PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Gear List

dje97001
01-06-2005, 14:45
Okay, this will be close to my first attempted posting of my own gear list. Hope to start April 2006. Some gear I have, some I have yet to get. My wife and I will be hiking together, so some of our gear has been selected for dual-person usage.

All weights are listed as "weight per person" except with single, shared items--then the weight listed is total carried on that object. For example: Tarptent: Cloudburst with floor (38.5 oz.) is 39 oz. total, we each divy
that weight up.
CamelBak: Omega 100oz/3.0 L Resevoir (1 each; 7.6 oz.) is 7.6 oz each.
__________________________________________________ __________
Bold = owned
__________________________________________________ ___________
Tarptent: Cloudburst with floor (38.5 oz)
PUR (Katadyn) Hiker Microfiltration System (11 oz.)
CamelBak: Omega 100oz/3.0 L Resevoir (1 each; 7.6 oz.)
Cups/bowls…?
Sporks (1 per)
AntiGravityGear 2 Qt. Aluminum Non-sTick Cook Pot (8.7 oz.)
MSR: Liquid Fuel Bottle (4.9 oz.)
Ursack: Bear Bag - cos 50 bucks…? (5 oz.)
MSR: Simmerlite (12.2 oz.)
ULA Equipment: P2 (1 each; 53.7 oz)
Therm-a-Rest: Ultralite 3/4 (1 each; 18 oz.)
Western Mountaineering: Ultralite (20 deg; 1 each; 32 oz.)
JagBags: Hi Tech Mummy (need 1 more; 4.75 oz. each)
Leki Makalu Antishock Trekking Poles (1 Pair each; 22 oz.)
Red Ledge Thunderlight Full ZipPants (1 pair each 10 oz.)
Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka (1 each; 13 oz.)
Terramar Transport Micromesh Boxers (2 pr. each)
Duofold Varitherm lt/wt polypro bottoms (2 pr. each--one for camp, one hike; 12 oz.)
Duofold Varitherm lt/wt polypro top (1 each sleep in cold; 6 oz.)
Duofold Varitherm md/wt polypro top (1 each for hiking in cold; 11 oz.)
Smartwool Backpacking Socks (2 pr. each)*
Sock Liners (walmart stretch dress socks? 2 pr. each?)
Boots (trail runners?)
Gaiters (1 pr. each --long)
Duofold Hydroproduct polypro T-shirt (5.5 oz.)
Terramar Transport Micromesh T-shirt (6 oz.)
Columbia hiking shorts (1 pr. each)*
Campmor 200wt PolarTec Fleece Jacket (1 each; 14 oz.)
GoLite Wisp Wind Shirt (1 owned, 1 needed; 2.5 oz.)
Manzetta Poly Stretch Polypro Glove Liners (1 pr. per; 1 oz.)
Land's End: Polartec Aircore-200 Gloves (1 pr. per)
Windstopper Peruvian Fleece Hat (1 per; 2 oz.)
Baseball cap (1 per)*
Bandana (1 per)*
Mole Skin*
Hydrocortisone*
Snake Bite Kit -- seriously, is this a waste?
Gauze Pads*
Duct Tape 6' (each)*
Pocket knife w/tweezers (1 or 2?)
Ibuprofen*
Biodegradable soap*
Wet wipes--moist "towelettes"*
Compass (is this needed?)*
Map/guide sections
Camera*
Sunblock SPF 30*
Sunglasses* Butane Lighter (for priming stove and other fire needs)* 50 ft of cord (each)*
Extra pair of shoe laces*
Wristwatch*
Toothbrush*
Toothpaste*
Toilet Paper*
Bug Repellant (DEET)*
Flintstones Vitamins*
Eye glasses*
Lense cleaning solution*
Extra pair of contact lenses*
Petzl Tikka Plus (1 each; 2.8 oz)
Small Pack Towl (1 per; 1 oz.)
__________________________________________________ __
Before adding 96 oz. of food and 96 oz. of water, I think our average weight to carry would be around 18.5 lbs. each--granted I should carry more than 50% of the load, but I think in colder weather I should be around 32 lbs. max (with 3 days of food and 3L of water).

Okay, let the onslaught begin. Thanks in advance.

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 15:13
Wow, looks like you have done your homework. Great job. We were in the same boat, as we hiked together and shared stuff. I could say a few things about several of the items, but its such a personal choice that the difference would only be things I prefer over what you prefer. I will however, comment on a few things.

Compass--not needed. Go North.
spork--dont buy some Ti spork when you can get a Lexan spoon (which weighs less) for $0.75
Cooking pot--we went with the snowpeak Ti 1400mL pot w/ frying pan lid ($50) and the just a cheap $5 plastic mug
Boxers--dont wear em. Get pants/shorts with built-in liners instead.
JagBag--what is this?
liners--dont need em.
gaiters--get short ones, much cooler and dont ride down as bad.
snakebite kit--yes, it is a waste
UrSack--not needed
CamelBak--platypus is lighter weight
sunglasses--not needed
50 ft cord ea--25 feet total should be fine

Happy planning, buying, and hiking!

kncats
01-06-2005, 15:16
CamelBak - The MSR 4 liter Dromlite bladder only weighs 3.6 ounces. You could save 4 ounces per. We carry one each and fill them as needed based on water availability.
Cups/bowls - We use a 16 ounce lexan cup each, no bowl. Weighs 3 ounces. Eat out of the pot.
MSR: Liquid Fuel Bottle (4.9 oz.), MSR: Simmerlite (12.2 oz.) - You'll probably get a lot of comments on this regarding switching to alcohol. We cook for 2 in a 2 liter pot over alcohol (Trangia) with no problem.
Red Ledge Thunderlight - Don't have experience with these, but an entire set of Frogg Toggs is only 15 ounces.
Sock Liners - I think that the conventional wisdom is that with SmartWool socks you don't want liners. I know the only time I used liners with mine I got blisters.
Snake Bite Kit - seriously, is this a waste? Yes, in my opinion.
Pocket knife - You may want to consider two smnall pocketknives such as the Leatherman Squirt, one with scissors, the other needle nose. The pliers are pretty close to tweezer size.
Compass (is this needed?) - Going to get a lot of disagreement on this, but in my opinion, yes.

SalParadise
01-06-2005, 16:12
There have been long discussions on WB about the value of snakebite kits, but I'd agree they aren't needed. Then again, I've never been bitten by a snake...

With Smartwools you're not supposed to need liners, but if your feet tend to sweat a lot when you hike it's nice to have liners and change them out to help prevent blisters.

I liked my sunglasses. Before the foleage comes out it can still be bright, but certainly sunburn was never a problem, so I'd toss the sunblock.

Just go commando with the shorts and ditch the boxers. For me, the liners in my shorts caused some pain and I cut them out.

Baseball cap: it makes you too hot in the summer because it holds the heat in. consider a golfing-type one or a headband.

You won't need the bug spray right away.

You don't really need soap to begin with, but especially not if you're already carrying wet wipes.

Chip
01-06-2005, 16:24
Good list ! The snake bite kit really won't be much use. The school of thought is to get help ASAP. Granted you might be miles from help. You might want to get a professional (doctor) opinion. Most Wilderness First Aid courses do not advocate the use of a snake bite kit. (You may want to read up on some Wilderness First Aid or take a class before your hike.) Sometimes more harm than good is done when not used correctly. Now on the other hand if you are allergic to bee stings etc... you might want to talk with your doctor in regards to an epipen which will need a prescription and know how and when to use to prevent anaphlactic reactions. Your chance of getting a bee or wasp sting is far greater than a snake bite. Use common sense, stay away and keep out of areas off trail that would be a spot for a snake to hang out in. Always keep your eyes on the trail.

The compass will be of use only if you should leave the trail (blue blaze or any trail that is not well marked. I always carry one. Sometimes practice the skills along with a map.

Best Wishes and Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 16:35
CamelBak: Omega 100oz/3.0 L Resevoir (1 each; 7.6 oz.) is 7.6 oz each. __________________________________________________ __________
Bold = owned
__________________________________________________ ___________
Tarptent: Cloudburst with floor (38.5 oz)
PUR (Katadyn) Hiker Microfiltration System (11 oz.)
I reccomend Iodine or Aqua Mira 1-3 ounces.

CamelBak: Omega 100oz/3.0 L Resevoir (1 each; 7.6 oz.)

You could just carry the bladders. My 100oz bladder only weighs 1.5 ounces.

Cups/bowls…?

Get a plastic gatorade jar or something similar. The lid is a perfect size for two oatmeal or two grit packets, and the lager side holds two cups of beverage. Cheap and light. Mine with a cozy is less than three ounces and has a lot of other uses.

Sporks (1 per)

I think a spork makes a lousy spoon and a lousy fork, but that is your preference.

AntiGravityGear 2 Qt. Aluminum Non-sTick Cook Pot (8.7 oz.)

Spounds like a good pot choice if you are sharing. Otherwise get 2 1L pots.

MSR: Liquid Fuel Bottle (4.9 oz.)

The simmerlite is a little overkill, but if you are happy with it, it should do fine. I would reccomend a pepsi can stove and alcohol.

Ursack: Bear Bag - cos 50 bucks…? (5 oz.)

Just get you a big sil-nylon bag with a loop on the bottom like Equinox makes and put a 50' cord on it for about half the weight and cost.

MSR: Simmerlite (12.2 oz.)
ULA Equipment: P2 (1 each; 53.7 oz)

Good pack.I know a couple of people that have them and love them.

Therm-a-Rest: Ultralite 3/4 (1 each; 18 oz.)
Western Mountaineering: Ultralite (20 deg; 1 each; 32 oz.)
JagBags: Hi Tech Mummy (need 1 more; 4.75 oz. each)
Leki Makalu Antishock Trekking Poles (1 Pair each; 22 oz.)
Red Ledge Thunderlight Full ZipPants (1 pair each 10 oz.)
Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka (1 each; 13 oz.)
Terramar Transport Micromesh Boxers (2 pr. each)
Duofold Varitherm lt/wt polypro bottoms (2 pr. each--one for camp, one hike; 12 oz.)
Duofold Varitherm lt/wt polypro top (1 each sleep in cold; 6 oz.)
Duofold Varitherm md/wt polypro top (1 each for hiking in cold; 11 oz.)
Smartwool Backpacking Socks (2 pr. each)*
Sock Liners (walmart stretch dress socks? 2 pr. each?)
Boots (trail runners?)

If you go trail runners, what I found is I only wear the sock liners during the day for the most part, then add the warmer thicker socks at night in camp during the cooler months. Keeps the mostre down since sock liners dry super quick and keep the feet sweat at a minimum.

Gaiters (1 pr. each --long)
Duofold Hydroproduct polypro T-shirt (5.5 oz.)
Terramar Transport Micromesh T-shirt (6 oz.)
Columbia hiking shorts (1 pr. each)*
Campmor 200wt PolarTec Fleece Jacket (1 each; 14 oz.)
GoLite Wisp Wind Shirt (1 owned, 1 needed; 2.5 oz.)
Manzetta Poly Stretch Polypro Glove Liners (1 pr. per; 1 oz.)
Land's End: Polartec Aircore-200 Gloves (1 pr. per)
Windstopper Peruvian Fleece Hat (1 per; 2 oz.)
Baseball cap (1 per)*
Bandana (1 per)*
Mole Skin*

Just use duct tape. It has a million uses besides blister treatment.

Hydrocortisone*
Snake Bite Kit -- seriously, is this a waste?

You don't need a snake bite kit.

Gauze Pads*
Duct Tape 6' (each)*
Pocket knife w/tweezers (1 or 2?)

Ilike having my own knife and lighter even when hiking with someone else. you may find the same thing.

Ibuprofen*
Biodegradable soap*
Wet wipes--moist "towelettes"*
Compass (is this needed?)*

Yes, the compass is needed, but it doesn't need to be anything elaborate.

Map/guide sections
Camera*
Sunblock SPF 30*
Sunglasses*

My experience is you won'tneed sunblock or sunglasses.

Butane Lighter (for priming stove and other fire needs)*

You should just get those disposable bic lighters.

50 ft of cord (each)*

You probably only need one 50' cord for your food bag.

Extra pair of shoe laces*

You really don't need this. If you use cord for your bear bag, then if you ever need a new lace you can cut a piece from the rope until you get to town. It will only take about a foot or so.

Wristwatch*
Toothbrush*
Toothpaste*
Toilet Paper*
Bug Repellant (DEET)*

You won't need to start with repellant. Get it when the bugs come out.

Flintstones Vitamins*
Eye glasses*
Lense cleaning solution*
Extra pair of contact lenses*
Petzl Tikka Plus (1 each; 2.8 oz)
Small Pack Towl (1 per; 1 oz.)

I see a lot of clothing, what is your strategy for this stuff?

dje97001
01-06-2005, 18:28
1. Frogg Toggs... at $84 I really want them to last, and there seems to be disagreement as to whether they are terribly durable. I've been debating this one for a long time... they are lightweight, no doubt... Are Red Ledge a better quality product (for roughly the same price: 90 (red) vs. 85 (froggs))?

2. Does everyone mail "cooler gear" home--and then get it mailed back? this was one thing I wasn't too sure about doing, it sounds like a hassle. If I do that, I suppose I could get bug spray, sunblock (if I find I need it), or a hat along the way. And you are right, bugs shouldn't be out in the beginning. If I mailed things home, I would probably be able to ship the sleeping bag (keeping the jagbag liner as the summer sack), the polypro long underwear and the fleece and likely be down another 4.75 lbs. or so.

3. Snake Kit... I figured you all would say that.

4. Omega bladder... has a wide mouth plastic screw top. It is pretty convenient so far, but it definitely adds some weight. Right now the rig fits inside my hydration sleeve in the pack quite nicely but I certainly couldn't go with a 4 L.

5. Cup/Bowl... yeah that sounds like a good idea... I know the plastic gatorade mix tops you are talking about and I thought those might work--someone (possibly even you) has mentioned that one before, but it didn't stick with me. Thanks.

6. Ursack... I thought this would be overkill, but it sounded more useful for the mice problem in the shelters than actually would be needed for bears. But, I would also feel kind of stupid spending 50 bucks on a kevlar foodbag.

7. Clothing... This is definitely where I have spent the least (proportionately) amount of time researching. Ultimately, I believe I will need 2 T-shirts (possibly 1 to sleep in and 1 to hike in), 2 lt/wt polypro bottoms (1 to sleep, 1 to hike), 1 lt/wt polypro top (to hike or sleep in), 1 md/wt polypro top for around camp, 200 wt fleece jacket for camp evening/morning or really cold days, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of biker shorts/boxers (I've found these seriously prevent chaffing), 1 pair of shorts, 2 pair of socks, sock liners possibly (I'm still experimenting with them). For hiking in the rain, the wisp shirt (a luxury item at 2.5 oz.) and for camp/really bad rain, the rainsuit (either redledge or frogg toggs). Then I want gaiters (to prevent stuff from hitting me in the legs), gloves (and liners I think) and a warm hat (with earflaps). Thoughts?

The Solemates
01-06-2005, 18:46
7. Clothing... This is definitely where I have spent the least (proportionately) amount of time researching. Ultimately, I believe I will need 2 T-shirts (possibly 1 to sleep in and 1 to hike in), 2 lt/wt polypro bottoms (1 to sleep, 1 to hike), 1 lt/wt polypro top (to hike or sleep in), 1 md/wt polypro top for around camp, 200 wt fleece jacket for camp evening/morning or really cold days, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of biker shorts/boxers (I've found these seriously prevent chaffing), 1 pair of shorts, 2 pair of socks, sock liners possibly (I'm still experimenting with them). For hiking in the rain, the wisp shirt (a luxury item at 2.5 oz.) and for camp/really bad rain, the rainsuit (either redledge or frogg toggs). Then I want gaiters (to prevent stuff from hitting me in the legs), gloves (and liners I think) and a warm hat (with earflaps). Thoughts?

Personally, I think many hikers carry too much clothes. We carried one pair of EVERYTHING except socks. One T, one pants, one long johns, etc. and two pairs of socks. You dont really need more than one pair of anything.

We started Feb 1 and had 2 months of really cold weather (near 0F at night)and my pack was still only 33 lbs (w/3 days food, water). My wife's was 27 lbs.

Here's what I took (starting from Springer):

1 polypro Patagonia top
1 polypro Patagonia bottom
1 Ex Oficio Amphi pants with built-in liner
1 LL Bean microfleece top
1 TNF fleece jacket
1 Marmot precip rainjacket
1 Marmot precip rainpants
1 Wal-Mart Expedition Weight Wool hunter's glove/mitt convertible
1 Mtn Hardwear windstopper hat
1 bandana
2 pairs Wal-Mart synthetic blend socks

I mailed home the TNF fleece jacket and the long johns top and bottom in Pearisburg, VA and traded it for one Tee, when nighttime temps started to get above freezing. (Although we did have one more snow in SNP). I mailed home the LL Bean microfleece in PA, when nighttime temps were around 50F. I picked up a fleece pullover in Glencliff for the Whites (and that was smart!).

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 18:49
Here is my clothing strategy. You could use it to base how you plan to use yours and give you a planning idea:

Worn:
running shoes 32.4 ounces
Minigators 2.9 ounces
Wigwam C-T Tour Socks (sock liners) 0.9 ounces
Whiteblaze Shirt - wicking shirt 7.1 ounces
microfiber underwear 1.6 ounces
nylon shorts 3.7ounces
baseball hat 2.5 ounces
Total - 51.3 ounces

1. SUMMER (60+) CLOTHING
Wigwam C-T Tour Socks - 2 pair 1.8 ounces
microfiber underwear 1.6 ounces
long sleeve Zip-T coolmax 7.6 ounces
Total - 11.0 ounces

One pair of socks, the underwear, and the shirt are basically for camp use.

2. RAIN GEAR
Packa 11.2 ounces
gortex mittens - OR rain mittens 1.2 ounces
ProVent Pants (similar to Frogg Toggs) 5.3 ounces
Seal Skin socks 3.5 ounces
Total - 21.2 ounces

Rain gear can always also be warm clothing. If you need long pants just put on rain pants. If you need a wind break just put on your jacket. If you need gloves or warm socks you also have those. This is why with my worn and summer clothing I can go down to 60.

3. SPRING/FALL (30 to 60) CLOTHING
Arc'Teryx Powerstretch Pants 8.3 ounces
REI Powerstretch Shirt 9.5 ounces
Wigwam hiking socks 2.6 ounces
Wigwam knit hat 2.4 ounces
Brigade QM polypro gloves 0.9 ounces
Total - 23.7 ounces

A warm layer to add to what I already have.

4. WINTER (0 to 30) CLOTHING
Wigwam heavy wool socks 3.3 ounces
OR P300 mittens 1.9 ounces
polypro neck gaiter 2.1 ounces
Modified Field pants liner 8.1 ounces
Kennebec Insulated Pullover 9.7
Total - 25.1 ounces

I prefer the insulation of something like the Kennebeck pullover and the field pants to fleece. It compresses better and it is warmer per ounce than fleece.

That is my total layering system. Total carried weight is only 81 ounces or about 5 pounds.

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 19:17
Clothing... This is definitely where I have spent the least (proportionately) amount of time researching. Ultimately, I believe I will need 2 T-shirts (possibly 1 to sleep in and 1 to hike in), 2 lt/wt polypro bottoms (1 to sleep, 1 to hike), 1 lt/wt polypro top (to hike or sleep in), 1 md/wt polypro top for around camp, 200 wt fleece jacket for camp evening/morning or really cold days, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of biker shorts/boxers (I've found these seriously prevent chaffing), 1 pair of shorts, 2 pair of socks, sock liners possibly (I'm still experimenting with them). For hiking in the rain, the wisp shirt (a luxury item at 2.5 oz.) and for camp/really bad rain, the rainsuit (either redledge or frogg toggs). Then I want gaiters (to prevent stuff from hitting me in the legs), gloves (and liners I think) and a warm hat (with earflaps). Thoughts?

Clothing is always hardest to make recommendations because I have seen a great deal of variation in what people prefer or need. I have seen people bundled up and shivering in 50 degree weather, and I have seen guys comfortable in shorts walking around in snow. You will have to know yourself and be willing to change. I would err on starting with a little more and sending away what you don't need. Send a package home in Pearisburg of what you don't need anymore, and ask for it back up around Connecticut. If you have way too much, most likely you will have figured that out by Neels Gap or Wesser and you can mail home the totally unnecessary fairly early (within the first two weeks) on your trip.

On to your list...

I agree t-t-shirts, one for hiking and one for camp. You might want to make one long and one short so you can have an option based on weather. You could take just one light polypro set and rely on your jagbag liner you plan to bring (my preference) or take the two. In that case I doubt you need a bag liner since wearing polypro will basically serve the same purpose. Other than that I think your list is probably on track. I would just recommend that good advice I have heard before here: if you can't war it all at once, then you need to re-think your system.

Footslogger
01-06-2005, 19:20
A lot of your clothing seems to be "personal choices" so I'm not going to comment. Just try to trim back a bit on the redundant items (eg, you don't need that many T-shirts)

Lose the compass, unless it's really small and you tend to wander off-trail get disoriented.

Leave the snake bite kit at home.

Only take enough first aid stuff for you (each of you). You can re-supply along the way or better yet, keep additional supplies in a bounce box and retrieve as necessary along the way.

If you're carrying bandanas you probably don't need a pack towel. Just something else to keep track of.

I agree with the earlier comments regarding sunblock and bug repellant. You might want some of that stuff at some point on the hike but NOT at the beginning. Suggest sticking it in a bounce box.

If you're carrying wet wipes you could probably do without the TP. I started out with TP and switched over to the biodegradable odor-free wet wipes. Bought the travel sized packets and kept them in a zip lock in an outer pouch on my pack. Much better than TP and has broader use.

Other than that it looks like you've thought it through well.

Happy Trails ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

lightning
01-07-2005, 12:12
SIBBG research has shown the ursack decent for bears but not so much for those small sharp-toothed critters. go figure? during 2 out of 3 nites the ursack was chewed thru... by -mice- (they think). furthermore, as of sept'04 the company has stated that they have had to stop production due to the war (the troops need the material).
because of those bloody gritrats (even when i hang the bag), i too have considered it. now...no. before hanging, i just spray the gorp with insect repellent, mix in some rat poison, and piss on it all. so far, so good. but i do feel strange. :bse [kids, dont try that at camp.]

Youngblood
01-07-2005, 12:38
I've seen some comments about not needing sunscreen for an April start. I was thinking that the leaf cover wasn't until a couple of weeks into April in the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina and that fair-skinned folks like me really needed it or at least something for sun protection until then. Am I remembering wrong?

Youngblood

yogi clyde
01-07-2005, 13:44
Actually sunscreen at the beginning is more important.

I started at Springer April 18th last year, and without leaf cover, some people got sun burned. :sun

I would suggest carrying a small bottle, and refilling it from your bounce box.

Swapping out cold weather clothes and sleeping bag in VA is easier if you have someone at home to rely on. Makes it easier. I swapped my 20 degree bag for a 45.

Clothes, probably the hardest item I had determining too. :confused:
A set to hike in and I like a clean set to sleep in.
1 warm fleece, hat and rain gear.

Almost everyone I know ended up mailing some gear home some where along the beginning of their hike. You will figure it out as you go.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!!!

Peaks
01-07-2005, 20:26
WEll, just some observations among all that has been posted.

First, clothing is personal preference. Start out with what you have on the list. After a couple of weeks, send home anything that isn't getting used (except for cold weather gear).

Compass: It's always on the list of essential items. A small compass weighs 0.3 ounces or so. Carry one.

Simmerlite: Alcohol works great when cooking for one. It's marginal when cooking for two. I suggest trying alcohol on a shakedown hike first and see if you are happy with it. Myself, if cooking for one, I'll use alcohol. If cooking for two, I'll use white gas.

Spoke: It's heavier than a lexan spoon, and costs much more.