PDA

View Full Version : May 2011 hike in central VA before Trail Days

Rain Man
02-21-2011, 12:01
I am planning a 52-mile AT hike for the Nashville Backpackers group on Meetup.com. If anyone else is interested in joining us, please let me know. I can't promise room, but will see how the RSVPs go. At the end of the hike, we will stop by Damascus on Saturday to see Trail Days in full swing.

Plans are still TENTATIVE at this time, but are as follows:

Monday May 9th -- leave Nashville early, drive to Daleville, VA and drop off a vehicle, drive back to Huffman, VA (just north of Pearisburg) and hit the trail at Hwy 42 in Sinking Creek Valley. Hike about 4 miles before dark. Stay at or near Sarver Hollow Shelter, according to how things go.

Tuesday May 10th -- hike about 16 miles, go by the Audie Murphy Monument. Lots of daylight hours this time of year. Lots of spring wildflowers too. Stay at or near Pickle Branch Shelter.

Wednesday May 11th -- 14 miles, with stops at the Dragon's Tooth and Catawba Grocery for pizza and drinks. Stay at or near Catawba Mountain Shelter.

Thursday May 12th -- short miles (8.6), but plenty to do. Stop at McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, two of the most photographed spots on the entire AT. Take our sweet time. Stay at or near Lambert Meadow Shelter/campsite.

Friday May 13th -- 9 miles down hill to Daleville and US Hwy 220 and our vehicle. Take showers and change clothes at motel there, then drive to The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba for an early dinner. Spend night somewhere.

Saturday May 14th -- stop in Damascus and see the sights of Trail Days; have lunch; drive home to Nashville in the evening.

We might throw in some opportunities to do some "trail magic" for this year's crop of thru-hikers.

Questions? Suggestions?

This section hike will complete Virginia for me (except Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, which I am saving). Anybody want to start hiking the Whites or Maine with me later in the summer or fall, perhaps?!

Rain:sunMan

Blissful
02-21-2011, 22:36
No Homeplace Restaurant? A cryin' shame. :)
Oops, just saw it on your itinerary. GOOD

I'd never do a 16 miler that early without conditioning, but that's me. I learned the hard way. Also the section after Sarver Hollow is fairly rocky at first with large rocks on the side of the mtn. Not that easy a footing, and esp if you get rain. I hurt my knee there going SOBO.

Also I don't think the 14 miler near Dragon's tooth to Catawba is a piece of cake either. Some good ups and downs. No water either

d.o.c
02-21-2011, 22:41
sounds like fun hike right there..

Rain Man
02-21-2011, 22:58
No Homeplace Restaurant? A cryin' shame. :)
Oops, just saw it on your itinerary. GOOD

Yep, it's there, but the only way I could fit it in for sure was after the hike. But I made SURE it was fitted in! LOL

I'd never do a 16 miler that early without conditioning, but that's me.

I've already begun my conditioning hikes. I'll hike about 5 days a week between now and then, gradually adding weight till I get up to about 45-50 lbs. On the trail, I'll carry about 25 lbs.

Also I don't think the 14 miler near Dragon's tooth to Catawba is a piece of cake either. Some good ups and downs. No water either

I suspect we might hike farther the first day, which will cut down the 16 miles on the second day. We might hike less on the third day and more on the fourth day, which will cut down on the 14 miles. My group did four section hikes last summer and fall. We did 20 miles one day.

It's all good.

4shot
02-21-2011, 23:07
Rain Man...looks like a nice hike with a great finish at the Home Place. Very interesting stretch of Va.Would love to join you but probably can't get off. See you saturday, we will be at the dinner but won't get over for the day hike

Rain Man
04-06-2011, 21:09
Just bumping this up. I've begun my practice conditioning hikes. Am looking forward to May on the AT. And visiting Trail Days once again.

hobbs
04-06-2011, 21:39
I hope you all have a great hike Rain Man. Sounds like a great trip you are all planning..I will be on my thruhike..Have a great Hike and thanks for Comeing to Virginia...

Rain Man
04-07-2011, 10:50
I hope you all have a great hike Rain Man. Sounds like a great trip you are all planning..I will be on my thruhike..Have a great Hike and thanks for Comeing to Virginia...

Thanks, Hobbs! I've yet to do a bad AT section hike. Any day on the trail is a good day for me so far. And have been to Old Virginny many times now, though this hike will finish off Virginia for me, except the section from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry, which I am saving.

Have a great hike of your own. Who knows... might see you at Trail Days on the Saturday.

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 22:45
Just a bump for this thread. Hike is a little over a week away! :sun

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 06:08
you have a hyperdymentional misplacement of inner deep core material resulting in an estimated downdraft consortium of bankers mono hydroxioding your homeplace meal. corrections made inertia balance restored . hikers exit meal at homeplace walk across street and cam about barn with permission of store selling beers owner and friends of matthewski and all hikers. the traditional fit of the overdraft hiker sections to the homeplace generator is to sleep here.

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 06:10
the p in camp has been surgicaly removed for a better nights sleep.

Cookerhiker
04-30-2011, 08:21
Just a bump for this thread. Hike is a little over a week away! :sun

Hey Rain Man, there's a very good chance you'll run into Stumpknocker. He's sectioning SOBO Pine Grove Furnace-to-Pearisburg with the goal of reaching Pearisburg just before Trail Days and getting a ride. I met him April 12 near Pen Mar and we shared the Free State Hostel that night.

As of then, he didn't have specific ride arrangments so if you guys have space, I'm sure he appreciate a lift.

ScottP
05-09-2011, 20:22
HM, I may be interested in all or part of this hike. sending you a PM

ScottP
05-09-2011, 20:23
oh, you're gone already, doh. This week is finals for us. Maybe I'll catch you up at McAfee's.

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 13:03
Photo Album of the hike (http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-166/photos/1499981/25298411/)

Posted photos to the Nashville Backpacker pages on Meetup.com. It's public, so you should be able to view the pics, if anyone is interested. Most have captions. Help with flower ID is greatly appreciated!

The last portion of the pics is Trail Days.

mad4scrapping
05-18-2011, 16:45
Great pictures and captions, Rainman. I especially love the sign behind Turtle2 in photo 96. ;)

Rain Man
05-18-2011, 22:39
Great pictures and captions, Rainman. I especially love the sign behind Turtle2 in photo 96. ;)

Thanks! Glad you liked 'em. As far as that sign .... shhhhhhh!

Rain Man