PDA

View Full Version : need help

wolf
01-06-2005, 20:25
i need help is there a train from harpres ferry to front royal or roc fish gap,is there any body to do shuttle from front royal to rock fish gap :confused:

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2005, 22:24
Wolf--

There's an Amtrak train that leaves westwards from Harper's called the Capitol Limited, but I'm pretty sure the next scheduled stop after Harper's isn't Front Royal, it's Martinsburg, WV.

There MAY be bus service to Front Royal, you'll haveta check with Greyhound.

For better information, I'd call Laura Wright at the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry (304) 535-2087 who'll know all about buses and trains, as well as having some leads on a reliable local shuttler if you need one.

The Gnome
01-07-2005, 13:26
Wolf – I can help you here with some suggestions.

I run a Shuttle service to/from Dulles Airport to the Trail.
Dulles is a pretty big hub for Greyhound so it is useful even if you do not arrive by air.

NoBoing:
From Dulles you can use Service GH3929 to get you to Waynesboro in 3hrs. Unfortunately, it arrives at 22:00 so you will need accommodations in Waynesboro that night. You can probably arrange for a short shuttle up Rt250 to the Rock Fish Gap with your accommodations.
I would not recommend walking on Rt250. If you have to hike the connection there is a side trail from Calf Mtn. Rd (east of town) to the A.T.
When you reach the I-66/Harpers Ferry area, I can shuttle you back to Dulles.

SoBoing:
From Dulles, I can shuttle you to the Hostel at Sandy Hook. From there you hike to the Rock Fish Gap. Again I would recommend the side trail over walking or hitching Rt250 to Waynesboro. GH3920 leaves for Dulles at 08:20, which probably means you need accommodations in town the previous night. Be aware that tickets are not sold in Waynesboro so you need to plan in advance for your return trip. I’ve known hikers who have completed this loop and it seems to work well for them.

I would recommend you purchase Map 11 if you intend using the side trail at Waynesboro.

Contact me off-line if you wish further details.

jlb2012
01-07-2005, 13:48
I would not recommend walking on Rt250. If you have to hike the connection there is a side trail from Calf Mtn. Rd (east of town) to the A.T.

I would recommend you purchase Map 11 if you intend using the side trail at Waynesboro.

I'm trying to figure out which road is Calf Mtn. Rd. - is it the one I marked here (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4215552&e=688755&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25) ?

The Gnome
01-07-2005, 18:10
Calf Mtn. Rd is Va622. But the trail I'm thinking of crosses the A.T. at Beagles Gap (and continues on to cross the Railway on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge). You would need to take the UPPER (622) on HOI's map for about two miles.
I'm going to PATC HQ tomorrow and if I remember, I'll consult Map 11 and try to give better directions.

The Gnome
01-08-2005, 17:22
O.K. here is the skinny on the side trail I tried to describe yesterday:
From the center of Waynesboro you take Rt622 (Calf Mountain. Rd) in a north east direction (not the branch of 622 that goes DUE EAST).
Turn right at the church onto a dirt road and climb up to the Ridge. There is a gate at the S.N.P boundary. This road crosses the A.T. near the Beagle Gap Parking lot and continues east to join another black top in the Charlottesville valley. I would estimate it is about 4 miles from Waynesboro to the A.T. Then you would need to backtrack 5.5 miles to the Gap.
I repeat: I have never tried this side trail, I don’t know if it is legal or even has a name.
I did hear of a thru hiker who used it to come off due to an emergency.
A better plan would be to find someone in Waynesboro to give you a ride up Rt250.
The “Action Jackson” works wonders in that part of the world.