PDA

View Full Version : Old Questionnare

Bloodroot
01-07-2005, 11:46
A couple years back I got a book, which many of you might have already, called “Long-Distant Hiking” by Roland Mueser. Mr. Muesser NOBO’ed in 1989 with the goal in mind of interviewing long distance hikers on everything from clothing and gear to coping with loneliness and fatigue. Anyhow, I broke it out the other day and briefly skimmed over it and noticed his interesting questionnaire. This survey used 136 long distance hikers from his 1989 thru as the sample size . Thought I might share some of the interesting results with the answers in percentage from that. Some of you ol’ timer’s might appreciate
J

14. What kind of pack did you carry?
Internal frame 42%
External frame 58%

-Highest rated packs.
Gregory 100%satisfied
North Face 92% satisfied
Lowe 83% satisfied

17. What did you sleep in?
Fiber bag 57%
Down bag 35%
Other 8%

18. Did you bother with underwear?
Half-no, half-yes

20. What kind of footwear do you use?
Running shoes 3%
Light/
Medium boots 63%
Heavy boots 34%

-Highest ratings:
High Tec 81%
Merrell 80%

-Did you wear gaiters?
Half-no, half-yes

21. How many pairs of socks did you wear?
Most wore two, some one or three.

23. What were the most valuable references you used along the trail? (beginning with most valuable)
1. The Data Book
2. Philosopher’s Guide
3. Maps and Trail Guides
About 65% carried the Data Book, 40% carried trail guides

24. Did you take along…
Compass 50%
Radio 40%
Reading material 60%
Camera 85%
Snakebite kit 30%
Journal 80%

25. Did you carry a staff? 65%
If yes, what kind?
A ski pole 10%
A walking stick 20%
Something picked up along the way 35%

31. Did you purify your water?
Always 14%
Usually 27%
Sometimes 41%
Never 18%

-How would you decide?
Appearance, nature of source, proximity of farm animals.

32. If you purified your water, how did you do it?
Iodine 43%
Boiling 11%
Filter 30%
3% used chlorine, 13% never purified

35. How much did your pack weigh the day you started?
Group average= 53 pounds

36. Did you work along the way?
50% worked a few hours at AMC huts for room and board

42. Did you ever unintentionally walk in the reverse direction along the trail? 37 did

If so, how come?
Confused blazing, missed turn, day-dreaming

How far?
Usually 1 to 4 miles

49. How hungry were you in the first few days?
A few were hungry, but most hikers reported that they were not hungry at all

-After a month?
Very and unendingly hungry

- Later on?
Even hungrier

53. Hikers bringing along dogs are always enthusiastic about how it works. What was your experience?
Very mixed returns. Hikers with dogs are enthusiastic. Others are polite but note that the dog create many problems.

Blue Jay
01-07-2005, 11:50
OK, Peaks, how much did you pay him?

hungryhowie
01-07-2005, 12:08

Odd...that's what I was thinking too. :-?

But as we all know, Mueser's book is the definative breakdown of what's goin down on the trail now :rolleyes:

ok. sarcasam doesn't always translate well in type. In case you couldn't tell from the rolling eyes, the previous paragraph was full of it.

Note to mr. Root, my fun is directed at Mueser and Peaks and isn't against you. There have been heated discussions in the past regarding this book, and its value to today's hikers. Some feel that since it is the only lage scale survey of long distance hikers it is still valid. Others feel that, through their powers of observation, they've seen drastically different numbers in many criteria since the book was published.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I needed something fun to do today :banana

p.s. I've never stopped to using a dancing banana before...I feel so ashamed...

-howie

Bloodroot
01-07-2005, 12:15
Glad the amusement could be at my expense. I didn't post this knowing about previous heated discussions, nor that I felt the trail was like this NOW (obviously not?). Not knowing how "it used to be", and this being the only history lesson I have on this, I thought it was funny reflecting on a survey conducted in the past.

Bloodroot
01-07-2005, 12:21
And besides, what isn't a heated discussion around here? I'm just contributing by adding more fuel to the blazing fire.

Bloodroot
01-07-2005, 12:22
And besides, what isn't a heated discussion around here? I'm just contributing by adding more fuel to the blazing fire. ;)

Mags
01-07-2005, 12:24
Glad the amusement could be at my expense. I didn't post this knowing about previous heated discussions, nor that I felt the trail was like this NOW (obviously not?). Not knowing how "it used to be", and this being the only history lesson I have on this, I thought it was funny reflecting on a survey conducted in the past.

Hey..I think it has a good snapshot of the trail 15 yrs ago (stats are from a 1989 thru-hike I believe) The discussion on this book also shows how a book like this could be useful if an updated version was published. However, many people can easily say the need for an updated book...not may people are willing to do it (myself included!) :)

hungryhowie
01-07-2005, 13:15

I didn't assume that you thought this was an accurate representation of the trail now, as evidenced by your choice of title for the thread (old questionnare).

Anyway, I agree, it is funny to reflect on old surveys to see how things have changed.

-howie

P.S. there are many things here at WB that don't involve heated discusions....dogs, guns, cell phones are examples of these things. Whether Ronald Mueser's book accurately reflects the trail now, however...well them's fightin' werds :clap

-howie

rickb
01-07-2005, 13:22
I am thinking the biggest change has less to do with anything on that survey, and more to do with frequency of resupply and nights spent sleeping in town between sheets.

Peaks
01-07-2005, 20:32

I'm innocent. I didn't instigate this at all.

But, the only way to find out if things have changed is to do an updated survey.

If someone can run off copies, I'd like to an updated survey and figure out how things have changed, and what has not changed.

Divining Rod
01-07-2005, 20:42
I read this book serveral years ago and found it to be interesting to see the issues confronting long distance hikers then. Now as I am about to embark on my own thru hike I can't wait to confront some of the same. I will probably make comparisons of then and now at times and although I don't believe I will be writing that book... it would be a good read.