PDA

View Full Version : insure or not?

Megapixel
02-21-2011, 21:48
WOULD it make sense to pay for the insurance on a maildrop, considering there could be over 50 bucks of food in one?

fiddlehead
02-21-2011, 21:52
I use the US postal service all the time for my business.
I have found that they are 99.something reliable.
I will say that if something is insured, it ALWAYS seems to get there whereas, aprox 1 out of 1,000 packages might not if not insured.
So, I, personally, would not bother with insurance.

Blissful
02-21-2011, 22:45
I never did. Priority Mail is fairly reliable. Surface mail is not though.

Tuckahoe
02-21-2011, 23:17
On your hike, do you want to dedicate the time and energy to filing the paperwork and providing the proof of value?

WingedMonkey
02-21-2011, 23:31
I lost one Bounce Box on my tru hike, only one, no mail dropswere lost and the first thing the clerk said was "did you have it insured?".
The clothes I was sending forward would have been worth the small cost.

WingedMonkey
02-21-2011, 23:32
Also, you don't have to prove value, only what you were willing to insure it for.

d.o.c
02-21-2011, 23:40
i wouldnt they do a good job usualy on keep tho stuff straight.. if it was super valuable or somtn then i guess mabe insuranse

Tuckahoe
02-21-2011, 23:51
Also, you don't have to prove value, only what you were willing to insure it for.

Ummmm riiiggghhhttt...

From the USPS website --

What is Evidence of Value?

Evidence of value substantiates an item’s value and any required repair costs. Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable evidence to establish the cost or value of the item(s) at the time the article was mailed. If you are filing your claim online, evidence may be uploaded (as digital pictures or scanned documents) or mailed in with your claim.

Examples of evidence of value include:
· A sales receipt.
· An invoice or bill of sale.
· Copy of a cancelled check or money order receipt.
· A credit card billing statement.
· A final, completed transaction page indicating the amount deducted from an Internet account and identifying the following:
o The purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and proof that the transaction status is completed.
o The web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.
· A cost statement (receipt or invoice) for replacing documents sent via Express Mail.
· Receipt or invoice for the expenses incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.
· Picture from a catalog showing the value of a similar article (only if a sales receipt, invoice, or statement of value from a reputable dealer is not available). The date and place of purchase must be included.
· Paid repair bills. If the claim is for partial damage, you will need estimates of repair expenses or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair expenses may not exceed the original purchase price.
· Other documentation indicating the amount paid:
o For item(s) valued up to $100, you will need a statement describing the lost or damaged item(s), including the date and place of purchase, the amount paid, and whether the item was new or used. If the item(s) mailed are hobbies, crafts, or handmade, your descriptive statement must include the cost of the materials used. Be sure to describe the item(s) in sufficient detail.
o If the item(s) are valued over $100, you will need to provide an official appraisal or copy of receipt of goods sold.

Note: If the item(s) are antique family heirlooms, for which you have no receipt, you may obtain an appraisal from a reputable dealer (at your own expense) to establish the value.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={5d88cc70-3e35-11e0-68d4-000000000000}&event=8&view()=c%7Bd59f8a60-1d52-11de-dd9c-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=5803&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{225c75b0-88c2-11dc-cfcb-000000000000}&bcobjectId={75a1ecb0-6971-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=&topicAndSubtopic=Customer Service$ALL

WingedMonkey
02-22-2011, 00:41
A. I would assume if you had something of value you would have a receipt, or a charge bill, or an internet payment to show. ( Picture from a catalog showing the value of a similar article LOL) If you had any need under warranty you would also need them. (Yes things will break on a 2,000 mile hike) Although of course you would not carry the paper work on you. All off my online outdoor equipment accounts show what I spend and when, so do all my online charge and debit accounts. That is if they really ask.

B. You don't have to stop your hike to do paperwork. And you should already have an online postal account in this day and time. You can fill it out and mail it in later, you can do it at the next stop while you are doing laundry, or you can do it online.

C.Insurance is cheap ($2.75 for $100-$200) Some companies, as in when I sent my boots back for replacement twice, also require insurance. The company will reimburse you. So get use to how it works. Is a camera or ipod sent ahead or back home worth that? Is a tent sent off for replacement or repair, worth that?

D. No I wouldn't bother for food.

double d
02-22-2011, 01:10
Haaaaaaa great post Tuckahoe64, and then even if one could provide this information, one has to "wait" for a refund from the USPS! NOt good.

Ummmm riiiggghhhttt...

From the USPS website --

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?session={5d88cc70-3e35-11e0-68d4-000000000000}&event=8&view()=c%7Bd59f8a60-1d52-11de-dd9c-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&objTitle=&versionId=5803&searchProperties=type:natural&naturalAdvance=false&allStr=&phraseStr=&anyStr=&noneStr=&keywordStr=&tTitle=&topicFromSub=&topicsORSubUrl=&report(0000)=p{225c75b0-88c2-11dc-cfcb-000000000000}&bcobjectId={75a1ecb0-6971-11dd-e6c4-000000000000}&search=&topicAndSubtopic=Customer Service$ALL