PDA

View Full Version : Pack wieght vs body weight

PR Man
02-20-2011, 20:26
Are there any physicians out there?

I've been wondering - is an extra 10 pounds of pack weight going to increase hiking difficulty the same as an additional 10 pounds of "excess" body weight ?

I would kill to lose 5 pounds of pack weight - but 5 pounds of body weight doesn't bother me so much.

Love to hear from someone.

Tinker
02-20-2011, 20:33
Not a physician, never played one on TV, and never slept in a Best Western hotel, but I've done a lot of hiking.
To increase pleasure hiking,
1) decrease pack content weight,
2) decrease pack weight
3) decrease footwear weight (steps 1 [and 2, IMO], are mandatory before this step), AND.............
Increase hiking pleasure.
For camping pleasure, some allowances may be made to the above steps.
:)

couscous
02-20-2011, 20:59
I would kill to lose 5 pounds of pack weight - but 5 pounds of body weight doesn't bother me so much.

Seems one is easier to reduce before hiking, and the other is easier to reduce while hiking. :-?

TheChop
02-20-2011, 21:17
I would imagine it's not an exact 1/1 correlation since fat is placed in optimal positions by the body but I'm sure it's almost the same. After all your knees and feet don't know where the weight is coming from. They just measure the stress.

spoonee
02-20-2011, 22:43
@PR Man- I think the answer is yes and no. Five pounds of pack weight would be the same as five pounds of body weight in respect to the force applied on your knees as you hike. However five pounds of pack weight is only really appreciated (or noticed) when you have your pack on while five pounds of extra body weight is appreciated all the time. You probably would notice an extra five pounds of pack weight while never really noticing the five pounds of body weight as you could never be without it.

If I had to pick one or the other I would definitely choose an extra five pounds of pack weight. Extra body weight, assuming it is extra fat tissue, only adds to the strain/stress the body has to contend with all the time. Studies show that even a few pounds of weight loss can greatly reduce your risk of heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and many cancers. Besides, depending on what you pick as your five pounds of pack weight it could make the trip alot more fun. I've never heard anyone glad they packed an extra five pounds of love handles with them prior to their trip!

Hope that helps as physician input.

Trailweaver
02-21-2011, 04:37
I have friends who have lost significant amounts of weight. One in particular told me that after she lost approximately 70 lbs. she realized that what she had been doing (prior to weight loss) was the equivalent of walking around all the time with a heavy suitcase in each hand. After she lost the weight she had a lot more energy, her knees and ankles hurt less, and she was significantly less tired at the end of every day. She went to the grocery store once and bought a couple of heavy items (like dog food in a 20 lb. bag and a gallon of milk) and carried them to her car. Once she set them down, she had the revelation that the weight she'd just put in the trunk of her car was equal to what she had lost over a 2-3 month period.

So. . . if you have excess weight - pack or personal - you might do well to rid of it before you start at Springer.

valiweva
02-21-2011, 07:02
When I use to run ,I read in a book that every pound extra that you carried caused you to lose 2 seconds per mile from your race pace.I compared a time in the70's to a time in the 90's and my weight differerences and the formula was quite accurate.This was for long distance running .Maybe it could have some relationship to long distance hiking(thru-hiking)?Anyways I am older and fatter now and although I don't like pain I accept it.I have no choice now but to take my fat to Springer or stay home and diet. Quote from a roofer(Wally Bragg) "If the man says the mosquitos can pull the plow,don't ask him how,just hook em' up.

garlic08
02-21-2011, 09:17
This question might be similar to the effect of "sprung" vs "unsprung" mass in a car (I had to look it up, too). Also, for some reason, a few pounds lost from a bicycle frame feels like a huge difference to a cyclist, even to those who weigh a few extra pounds. It may be the same effect.

This may be a question for a physicist as much as a physician.

PR Man
02-21-2011, 18:22
Thanks to all for your comments.

I'm really in pretty good shape - but I am 56 years old and could stand to lose a few (not many) pounds.

But I definitely won't let it keep me from the trail.

Last year I did about 300 miles (Springer to Hot Springs).

This spring I'm doing Hot Springs to Damascus.

Like most "older" guys - I will just have to go a little slower until I get a few miles in.

I am also getting very good at carrying a minimum pack load.

Thank you all again,