PDA

View Full Version : So what's everybody doing to prepare (physically, mentally) for your thru?

Wobegon
02-21-2011, 23:59
I'm flying from Minneapolis to Atlanta on March 15th at night, having friends drive me from ATL to Amicalola Falls SP early morning on the 16th where I'll head up the Approach Trail on this adventure.

What's the Class of 2011 doing right now to get ready, physically, emotionally, or otherwise to get ready for your thru?

Physically: I've been hiking to and from work for the last month. 4 miles there, 4 miles back with 35 pound pack loaded. Recently we've had 14 inches of snow here in Minneapolis, so that means postholing and climbing up big drifts where people have plowed out their alleys/driveways. I have a pretty physical job at a pottery studio so that helps!

Calf raises and squats/lunges during the day to keep flexing those muscles!

Some Wii Fit every day (maybe 20 minutes) doing the balance games and yoga. I think my center of balance is getting better.

Mentally: Reading as much as I can, finished "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail" and "The Barefoot Sisters: Southbound" in the past two weeks. Scouring over my Thru-Hikers Companion every day. Reading other examples of physical endurance feats to get me in the groove!

Other: Working with gear every day, just little stuff like unloading and reloading tent and stuffing sacks more quickly. Experimenting with different packing configurations inside my pack. I've been sleeping on my pad and in a bag on my floor for the last month so that first night on it won't be a shock!

Let's do this thing! See you all out there on the trail!

Iceaxe
02-22-2011, 00:51
Been training in the Santa Cruz mountains every chance i get. Climbing hills with my pack. They are only 2,500 feet in elevation out here but it's the best i can do and they are really close to where i live.
Taking lots of long walks when time doesn't allow real training.
Arranging to store my pickup and whats left of my worldly goods for the summer at a warehouse.
Bought some short term (6 month) health insurance.
Playing with gear.
Reading Awol's AT guide for the millionth time. (It's a friggin' awesome guide!)
You would think I would be use to it, this being my third thru hike in as many years.
But I have butterflies just thinking about the AT. I am thinking about the simple hard life on the trail and how just when you least expect amazing things happen.
Some people might say I did things in reverse doing the PCT and CDT first but I like to think I saved the best for last.
The AT is the Grand-daddy of American Long Distance trails and from what I hear my friends saying it's going to be a long challenging trail and probably physically the hardest of the Triple Crown.
Been thinking about trail purity; ie. blue blazes and such. On the other trails I pretty much had a set rule that as long as i had a continuous line of steps from Mex to Can i would be(and was) happy and let myself chose harder and easier routes as i went.
Somehow for the AT it seems I might be happier if i stick to a somewhat pure route. Anyhow I am still hashing that out in my head.
Among my friends that have hiked the AT there are strong opinions from both camps.
It's gonna be different having a trail culture and lots of traditions and such so i am preparing to just accept the experince for what it is.. A Long walk in the woods.
Anticipating meeting many great folks on the trail and along the way.
Preparing to approach the AT as a humble hiker and learn what this trail has to teach.
I am starting at Amicalola on the 15th of March, maybe I'll see you on the trail!
Cheers! :sun

Wobegon
02-22-2011, 00:54
The elevation is something I'm going to have to adapt to, living in Minneapolis. I work stairs as often as I can and I'll be moving to stay with my parents for two weeks before my flight so I'll be jacking up the incline on the treadmill.

Hopefully I'll be alright!

Iceaxe
02-22-2011, 01:12
The elevation aspect is an interesting beast. It's different for everybody.
The average altitude of the CDT in Colorado is 11,000 feet. I was in the best shape of my life when I took the Grey's & Torreys peaks alternate but it still kicked my A$$.
I noticed i still got out of breath above 12,000 feet but that my recovery time was shorter and shorter as i acclimated.
I guess thru hikers become elite atheletes but at least for me I still felt pretty mortal at altitude... even after weeks averaging 11,000 feet.
One thing that helped me was finding a slow steady pace. I have a tendancy to try and run up mountains and having my pulse maxed out for long periods of the day was really draining.
After I forced myself to throttle back my daily mileages crept up and i felt better at night and the day after.

Wobegon
02-22-2011, 01:16
Thanks for the tips IceAxe... I'll just have to go slow until I'm used to all those big hills. :)

Tim51
02-22-2011, 10:11
Here's what i have done to get ready: First i learned as much as possible from books, WB, talking to thru hikers, about gear, resupplying on the trail , etc. Once i had all my gear i went camping and light hiking for a few days in January. Then backpacked about 75 miles in Ocala NF. Then last week i hiked from Amicalola to Neels gap. now i am off the trail for a few weeks to get some stuff done. I will be back on the trail for good by mid March at the latest. My pack will be around 19 lbs before food and water. I am ready mentally....physically i need a few weeks more of steady hiking to get my legs in better condition. Right now about 10 miles per day is my comfort zone. That will improve with some steady trail time....i hope.

snifur
02-22-2011, 10:45
prepare??? my wife told me two weeks ago that i can take 6 months off to thru starting in March. i put my gear in my bag. Mentally i have been using the "Force" to prepare. Yoda has wise words of inspiration. I should probably start walking some with the pack.

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 10:48
i didnt do anything.. but slow and steady wins the race....

Sickmont
02-22-2011, 10:54
drink heavily and stare at the calendar a lot.

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 11:16
whhhaaammmyyy:banana

Ogre
02-22-2011, 14:33
Building up stress so I have something to release when I'm out there.

Abusing gear so I start with a bunch of either already broken or newly replaced and untested crap.

Sitting behind a desk all day because I do want this job to be here when I get back.

Turtle Feet
02-22-2011, 15:37

WOW! I thought it was just me!!!

I've done absolutely nothing of merit this winter - except put on 30lbs! (see above)

OK, not totally, but that's about the way I feel looking back. I could have/should have done alot more to prepare physically, but I'm not going to quit, so slow and steady it will be. I'll be in the best friggin' shape of my life 6 months from now!

Right now, taking a lunch break from sewing. Today's project is stitching up my IX underquilt. I've had it on the drawing board for months now, but decided I need to get it finished. It's taking a little longer than expected (don't the dyi's always?), but all I need to do now is stitch the binding on.

I haven't made a trip to the mailbox yet, but I'm hoping my new tarp is here. I have a great OES sil nylon one, but I contacted Brian a few weeks ago about making a cuben. So happens he had some extra cuben fiber laying around, so he agreed (that guy is the best!). I'm very stoked. This tarp will be under 6oz! If it arrived today, I'll be sleeping under it tonight (thus needing my IX to be finished).

SO, that's what I've done to prepare... now off to the kitchen for a vodka grapefruit tonic .... it's 5:00 somewhere - right??? :banana:banana:banana

Sickmont
02-22-2011, 16:40
SO, that's what I've done to prepare... now off to the kitchen for a vodka grapefruit tonic .... it's 5:00 somewhere - right??? :banana:banana:banana

I dig your style.

FritztheCat
02-22-2011, 18:48
Me too Turtle Feet! See you on the trail!

TheChop
02-22-2011, 19:38
Yeap. I'm with everyone else that spent the winter gaining weight. I kept meaning to get back into working out but got sick two weeks ago and then had my back almost go out on me last week and now I'm moving out of my house Feb. 28th and where has the time gone?

Mentally it's not the trail I'm worried about. Right now I'm learning to let everything go and trying to sort of enjoy being comfortable for the little time I have left. I'm also kind of apprehensive because I think these are the last few weeks of being who I am before I do this and after I finish I'll be someone different.

johnnyblisters
02-22-2011, 19:52
I have been trying to get into a regular workout routine but as a carpenter I'm beat everyday anyways. One of the big things I have been doing is brewing up a few strong batches of beer and mead (honey wine) to age while I'm gone. Some members of our local brew club are already arranging a few special maildrops for me...

DapperD
02-22-2011, 21:10
prepare??? my wife told me two weeks ago that i can take 6 months off to thru starting in March. i put my gear in my bag. Mentally i have been using the "Force" to prepare. Yoda has wise words of inspiration. I should probably start walking some with the pack.This sounds like when I have to "Force" myself away from the supper table:D

RichardD
02-22-2011, 21:11
I am spending the Winter skiing, I am newly retired and life has been one huge vacation since June. As of today I have skied 76 days and it should be 95 when I drive home in March. I will have 9 days to prepare for my hike.
Despite some early worries about my knees holding up I think this skiing will have me in fine shape for my hike.
I have some new gear purchased but have not seen it yet since I am away from home. A winter underquilt for my hammock and a Caldera cone stove which I may or may not take with me.
I have bulk freeze dried ingredients on order and will have to mix up my meals in freezer bags during those 9 days.
Mostly I spend my evenings reading whiteblaze and trailjournals, and occasionally posting something.
I fly to Georgia on March 22, a night at the hostel then start my long anticipated hike on 23rd.

Wobegon
02-22-2011, 22:28
Some members of our local brew club are already arranging a few special maildrops for me...

When are you leaving? :cool:

Well, sounds good I guess that some people AREN'T preparing.... Even with working, I've done 40 miles (flat land though) in the past 5 days, woohoo!

HiKen2011
02-22-2011, 22:38
WOW! I thought it was just me!!!

I've done absolutely nothing of merit this winter - except put on 30lbs! (see above)

OK, not totally, but that's about the way I feel looking back. I could have/should have done alot more to prepare physically, but I'm not going to quit, so slow and steady it will be. I'll be in the best friggin' shape of my life 6 months from now!

Right now, taking a lunch break from sewing. Today's project is stitching up my IX underquilt. I've had it on the drawing board for months now, but decided I need to get it finished. It's taking a little longer than expected (don't the dyi's always?), but all I need to do now is stitch the binding on.

I haven't made a trip to the mailbox yet, but I'm hoping my new tarp is here. I have a great OES sil nylon one, but I contacted Brian a few weeks ago about making a cuben. So happens he had some extra cuben fiber laying around, so he agreed (that guy is the best!). I'm very stoked. This tarp will be under 6oz! If it arrived today, I'll be sleeping under it tonight (thus needing my IX to be finished).

One of my favorite drinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!