PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair to NOC questions

bus
02-21-2011, 12:26
Rocket and I are doing Winding Stair to NOC late March (probably 3/18ish or 3/25ish-weekend warrioring it due to work schedules and that we live in Florida).

I am guessing water should be decent then with the 'thaw'.

Should we expect much of the thru crowd during this time?

Any cool views etc. that we should look for? Campsites taht may not be mentioned in the guide book?

Anyone ever had snow on that section on that time of year?

Thanks

Lone Wolf
02-21-2011, 12:52
water is not an issue in that section. there will be quite a few thru-hiker types. good views from silers bald, wayah bald and wesser bald

Uncas10
02-21-2011, 13:45
Odds are you will see some thru hikers (unless the weather in early and mid March locks them out). But you'll have plenty of water.

wncgarrett
02-21-2011, 16:32
This a great section, I have walk it many times (mostly b/c I live in 10 minutes from Winding Stair Gap). The last time I went was the end of March last year and there was plenty of thru hikers. Water will not be a problem at all either. There also will be plenty of Trail Magic/Angels along the way(thats all nice). As said before the best views are Siler, Wayah, and Wesser (make sure you walk up to the top of Siler, its the best out of the three IMHO) When I went I stayed at the cold springs shelter and walked the rest of the way the following day(2 day trip). The toughest part of the trail is from Wesser to NOC, pretty steep downhill with lots a bigger rocks, but it still isn't that bad. Hope this helps, let me know if you guys need a ride or anything else that I maybe able to help with.

bus
02-21-2011, 16:44
Thanks, we may hit you up. I think Rocket has a buddy in Franklin, so, we may not need a ride. We plan on tenting it. doing it in 3 days. So that should be very doable.

I did Carvers to 19E last year on a truncated trip (a friend- the driver, bailed early). I love that section and am doing an overnighter in June when I go to Bakersville with the wife and youngin.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2011, 16:50
Agree...if it's clear, the view from Silers is awesome. The view from the fire tower after Tellico Gap is something to behold also. I'm kind of afraid of heights, but climbing the tower was well worth it. :)

bigmac_in
02-21-2011, 17:29
Siler Bald - May 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSo7TPfw2Ks

Roots
02-21-2011, 18:07
Rocket and I are doing Winding Stair to NOC late March (probably 3/18ish or 3/25ish-weekend warrioring it due to work schedules and that we live in Florida).

I am guessing water should be decent then with the 'thaw'.

Should we expect much of the thru crowd during this time?

Any cool views etc. that we should look for? Campsites taht may not be mentioned in the guide book?

Anyone ever had snow on that section on that time of year?

Thanks

there is a great campsite about a 1/2 mile or so past cold spring shelter. Plus...wayah shelter does not have many campspots near it so you might be better off continuing on to Licklog Gap since there will probably be quite a few thru's out there at that time.

Waterbuffalo
02-21-2011, 20:11
Siler bald is amazing plan to camp up top the sunsets are great. I'll be hiking burningtown gap to NOC this weekend Ill let you know what else I see

Blissful
02-21-2011, 20:30
Yep lots of thrus but good hiking and views. Get to see the sunrises at the towers if you can. Enjoy.

earlyriser26
02-21-2011, 20:33
My favorite spot to camp on the AT is on the observation platform on Wesser. If the weather is good, you can see for miles. A billion stars at night. My biggest problem was that I stayed up way too late. Once in a while you do get locals coming up from the road. When I was there last we had a church group come in about 10pm.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2011, 21:26
You guys will love that section. About the closest place to hit the AT from FL. There have been major snowstorms around that time. Just keep checking the weather. The other posters have told you the major places. The Wayah and Wesser towers are great places to see sunrises. Wesser has good sunset views. You can cowboy on Wesser if the weather is right (a lot of other people have had that idea). Blaze used to be scared to go up the Wesser Tower, but, now she goes right up. Go figure.

How's the shuttle coming along. Peace out.

JaxHiker
02-22-2011, 12:28
Looking to do this section over Memorial Day. Can't wait. Actually starting at Deep Gap though.

daddytwosticks
02-22-2011, 17:30
JaxHiker...did Wayah Gap to NOC last Memorial Day. Perfect time of year, good water, great views, and met a bunch of fine folks. Happy hiking. :)

JaxHiker
02-22-2011, 18:00
Glad to hear it. Thanks! Really, really, really can't wait. I HAVE to get out of this cube!!

daddytwosticks
02-23-2011, 08:36
Meant to say did that hike Memorial Day WEEKEND. It was fun hiking into the NOC, pigging out, and getting a hot shower before the short drive home. Got there before breakfast ended. Cleaned up and poked around a bit, then went back for lunch! Seriously thinking about this same hike this year or starting at Fontana and hiking into the NOC southbound. :)

Red Beard
02-23-2011, 10:04
Wayah Bald: well worth the climb. Have fun! I never had a problem with water in this section. Cold Spring Shelter was my favorite cooking spot, due to the spring being right in front of the shelter. Campsites above the shelter are preferential to the shelter itself though.

Rocket
03-19-2011, 16:25
My buddy is back in Florida for three weeks. Anyone know of a shuttle from NOC back to Winding Stair Gap? We'd need it on Friday March 25th, early afternoon. Any help would be greatly appreciated:D.

bus
03-19-2011, 17:54
We plan on hitting the trail around 2 or 3 pm on Friday-after the drive up form Florida, hoping to camp on Siler Bald, or very near, the, hike about 8-10 miles each day to NOC on Monday.

Are there many campsites at Licklog Gap? That should be a little over 8 miles past Siler Bald. which will be good for the 2nd night

I figure Wesser Shelter or near there on the third night. Unless someone has a tip for a nice campsite near this mileage.

Then finish up at NOC Monday.

But, yeah a ride back to Winding Stair would be nice.

Attila
03-19-2011, 20:25
Hello bus.

I hiked same section last November. You can see pictures I posted on my gallery (picture No. 0175...~0205...). Call NOC (828-488-7230) Outfitter's Store for shuttle information. The store will not shuttle hikers, however they have business cards for others who do provide rides. We actually got a ride from one of their employee after they got off work. Our original ride never left us hanging, did not bother to show up. Leave yourself enough time to take a shower - In November it was free for hikers - and eat at the restaurant on the river. Excellent food....

Tenderheart
03-20-2011, 14:51
Well, you will definitely see thru hikers. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Two great observation towers on this section: Wesser Bald and Wayah Bald. Also be advised that there is a new shelter about a mile past Wayah Bald that may not be in your Data Book. I agree that Siler's Bald is a great camping place. Actually, this is one of my favorite sections. It's beautiful and not too hard. Be careful. Have a good trip.

litefoot 2000

litefoot 2000

bus
03-21-2011, 15:55
woohoo..3 days or so...

We hope to be on the trail Friday afternoon after the drive up from Central Florida. Hopefully make Siler Bald before dark.

In the event that there is bad weather, are there any good campsites besides the ones on the bald ( let's hope there is no lightning because I am really hoping to camp on Siler Bald)? I guess there are a few at Siler Bald shelter. No?

Also, how are the water sources?

bus
03-23-2011, 09:45
Heading up Friday early morning. Hope to be on the trail mid afternoon.

May need a ride either from NOC back to the Winding Stair Gap or back to Franklin from NOC on Monday. Our other and local ride will not be in town now...

How's the water been in this section? Lots of Thru hikers ??

ALso, just to add even more questions...will my Marmot Pounder (45*) be enough? Or should I carry my Trestles 15* ?

JaxHiker
03-23-2011, 10:03
Ok, enough of this talk. You guys are killing me talking about great views, your favorite section, etc. Thank you for making the next 2 months of sitting in my cube murder while I wait to finally head back up to this section! :D

Kerosene
03-23-2011, 11:02
ALso, just to add even more questions...will my Marmot Pounder (45*) be enough? Or should I carry my Trestles 15* ?You'll definitely want the warmer bag this time of year. I used a 20-degree bag at mid-May last year over this section which was just fine.

bus
03-23-2011, 11:12
You'll definitely want the warmer bag this time of year. I used a 20-degree bag at mid-May last year over this section which was just fine.

yeah, I just checked the NOAA forecast for the weekend...Wesser bald at 29* for Sunday night. Even with teh liner, Worried that my Florida bones wont stay warm in the Pounder...

Gray Blazer
03-23-2011, 14:13
Rocky Bald is a great place to camp and see the sunrise. Recent reports said there is more than one tentsite up there and plenty of trees to hang from.

bus
03-23-2011, 14:24
suppose to rain much of the weekend...so not sure how much sunrise we will see...

But We'll be on the AT...whooo hoooooo!!!!!!

bus
03-24-2011, 10:12
May have a few bumps in my plans to get up there this weekend...Ah the joys of being employed...

In any case, if after our hike, we decided to do a little trail magic, which would be better Winding Stair or NOC?

Gray Blazer
03-24-2011, 10:23
May have a few bumps in my plans to get up there this weekend...Ah the joys of being employed...

In any case, if after our hike, we decided to do a little trail magic, which would be better Winding Stair or NOC?
Tellico Gap or climb up a coupla miles from there to Rocky Bald and put a TM sign at the blue blaze pointing up. Talk about a magical spot.

valeflyfish47
02-23-2016, 10:09
I know this is a very old post.
My wife and I are novice to the AT. We want to start doing some section hiking. We figured to start on Winding Gap to NOC. my wife's sister lives in Franklin so that would be a great launch.
Train up. We do some running and hikes at South Mountain State park.
We were thinking Memorial day weekend. (We'd already have 3 days off and could add one more.)
Thinking 3 days Fri - Sun.
Is this doable?
Will it be crazy/crowded that weekend?
Will the evening temps be mild?.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ScareBear
02-25-2016, 14:52
The weather should be good that time of year, but be prepared for rain.

It will be pretty crowded that weekend and NOC will probably be full-up...