PDA

View Full Version : Day Hikes

Loneoak
02-21-2011, 00:38
If your only out for the day and want to carry a couple meals plus drinks and maybe a few snacks, what kind of pack/size do you use ?

STICK
02-21-2011, 02:01
I had simply used a regular backpack that I used to use when I was in college to tote my books in. Then I found an REI 25L Trail pack very inexpensively so I picked it up. It is very similar to the regular backpack that I used before except it is a little more geared towards backpackers/hikers. It features a hip strap, not belt but strap. This more so helps to stabilize the pack rather than bear weight. It also has a sternum strap for this same reason. It has a bladder sleeve and ports for the tube to exit and it has a side pocket on each side to carry water bottles or something that you want fast access too. Here is a little write up I did on it:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/rei-25-l-trail-pack/

However, I have successfully used this on a very minimalistic overnight trip in the Smokies. (At least for me. The total pack weight was 14 pounds, but I understand that some of the SUL guys carry this much for longer periods of time...) A full gear list and video of the pack being unpacked can be seen by clicking the link above.

d.o.c
02-21-2011, 02:04
just a normal sized daypack deff not bigger than a middle school students book bag.

earlyriser26
02-21-2011, 07:28
I use my regular pack, I am not concerned about the weight since I don't need to save any when you are only carrying 15 lbs.

Rocket Jones
02-21-2011, 10:13
I picked up the Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 at Walmart for day hikes. Big enough to be useful when conditions warrant, I like it a lot. Inexpensive too, around $30.00 I think.

Buffalo Skipper
02-21-2011, 10:36
I use an Osprey Stratos 24. It is overkill as a say pack, but I bought it because it was the smallest backpack I could find with a hip belt capeable of carrying weight. I also use it for training (when I do that which is rare); it can easily carry 20 lbs with comfort, which at 2/3 my usual pack weight, is a good (max) work out load.

It has great features, and I am very pleased with this pack. Very comfortable, good pockets (hip belt and shoulder strap). I also use this pack for my weekend tote bag when I camp with the scouts (car camping style, not backpacking). I generally put my hammock and bedding in a separate stuff sack and put everything else in this one. Very functional. I use it as much or more than I do my full backpack.

ChrisFol
02-21-2011, 11:38
If your only out for the day and want to carry a couple meals plus drinks and maybe a few snacks, what kind of pack/size do you use ?

I used to use a Golite Peak-- 36L capacity, a little under 2lbs and I think that it cost me about $40 at one of their warehouse sales. However I still found this pack is still a little too big for my day hike needs and I have since switched to the REI Flash 18.

In the summer I can easily fit: my misc. items, rain gear, windshirt, down jacket, gloves, hat and then lunch. Although I never do, I could easily just leave my lunch out and throw in my alcohol stove cookset and a FB meal. There are also two daisy chains and separate ice axe loops on the pack.

Loneoak
02-21-2011, 12:03
Thanks for the replies, I had not thought of using it as a training aid. I have a bigger pack (plans for hike through), that is a great idea. Probably be best to start out with a much lighter weight, since I am not use to carrying a pack. 20 lbs sounds much better than 35 :)
I mite should look for one with a decent load bearing waist belt

TheYoungOne
02-21-2011, 17:33
I picked up the Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 at Walmart for day hikes. Big enough to be useful when conditions warrant, I like it a lot. Inexpensive too, around $30.00 I think.

+1 I use the same pack. The only thing I dislike about it is it has no waist strap, but you really don't need it.

Its just a tad larger then a schoolbag pak, and hydration bladder compatable.

Tennessee Viking
02-21-2011, 17:49
I personally think I am rougher on my daypacks than my overnight pack. I throw it in the back my truck and take it to do maintenance, so I don't want to put a whole lot of money into it.

You can just go to Walmart and get you a cheap day pack or hydration pack for day hikes. The Outdoor Product line at Walmart have a nice selection. $15-$30.

Target has a small line of Kelty packs. But they are higher in price.

Freedom Walker
02-21-2011, 21:25
I use an old heavy Gregory because I Use my day hikes for training. I fill water bottles to provide the weight and if I want to shed the weight, I just pour the water out. I know water bottles don't pack well, but its still good training.

Walkintom
02-21-2011, 21:38
+1 for using water bottles to adjust weight as needed.

I have used this method for training and it works well. I just use 2 liter bottles.

I use my regular pack and only put in what I plan to carry that particular day.

R1zbear
02-22-2011, 08:54
I use my regular pack, I am not concerned about the weight since I don't need to save any when you are only carrying 15 lbs.
me too
hehe

BigHodag
02-22-2011, 23:08
Same pack I use on the trail. I keep my $30 Walmart OP Arrowhead (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/03/hiking-backpack-outdoor-products.html) packed at all times. Its nice to have a hammock or cook set handy on day hikes. I usually keep 1-2 days of food and snacks in the pack ready to go. Just add water. (I often jam a liter of Aquafina into a side pocket so the pack is usually fully stocked)

Great White
02-22-2011, 23:43
I personally use the Mountain Hardware Enterprise. It is a good solid pack with plenty of room for a day. It also has a hydration port on the top for a water bladder hose. A small hip belt is attached along with a sternum strap. The shoulder straps themselves are nicely padded. I recommend it. Below is a link to a better description.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Enterprise%E2%84%A2/OU3825,default,pd.html

Spogatz
02-28-2011, 01:22
I use a mountain smith lumbar pack. The biggest one they make. I can haul a lot of stuff if I need to.