PDA

View Full Version : Sad, sad hiker news, "Stewball" '00, '09

Mountain Maiden
02-22-2011, 12:05
Such sad news. David "Stewball" Ackely has passed on. Not many details but apparently, he took his own life.

He touched so many lives with his great humor, writings, art and most of all, his loving kindness to the people around him.

He will be missed by so many people in so many ways. I feel honored to have known him.

S:sun

Rain Man
02-22-2011, 12:12
Did not know that, but so sorry to hear! Condolences, Sunny, to you and his other friends and his family.

Rain Man

WalkingUSA
02-22-2011, 12:13
How sad. Condolences:( for the family.

Mountain Maiden
02-22-2011, 12:17
Did not know that, but so sorry to hear! Condolences, Sunny, to you and his other friends and his family.

Rain Man

Thx RM, will pass it on.

Highway Man
02-22-2011, 12:25
I really wish he is not the guy, "Stewball", I met in Maine in 2009. He was a great guy, caring and easy going. And he was voted by me as the one who had the best beards on the trail. We last met at the first camp site out of Stratton, and gave each other good wishes to complete the whole journey. He will be deeply missed by me. A good guy! My condolences to his family.

Mountain Maiden
02-22-2011, 12:28
How sad. Condolences:( for the family.

yes, it is sad. Have been touched by suicide many times recently and it makes me wonder what we can do in our daily lives to give each other HOPE to side-step this sad occurrence.

Thx for your thoughts.

Mountain Maiden
02-22-2011, 12:29
I really wish he is not the guy, "Stewball", I met in Maine in 2009. He was a great guy, caring and easy going. And he was voted by me as the one who had the best beards on the trail. We last met at the first camp site out of Stratton, and gave each other good wishes to complete the whole journey. He will be deeply missed by me. A good guy! My condolences to his family.

He definitely had the best beard! Thanks for sharing that memory.

Morning Glory
02-22-2011, 12:30
This is just terrible news. I gave him several rides on his 09 thru-hike and I have good memories of him. My heart is heavy.

sparky2009
02-22-2011, 14:37
I met him in Hiawassee when Morning Glory gave him a ride back to the trail. Great guy. Condolences to his family and friends.

wrongway_08
02-22-2011, 15:33
Wow, very sad. Sorry for the loss. I did not get to meet him but all I have heard is good things about the man.

Prayers to friends and family.

tiptoe
02-22-2011, 18:04
So sorry to hear this. My son and I met him in the Whites. He was a really nice person. I enjoyed his Hannah Montana trail wisdom.

WingedMonkey
02-22-2011, 18:23
Finishing the A.T. was like winning the Super Bowl on my way to the electric chair.
--David “Stewball” Ackley

Mountain Maiden
02-22-2011, 20:56
"David A. Ackley, 40, died at his home on February 21, 2011 in Des Moines, Iowa. A Memorial Service celebrating David’s life will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday, February 26, 2011 at Iles Funeral Homes – Westover Chapel in Des Moines. Burial of the cremated remains will follow at Laurel Hill Cemetery in Des Moines.

David was born July 15, 1970 in Des Moines, the son of Alan and Linda Ackley. He attended Des Moines schools and graduated from East High School in 1988, as class valedictorian. He attended college for two years at Principia College in Elsah, Illinois, before setting out to explore the world. He loved the outdoors and hiked the entire Appalachian Trail on two different occasions; from Maine to Georgia in 1999, and from Georgia to Maine in 2009. He was employed by Consolidated Management Company where he was a Director of Client Development. David will always be remembered for his kindness, generosity, and loving spirit.

David is survived by his father, Alan of Des Moines; brother, Steven (Elizabeth) of Indianapolis, IN; and a host of other family members and beloved friends. He was preceded in death by his mother, Linda.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, February 25, at Westover Chapel. Memorial contributions may be made to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)."

Ramble~On
02-23-2011, 15:14
Stewball touched a lot of people. He will be missed.
His "Hannah Montana Hiking Tip" journal entries were genius and his sense of humor was incredible.

Blissful
02-23-2011, 15:57
So sad. Sorry

Jim Adams
02-23-2011, 23:17
....another wise and lighthearted soul is gone.

geek

RandoJoce
02-23-2011, 23:27
May this journey bring you peace.... thank's for the great writting, you sure brighten a lot of those rainy day in 09

Happy trails Stewball

Marta
02-24-2011, 08:03
I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family.

-SEEKER-
02-24-2011, 12:26
I did not know him, but I am glad to know that he was able to experience the outdoors and hiking the AT before he moved on. Condolences to his family and friends.

rambunny
02-24-2011, 12:37
So sad-i remember him as a bright light on the trail.Now he will be a bright star.

Miles
02-24-2011, 17:31
Stewball will be sorely missed in the community. He was loved dearly.

Grieving for such a great loss is normal. If you are grieving and need some assistance, this site might help: www.griefshare.org

If you need other resources, please do not hesitate to write me.

CLM

harryfred
02-24-2011, 21:14
Never met him, LMAO at the Hanna Montanna entries Didn't get it was him, as he entered as Stewball and Hanna Montanna, until Manynames clued me in. He had a talent. I feel a loss and I feel for his family.

jerseydave
02-24-2011, 21:39
Life is a journey
not measured by years or miles,
nor tears or the smiles,
but the fond memories held,
by those left behind

I did not know him, but it would seem as though he touch many, leaving them with fond memories.

My condolences

AndyBees
02-27-2011, 08:43
yes, it is sad. Have been touched by suicide many times recently and it makes me wonder what we can do in our daily lives to give each other HOPE to side-step this sad occurrence.

Thx for your thoughts.

As I am new to the WB forums, I did not know him.

There are folks all around us carrying a "mind" load that gets heavy sometimes! It is quite obvious that this individual had such a load!

Tomorrow is a new day..... I experienced that for almost 10 months back in 1989. Those on the other side of the fence don't have a clue how the load feels, how to carry it, how to lay it down, how to pick it up, etc. Their advice was useless to me. Just being there was far more helpful to me than anyting else! I fulled through it without professional help or meds.

Throughout the entire ordeal, not once did I consider ending it all! I strived to find tomorrow as a new day with new opportunities! Sure, there were let downs and stumbling blocks.....just those things that would have normally been considered just life!

I consider myself a survivor and blessed!

My condolances to the family! RIP

Kermitt
02-27-2011, 10:45
I'm so sad to hear of stewball's death I met him at Rainbow shealter in 09 what a rainny nite. He was quite a person .

double d
02-27-2011, 11:51
I'm very sorry to see anyone pass on, especially someone who is only 40 years old. It is clear that anyone who met him (I had not), that he was liked and respected. I'm sure his death is tough on his family.

owl
03-05-2011, 18:05
There was a very nice memorial service for David "Stewball" Ackley he hiked the Trail southbound in 2000 and North in 2009 the service was at the Dorland Bell Presb Church in Hot Springs, Nc many friends showed up and as well as his Dad Alan Ackley and family from Iowa and Indiana, there were some very beautiful memories past around and some great respect for Stewballs Life and accomplishments, he will be missed by many

takethisbread
03-06-2011, 20:04
Many condolences to his family. Sounds like a good guy.

Joker4ink
03-08-2011, 00:06
I never had the opportunity to meet Stewball but he sounds loved by the hiking community. I would always look for his humorous and entertaining writings in trail registers. It would have been great to meet him. My condolences.

wcgornto
03-08-2011, 00:14
Never met him, LMAO at the Hanna Montanna entries Didn't get it was him, as he entered as Stewball and Hanna Montanna, until Manynames clued me in. He had a talent. I feel a loss and I feel for his family.

I don't recall meeting him either, as NOBOs and SOBOs aren't always on trail when their paths cross. I did, however, look forward to the Hannah Montana entries as I perused each shelter register. It's sad to see someone with such humor go.