PDA

View Full Version : Remove Suspension Stays On Osprey Aether 60

RITBlake
02-21-2011, 22:35
Help! Is it possible? I want to modify the length of the vertical stays inside the pack. Doesn't appear to be an easy way. Anyone know how this is done?

Franco
02-21-2011, 23:05
In the original version they set inside a "pocket" . They were difficult to remove but it was possible
(they were the type with the free squeak included)
From memory the design was changed later on so maybe only surgery will help.
Franco

RITBlake
02-21-2011, 23:35
Well I have the 04/05 model. Can't see any pocket only the flexible black hoop that appears to be attached to the stays

Franco
02-21-2011, 23:59
I sold mine but I did get those stays out of it to put some tape on them to reduce the squeak.
I don't remember how old it was but it had just come out when I bought it.
Franco

grayfox
02-22-2011, 00:10
First, I don't have this pack...

But, I did manage to get the frame out and back into my Atmos with some success, and a great deal of difficulty.

I would say that if you need to modify the stays, the pack is not sized correctly for you and that you probably need to get a different size pack.

However, it belongs to you so do what you think will work for you.

I just think, from my experience, that Osprey framework is designed by computers and built by nonhuman robots or something and that modifying your stays will probably not give you the result you are wishing for. But good luck, hope it works out for you.

RITBlake
02-22-2011, 00:48
True grayfox, I've had it for five years, it fits me great but im moving to a new pack and I want to experiment with this one. Right now the stays run about four or five inches above my shoulders so even with an empty pack it still sits above my shoulders. I want it flush to my shoulder. Just a fun project.

grayfox
02-22-2011, 18:42
OK, maybe you could do 'arthroscopic surgery' on the stays by going in through a small repairable hole with a dremel or small saw? If they are not riveted or attached internally, you might be able to pull them out with a pair of pliers easier than by hand.

I had a real nice, and expensive, Kelty pack that had tall stays and I ended up just leaving them out because they were anoying.