PDA

View Full Version : What to get??

thrntnandrw
02-20-2011, 19:40
I'm starting my through-hike within the next month or so and was wondering the best stove available to use. It was recommended to me to use a Jetboil with white gas although I'm unsure as to what model. I've also heard I can make my own stove with alcohol, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Thornton

bert304
02-20-2011, 19:50
You are opening a giant can of worms. Use the search function on this forum and search for stoves. I have been looking for 6 months and I have changed my mind 7 times. There are a lot of interesting stoves to use it all depends on what you want.

Check MSR Wisperlite
Check this web site: Alcohol Stove - Packafeather.com (http://www.packafeather.com/index.html)
Check this web site also: ZZSTOVE - HOME of the SIERRA and SIERRA TITANIUM STOVES (http://www.zzstove.com/index.html)

Tinker
02-20-2011, 19:53
If you're starting within a month or so it's probably not a good time to experiment with alcohol or wood fired stoves.
Get a nice, dependable, simple canister stove like a PocketRocket or Vargo Ti-Jet (or Jet-ti - same stove). Canisters are widely available along the AT and most brands will fit every new stove. Jet Boils force you to use their cookware (unless you buy an adaptor which adds to your pack weight).
Sleep with your fuel on cold nights, and put it inside your insulation layer (jacket) when you reach camp, and you will get more efficient operation.
White gas stoves are relatively heavier and more complicated to operate and repair. They are good for extremely cold conditions but are not necessary for most of what a thruhike requires.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-20-2011, 19:55
I'm starting my through-hike within the next month or so and was wondering the best stove available to use. It was recommended to me to use a Jetboil with white gas although I'm unsure as to what model. I've also heard I can make my own stove with alcohol, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

-Thornton

A lot pf people swear by the jet boil stove..but I'm not 100% sure but I think it uses a Butane and Propane canister.. they may make a white gas model though...I was just looking at an add on one today and it used the butane propane mix canister I think...I'm not sure about propane or the mixture but I had a stove once that used a Butane canister and it didn't work well at all when it was cold.. Butane (Bic) lighters won't work when they're cold until you warm em up in the palm of your hand ..I know that from experience..I guess if you don't go out in cold weather a canister stove would be cool ..
I use a MSR Whisperlite Shaker jet with white gas
There is some good instructions with photos here on WB to build alcohol stove ...here is the URL for that ...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=5409&c=member&imageuser=1030

mweinstone
02-20-2011, 23:18
fill an empty water bottle with denatured alcohol and mark it and wrap duct tape around it so you can feel its not water even in the dark. now empty a can of cat food and fill it with an ounce or three of fuel. set any three rocks around it or any three objects, and place a cheap dollar store pot on it. now start thruhiking and observe stoves awhile. when at an outfitter in town, make your choice.

sixguns01
02-21-2011, 01:03

-Thornton

Check Out Trails Designs Caldera Cone Keg systems. Mine weighs 4oz and is the JetBoil of the Ultralight. Easy and light. It's an alcohol stove and very easy to use. Switched from Jetboil to this at the end of last season and love it. Fuel is easy to find when compared to canisters.

Bucherm
02-23-2011, 05:39

-Thornton

I have the Brunton Raptor, which I use the most. Being a gear addict I have a Whisperlite International I got at an REI sale("I'm actually saving money") annnnnnd I just bought the Jetboil because of Backcountry's sale, so I would have a stove system to loan out to my brother when we camp together.

I definately fulfill my patriotic duty in stimulating the economy.

topshelf
02-23-2011, 13:00
wood gas stove

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-23-2011, 13:23
Jetboil is hella-ez, but it does weigh considerably more than my pocket rocket with a titanium pot. Just depends on your weight requirements, it's also quite bulky. I have both and love them both, I find warming up the butane canister isn't much of a big deal. Although some people don't like to wait. The new jetboil flash I got comes with a can stand and a stove stand (allows other pot/pan systems to rest on the stove) however if you use a different pot... why buy a jetboil? Especially for a thru.

Trailbender
02-23-2011, 13:32
I have the Brunton Raptor, which I use the most. Being a gear addict I have a Whisperlite International I got at and REI sale("I'm actually saving money") annnnnnd I just bought the Jetboil because of Backcountry's sale, so I would have a stove system to loan out to my brother when we camp together.

I definately fulfill my patriotic duty in stimulating the economy.

I hate materialism and consumerism, so I only buy stuff when I really need to. That said, Esbit tabs on a bent piece of sheet metal is what I use. Just as good as expensive stoves, and definitely much cheaper. I have never seen a point in spending more money than you absolutely have to.

Utah
02-23-2011, 13:43
I'd say it depends on what you like to eat. If you like to cook, a canister stove would be best. If your like me and struggle to boil water, an alcohol stove is a good choice.

lowkeywanderer
02-23-2011, 15:11
just got the jet boil GCS which comes with a 1.5 liter pot and i also picked up a 1 liter companion cup so i could make my coffee and enjoy while im cooking my meals ... works great ... i will be carrying an extra canister at all times but im by no means a UL'er ... hope to see you out there im starting NOBO around april 7

Bucherm
02-23-2011, 15:20
I hate materialism and consumerism, so I only buy stuff when I really need to.

I prefer the term "One who enjoys the boons of civilization" good sir. :)

GeneralLee10
02-23-2011, 18:07
fill an empty water bottle with denatured alcohol and mark it and wrap duct tape around it so you can feel its not water even in the dark. now empty a can of cat food and fill it with an ounce or three of fuel. set any three rocks around it or any three objects, and place a cheap dollar store pot on it. now start thruhiking and observe stoves awhile. when at an outfitter in town, make your choice.

Now I know we all say stupid things from time to time, but your telling this person not to put any holes in his can:-? how is this going to work? Unless I'm just not picturing it correct.

The best stove is NO stove. The only thing a stove is good for, is to make muffins which I was darn good at. Still it's a waste of time and more to worry about like clean up and takes up room in the pack. If I were to hike a long distance again I will NOT carry a stove. I did not for the first few months and it was so much more easy to sit down make a sandwich then consume it. While others are still cooking I had "green tea" in hand:D

Jersey Tim
02-23-2011, 18:43
You sound pretty new to the stove game, so simpler is going to be better for you. I'd go with a canister stove, either an MSR Pocket Rocket or a Snow Peak Giga (or similar). It looks like you live pretty close to the West Hartford REI, so head over, grab a salesperson and ask them to help you choose.

Trailbender
02-23-2011, 19:07
I prefer the term "One who enjoys the boons of civilization" good sir. :)

Well, I just don't see the point in spending money when you don't have to.

Rocket Jones
02-23-2011, 19:32
Whatever you get, before you leave for the trail, practice cooking with the stove. Get to know what it will do for you.

Bucherm
02-23-2011, 19:55
eh, nevermind

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-23-2011, 20:29
I think Jersey Tim has the right idea, canister stoves are small enough to not make a huge difference, and they are relatively cheap/reliable.

Skidsteer
02-23-2011, 20:41
Now I know we all say stupid things from time to time, but your telling this person not to put any holes in his can:-? how is this going to work? Unless I'm just not picturing it correct.

You're not picturing it right.

The only reason to punch holes in a cat food can is to set the pot directly on the can and not smother the fire.lf you use rocks to hold your pot above the can it works fine. Probably better, in fact, than a Supercat.

GeneralLee10
02-23-2011, 22:36
You're not picturing it right.

The only reason to punch holes in a cat food can is to set the pot directly on the can and not smother the fire.lf you use rocks to hold your pot above the can it works fine. Probably better, in fact, than a Supercat.

Ahh, I understand what he and you are speaking of now. I was picturing a person trying to put pebbles on the top rim of the can not on the sides. Lol stupid me. Would it not be more difficult to find rocks the correct size for this rather than use a hole punch to make the holes needed? Oh never mind he will figure it out I'm sure.

Good luck on your hike, hope you enjoy it.:):sun

JaxHiker
02-25-2011, 10:45
You sound pretty new to the stove game, so simpler is going to be better for you. I'd go with a canister stove, either an MSR Pocket Rocket or a Snow Peak Giga (or similar). It looks like you live pretty close to the West Hartford REI, so head over, grab a salesperson and ask them to help you choose.

The Giga is a great little stove. Save money and get the manual model. Lighter than the piezo model and one less thing to break. The LiteMax is awesome if you have the cash. Hard to beat a 2 oz canister stove.

And the JB doesn't burn white gas. Just isobutane. It's fast but it's very heavy just for boiling water. Event the upcoming Ti model is too heavy just for that.