PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in NY at the CT border?

st0neski
02-22-2011, 10:12
I am planning a trip at the beginning of March to be hiking south from CT/NY border into NY a little ways. I was just wondering if anyone has been in that area lately and what the snow coverage on the trail might look like. Has the trail been hiked since all the snow we have got lately?

KMACK
02-22-2011, 19:47
Have not been on the trail lately but the standing snow has melted down to about 12-18 inches. Its butt cold now but we will be above freezing during the day and below at night for the next couple of weeks or longer. Expect all of the following: ice, snow, mud and some dry spots but over all it will be slick. If I get out in the week or so I'll give you a better up-date.

Leanthree
02-22-2011, 20:01
I was just in Harriman State Park on Saturday for a day-hike. While a bit short of the NY/CT border, I would imagine it is about the same conditions. The trail is mostly very packed down snow with portions being very icy (anywhere that gets strong sun). There are also portions that have turned into mini-streams (1"-4" deep, nothing bad but it may affect your footware choice) from all the melting.

I don't generally use trekking poles on day hikes but really missed having them for stability on the ice or any downhills so I crafted a walking stick for the day. I normally walk 3mph or so with a day-hike pack but was at about 2 mph due to having to go much slower on downhills.

I would imagine a lot can change in 2 weeks but that is what I found.

Rangerpro1253
02-28-2011, 11:07
was hiking in harriman state park this past saturday 2/26/2011, snow cover was still in trails, but melting more from underneath top layers, so while hiking a lot of break throughs and foot going in deep, wear some gaiters so prevent snow from getting in boots, trekking poles are good idea, and enjoy.

Driver8
02-28-2011, 23:17
Still plenty of snow out there above 1000 feet, but melting fast at lower elevations. Trekking poles and spike on the steep slopes help a lot.