PDA

View Full Version : kml to gpx to gps transfer = fail

10-K
02-20-2011, 21:55
Ok, I've got Mr. Parkay's BMT kml file and converted it to a format that would import into Basecamp.

The entire BMT is there - from Springer to Davenport gap with all the waypoints, etc.

However, when I try to transfer this to my GPS I only get the first 9.73 miles and the gps gives a message "Track truncated".

Any ideas what I'm running into???

jerseydave
02-20-2011, 21:59
I used mapsource, not basecamp so I'm not sure exactly, but are you sure you are "selecting" all the necessary map sections that are needed in order to complete the set?

royalusa
02-20-2011, 22:09
Does this help by any chance: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=6362

10-K
02-20-2011, 22:11
I used mapsource, not basecamp so I'm not sure exactly, but are you sure you are "selecting" all the necessary map sections that are needed in order to complete the set?

Yes...

The track itself is over 12151 track points and 176 waypoints.

I can use POI loader to copy the waypoints to the GPS but I lose the track.

I really don't care so much about the waypoints - the track is what I'm trying to get on the GPS.

jerseydave
02-20-2011, 22:31
I'm newer to this than even you, but the few times I've downloaded tracks (gpx file) it was through a usb transfer directly to the device as track and waypoints.

I do not use the poi transfer, but then again, different program ?????

Did you ever get than PM I sent you?
I know it talked about the 60csx, but I thought our units might be similar enough for you to get some usable info out of it.

Good luck

The Old Fhart
02-20-2011, 22:38
Check out this link. (http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/tracks.html#points)

2. How much storage is available for tracks?
The unit stores 10,000 trackpoints internally. By default, only 3,000 are shown but that can be changed in the Map setup/Tracks tab.
Essentially unlimited storage can be used by storing tracks on the memory card in setup.

3. What is the active track vs. saved tracks?
The Garmin GPSMap 60CSx keeps three kinds of tracks: active, saved, and stored.
Active tracks have elevation and timestamps. They are the most 10,000 most recently recorded position points. Active tracks will either overwrite the oldest points if set to wrap or will stop recording and display a message if you set it to fill.
Saved tracks are created manually by the user from the keypad. Saved tracks are 'compressed' by the unit to have under 500 trackpoints and have neither elevation nor timestamps and have fewer stored trackpoints.
Optionally, the unit may write tracks to the removable SD memory card as GPX files. These files are immune from the limit of 10,000 points, the settings mentioned above and the compression of saved tracks so they always have timestamps and alttudes. These files can be read by your computer, but the GPS itself will never display them.

10-K
02-20-2011, 23:32
Does this help by any chance: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=6362

Definitely a step in the right direction!

I got the the entire trail on there along with the marked waypoints - but taking it down from 12,151 trackpoints to 500 shorted the trail to 231 miles.

:)

It's a real shame there's a 500 waypoint limit built into these things.

10-K
02-20-2011, 23:40
Check out this link. (http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/tracks.html#points)

Yes, from what I have gathered from reading various forums is that the unit will store as many trackpoints as you have rooom on your memory card.

And you can export them too. BUT, if you try to import more than 500 trackpoints you're right back where you started.....

Doesn't make sense....

10-K
02-20-2011, 23:42
Did you ever get than PM I sent you?
I know it talked about the 60csx, but I thought our units might be similar enough for you to get some usable info out of it.

Good luck

Thanks - lots of info out there for sure. These things have a steep learning curve for sure.

10-K
02-21-2011, 08:44
Update - I used MacGPS to split the 12151 trackpoint file into several 500 trackpoint files.

I then went into setup | map on the gps and changed the default Track Points to 10,000.

I uploaded the split trackpoint files I created with MacGPS to the unit and got a message that the track log was full.

So, out of 25 trackpoint files created with MacGPS I have 20 on my unit - I'm missing 5. 20 * 500 = 10,000 so I guess I'm bumping up against the max 10,000 trackpoint limitation.

I'm getting closer but this still isn't ideal.

Is there no way around this limitation? Hard to believe it's there - especially since I have a 4 GB card that has a lot of room on it

I would even be willing to use Windows... :)

The Old Fhart
02-21-2011, 20:25
I had downloaded and transferred the track file below of the entire A.T. plus all shelters from Guy Mott’s site (http://guymott.com/atgps.html) to my GPS but with 314,000 points in a single file it was a little slow. Although I had no problem with my 62s displaying the file with the large number of points, there are errors in this file and all other track files based on the ATC’s original information. For instance, the track just north of Jeffer’s Brook and through Hanover (where they took the wrong streets through town) is off by several tenths of a mile.

Appalachian Trail GPS Track Collection with Shelters, Full Resolution (6261 KB) = A single file the same as "Appalachian Trail GPS Track Collection, Full Resolution" above plus all shelters including long comments. A .gdb file that contains identical information is also supplied.

What I found worked best was the “My Trails” file from GPSFileDepot.com. It is a ‘transparent’ .img map file that is basically an overlay over the CN or TopoUSA maps you have loaded. This makes for fast updating when you switch map locations and the file has countless side trails as well, including the BMT and all the side trails in GSMNP. From what I’ve seen so far, the accuracy is far better than the other tracks based on the older ATC data. It looks like the smallest ‘step’ is 20 feet so the resolution is excellent even when you zoom way in.

10-K
02-21-2011, 21:15
What I found worked best was the “My Trails” file from GPSFileDepot.com. It is a ‘transparent’ .img map file that is basically an overlay over the CN or TopoUSA maps you have loaded. This makes for fast updating when you switch map locations and the file has countless side trails as well, including the BMT and all the side trails in GSMNP. From what I’ve seen so far, the accuracy is far better than the other tracks based on the older ATC data. It looks like the smallest ‘step’ is 20 feet so the resolution is excellent even when you zoom way in.

Ok, I'm using Mapinstall to put the "My Trails" file from GPSFileDepot on my gps at this very second.

After that, are you saying that the BMT (and other trails) will be visible on my already installed topos? That would be awesome.

The Old Fhart
02-21-2011, 22:21
Here is what "My Trails" looks like on the 62s. I used CN for the background so the background wouldn't be cluttered at this zoom range.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5140/5466534629_0352055770.jpg

10-K
02-21-2011, 23:08
Dumb question: What is "CN"?

The Old Fhart
02-21-2011, 23:13
CN=City Navigator

10-K
02-22-2011, 20:54
Ah... no CN on my eTrex Vista.

But... My Trails is absolutely AWESOME!

Hard to believe it's donationware.

I pulled up the BMT in Basecamp and compared it to the way it's drawn on my paper maps and it looks like a good match. Hopefully in real life it'll be an accurate track.