation in your feet. I also have this problem and am trying to solve it partially through diet changes: eating more nuts and vitamin B3. I've also heard garlic helps....not sure but I'm not looking forward to having circulation problems as I age.

HeartFire
05-15-2012, 18:32
as a couple pf people mentioned, the circulation may be slightly compromised. in addition to some of the other suggestions, when your toes are cold, wiggle them! same with your fingers - get the circulation moving. Scrunch your toes (and fingers) in your boots and gloves, while hiking, give it 10 min or so and they will start to warm up.