PDA

View Full Version : Fire near Dragons Tooth/Pickle Branch Shelter

Hikerhead
02-20-2011, 21:53
http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/277729

jerseydave
02-20-2011, 22:05
Too dry.

Weather shows possible rain soon (tuesday), hopefully it'll help.

Same with SNP, rain tomorrow.

d.o.c
02-20-2011, 22:06
yea i heard bout this its gettn rather big watch out craig

Hikerhead
02-21-2011, 20:23
I took my daypack and hiking shoes to work today to hit Dragon's Tooth and sure enough, they had the parking lot on 311 closed. Didn't see any smoke on the ridge. Drove around to the other side and the only smoke seen was down in the valley, west and below close to where Audie Murphy's monument is. Miller's Cove/Trout Creek Rt621 is hard to see into and they had that road blocked.

hobbs
02-21-2011, 20:30
I guess I will be hiking towards jenny's knob shelter this week. Try and keep out of the way of all the Emergency persons.. I wanted to work that way...Hopefully we get some rain soon.

jerseydave
02-21-2011, 21:52
RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN

Can't hurt

Hikerhead
02-21-2011, 22:18
http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/feb/21/6/wildfire-craig-co-roanoke-co-60-contained-ar-857373/#comments
I found this news report and if you notice at the end when the firetruck is coming up the road, the AT bridge across Trout Creek is visible.

Rain Man
02-21-2011, 23:04
Yeah, I asked 'em to burn off all the poison ivy around there ahead of my May hike! :D

Seriously, though, I hope no one is injured and no one has any property damage.

Rain Man

Hikerhead
02-21-2011, 23:10
Yeah, I asked 'em to burn off all the poison ivy around there ahead of my May hike! :D

Seriously, though, I hope no one is injured and no one has any property damage.

Rain Man

There might not be a Pickle Branch Shelter when you arrive but the water should be good, and charcoal filtered right out of the stream. :)