PDA

View Full Version : Advice on layers please

HockeyGirl
02-22-2011, 09:30
Just to get some general advice....

I'm hoping to hike the AT in 2012 and am trying to work out a layering system that won't see me carrying too much clothing weight.

When I hike here in the UK I tend to wear my thermal top, with a stretchy patagonia top over it (no idea what it is but some wicking type thing) and a fleece jumper over the top of that.

However the fleece does let air through which can make me chilly, so recently I've been substituting it with a Regatta softshell top which is a zip up jacket and seems to keep the wind out better but is so close cut I can't push up the sleeves like I do with the jumper and the zipper thing annoys me a bit.

Can someone give me an idea what they are wearing as this 'top layer'?
I obviously don't want to be carrying both, but each have their good points - I prefer the jumper for feel but not sure it's cut out for the AT keeping me warm?
I will also be carrying a down jacket, but don't really want to resort to having to wear this too much while actually hiking as it's another bulky layer.

Help? :confused:

Red Beard
02-22-2011, 09:38
Polyester long sleeve t-shirt
Nylon short sleeve button-up shirt
Polyester "fleece"
Down liner jacket
Raingear

This is the order I put things on if it gets really cold. I usually hate carrying lots of stuff, but you'll be glad you did when you're freezing in camp.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-22-2011, 09:43
Polyester long sleeve t-shirt
Nylon short sleeve button-up shirt
Polyester "fleece"
Down liner jacket
Raingear

This is the order I put things on if it gets really cold. I usually hate carrying lots of stuff, but you'll be glad you did when you're freezing in camp.

Pretty much ditto for me except my nylon button-up shirt is long sleeves..

garlic08
02-22-2011, 09:49
Ditto Red Beard above, except consider the Marmot Driclime instead of fleece. I found it to be a good substitute for fleece, with less bulk and weight. It has a thin layer of synthetic insulation with a wind-proof shell. It is not rain-proof. I used a down vest instead of a jacket and only wore it once, for a couple of hours, while hiking.

bigcranky
02-22-2011, 14:13
I like the 4-layer system:

base layer, light wool or synthetic
wind shirt, single layer 3-ounces, like the Patagonia Houdini
insulation layer, usually a down sweater with a hood
shell layer, waterproof and breathable, for rain or very cold weather

I'd wear the first two layers hiking, removing the wind shirt as needed. I'd never wear the insulation layer while hiking. The rain shell is for hiking in heavy rain or very very cold wind.

In camp, I put on a heavier weight base layer, like a Capilene 3. Keep it nice and dry in your pack. Then I put on my other layers as needed for the conditions. Add the down jacket when it gets cold enough.

I also carry gloves and a warm hat, two sets for winter hiking, a light set for hiking and a warmer set for in camp.

Note that none of these layers is a "soft shell." In my personal experience, a soft shell jacket is far too warm to hike in, and not at all warm enough by itself in camp. So it's basically useless for my system. That said, my wife wears her soft shell all the time in place of layer #2 in the winter. She needs the extra warmth while hiking.