PDA

View Full Version : What is the most inexpensive way to provide simple GPS tracking for parents?

travisap
02-22-2011, 16:23
What is the most simple, inexpensive way for my parents to track me while on the A.T.?

I'm thinking there has to be a small, lightweight device that simply pings my location to a satellite every couple of seconds or minutes (depending on battery life). What might my options be?

I've looked into SPOT but that's fairly expensive at $169.99 + the service fee.

I have a Samsung Wafer phone (about 5 years old) so that would probably only allow GPS tracking under emergency situations.

travisap
02-22-2011, 16:26
I just found the eXplorist GC for sale on ProMotive.com for $89.99 (retail of $149.99). I'm not sure if this allows 2-way tracking or just works as a GPS device for the user.

Anyone know?

Sickmont
02-22-2011, 16:32
Easiest way for them to "track" you on the AT is to go with you.

WY Fan
02-22-2011, 16:33
I'd say cut the strings and check in with them once every other week. but that's just me.

Buffalo Skipper
02-22-2011, 16:44
When I hike the trail, I will have more important things to worry about than where my parents are.

Mags
02-22-2011, 17:37
Spot probably is the least inexpensive/easiest.

If the folks really want their mind at ease and want this ability perhaps you can explain that the SPOT is for them and not you. If they want tracking ability, perhaps they can pony up for the SPOT? Only seems fair...

If that is too expensive, go old school and call the folks every 3-5 days. Phone cards..they work. :sun

Franco
02-22-2011, 17:52
You might be able to just hire the Spot for the duration.
The new one (Spot II) is smaller. lighter and works well in areas the other did not.
It will send out at pre arranged intervals an E Mail with a message and a link like this :
http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=4I9ed/61.73221/-150.67206 (http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=4I9ed/61.73221/-150.67206)
(got that one today...)
Franco

max patch
02-22-2011, 17:55
People at home that need "peace of mind" are gonna freak out when the signal stops transmitting or the "I'm safe" message that some feel the need to send at nite doesn't go thru.

Call once a week in town or send postcards (which is what I did).

Ashevillian
02-22-2011, 18:44
If you have a GPS enabled phone, Google has an app where you can track the phone in the Google Mobile App download. Obviously you need cell service for it to work. We use it on a couple of our drivers (Not being Big Brother, our trucks, our phones). In fact when my buddies and I go downtown, we use it to see where everyone is at.

Ashevillian
02-22-2011, 18:52
Oh BTW it is called Google Latitude. But I must agree with former posters, at 22, it may be time to cut the cord.

bigcranky
02-22-2011, 18:59
You can call them from a pay phone or a hostel every few days. Calling cards are great. Or you can carry a cell phone and a charger -- lighter and more useful than a SPOT or similar device IMO. Verizon has pretty good service in the mountains, and you could send a daily text.

Jersey Tim
02-22-2011, 19:01
Like other posters have said above, a constant satellite ping that tracks you throughout the day is pretty unfeasible. SPOT will do it, but like you've noted, it's going to cost you. There are hikers out there -- particularly in the past few years as coverage has improved -- who take a smartphone with both GPS and 3G data access, so they can blog their location and experiences every so often. If your phone is five years old, you may be due for an upgrade; check with your provider.

Captain Blue
02-22-2011, 19:10
Already mentioned ..... Use Google Latitude on your smartphone. Free and easy.

SweetAss03
02-22-2011, 19:34
You could tell them that you are hiking the AT with a couple thousand others. You will be about a five minute walk to the nearest road and from there it will be about a three minute drive to the nearest town.

lowkeywanderer
02-22-2011, 19:38
off subject but the samsung wafer is a bada$$ phone ... ran mine over back in the day and it continued working!!! only got rid of it bc altell and verizon merged ... as for your gps question unless your parents are funding your trip you shouldnt feel pressured to have them know where your at 24/7 while on the trail but they are parents and they are gonna worry

canoehead
02-22-2011, 19:49
Have your parents post their concerns right here, and ask us for some answers to some of their questions. That won't cost to much.

Wise Old Owl
02-22-2011, 20:03
A new service appeared on Verizon's towers called straight talk. Suggest paper maps or the AT check in web site for the parents.

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 20:41
rock the cell phone and cll them as much as you see fit.. one or twice a week did fine for me somtimes more somtimes less..if u have both the spot and a cell phone thts like carying a rock kinda dnt mke since.. id go with cell phone or phone cards

SassyWindsor
02-22-2011, 20:44
Use the string phones hanging at the shelters.

MkBibble
02-22-2011, 22:30
Use the string phones hanging at the shelters.

... won't work unless they have string phone service installed at the house.

malowitz
02-22-2011, 22:36
Travis - if you upgrade to an Android phone another option instead of Lattitude is My Maps. Although I sort of stopped doing it later in my hike, I did start a "tracking map" where I would try to make a GPS way marker and add a photo to upload. This kept my Mom happy. For all the "cut the cord" stuff people are saying, its important to keep Mom happy and not worried all the time. If you go to my journal, there is a link at the bottom to the map I was using.
postholer.com/malowitz

BigHodag
02-22-2011, 22:38
I used TrailPhone.net (http://TrailPhone.net) for a 2-week section hike last year. Punch in your nearest mile marker and leave an audio message. A hiker icon appears on a map in your approximate location. Free service and works with all cell phones and pay phones. Donations accepted.

SassyWindsor
02-22-2011, 22:49
... won't work unless they have string phone service installed at the house.

Like this guy.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YoEXastJR3Y/TE27fjYGxLI/AAAAAAAAAf8/S3JekXpF4cs/s400/string+phone.JPG

endubyu
02-23-2011, 00:00
I want to share my experience with my family and would want to share theirs as well not only to know they're safe but to know what they're doing, where they are... like the journals that are posted that most of these "cut the cord" asses read. Share with those who love you and care about you and don't feel bad for doing it - hell feel good that people want to know!

Dirty Nails
02-23-2011, 00:52
I carry a SPOT Messenger (2nd generation) when I hike. Here's why:

I usually hike alone, and there is nothing wrong with letting family know you're OK. Those who say "cut the cord" probably don't have children to worry about. Also, I'm willing to bet your folks are at least partially sponsoring you. It's perfectly reasonable for them to expect a "check-in", however you do it.

Most critics forget that this devise can sumon help in an emergency. Not just for the user, but for any victim you may find in need of help. It can also be used on a boat, or on the roadside if you are broken down. Think of it as a personal "OnStar".

It will work reliably where cel phones won't. I sent messages every night from the 100mile wilderness in Maine, among other places. Not too bad for an extra 5 oz.

Also, you decide who can, and how often you are tracked. I send one "OK" message each night when I make camp, I still have the same batteries from last year in it. You can activate "constant" tracking each day, but that would use a set of batts about every 2 weeks.

Yes, there are limitations. But I (and my family) like having that extra piece of mind. Just make sure they understand how it works and have a plan for when they fail to recieve messages. Make sure they know that it could get lost, batteries die, or you could activate it for someone else in need. Like any other devise, it's just a tool.
If they are OK with a phone call or e-mail every few days, then that's fine too.

darkage
02-23-2011, 01:09
check in every 3-4 days when you passby towns ... take a phone card in case cell reception is null .... seriously, its the A.T ... not mount everest. My mom knows my skills will get me through whatever it is i would encounter ... You should simply assure them you will be surrounded by fellow hiker's constantly, if you fall ... twist an ankle or worse ... generally even on the slowest of days, you will be passed by another hiker within a few hours.

jesse
02-23-2011, 04:58
Can't cut the chord, then your not ready to hike.

Bucherm
02-23-2011, 05:07
Can't cut the chord, then your not ready to hike.

Verily.

When I was 22 I was handling bodies pulled out of the Indian Ocean whilst wearing a "poop-suit" during the Asian Tsunami relief.

The OP is 22. Just call in once a week.

couscous
02-23-2011, 06:16
Buy them a copy of the guidebook you plan to use and periodically text them your mileage number. It's quick and simple for you, and much easier for them to follow along with a mileage number like 476.3 than a message that says Beartree Gap Trail.

Lilred
02-24-2011, 19:55
Really now, I have a 22 yo son. Maybe it's your parents that need to cut the cord. You're a man now, they're gonna have to accept that. I'm a teacher, and I see parents that over coddle their children every day. Does the kids no good at all.

theeulogy
02-24-2011, 21:24
I am getting the PN-60w by delorme. I do a lot of solo hiking, my wife is always on me to find someone to hike with. Most people I have found have proven highly undependabl. It will work anywhere and is easy on batteries. If you are going to use a Droidx be aware that you will HAVE to charge it at least every 2 days, with the Spot it lasts weeks and uses common aaa bateries. I was told by my wife that if I did the AT that this was mandatory. So I will carry it.

couscous
02-24-2011, 22:14
The fun of being a parent of adult children - encourage updates and you're told to cut the cord - don't encourage updates and they think you don't care. My "children" know I appreciate receiving text messages or emails while they are traveling (especially in other countries), but they are free to decide if and when I get any updates. If they were hiking any major trail, I would be following along in the guidebook or on the map with great interest.

Mags
02-24-2011, 22:30
For whatever it is worth, I did the LT at 23 yo and called once every five days roughly. When I did the AT a year later, even less.

Mind you, I have a very protective Mom. (and a Catholic one at that..super-duper guilt powers!)

If she survived, I think yours can, too. :)

Again, if she absolutely, positively insists on a SPOT/Cell phone updates/carrier pigeon HAVE THEM FOOT THE BILL. Only seems fair. :)

Now I am older.... Mom gets less calls on my outings. My significant other only asks that A) I call when I am heading back from the trailhead when I am in cell phone range B) I leave a basic itinerary of my planned outing.

She knows at some point fairly soon I'll be taking off again for weeks (if not months anytime soon..but I'm working on that!) and we already agree that a phone call is not necessary except maybe once a week (more remote areas).

It works for us anyway.

I am lucky she is an outdoors person. (And growing up in Cold War-era Eastern Europe, I think the idea of being tracked easily is anathema to her! :D)

endubyu
02-24-2011, 23:46
I'll be 50 when I hike it this summer. My dad is 84 and would love to go. I'm not checking in - I'm sharing my hike. Should I "cut the cord"? Quit being so ****ing judgemental and just answer the question posed.

Lilred
02-25-2011, 00:09
I'll be 50 when I hike it this summer. My dad is 84 and would love to go. I'm not checking in - I'm sharing my hike. Should I "cut the cord"? Quit being so ****ing judgemental and just answer the question posed.

Well, that's an absolutely ridiculous analagy. A parent that is 84, with a 50 year old son is hardly the same as a 22 yo with a parent that wants daily updates just cause they 'worry'. If he wants just answers to a direct question, should have been posted in the straight forward forum.

And just because you put asteriks doesn't change the fact that you curse in a public forum. Nice manners!! You may be 50, but you sure haven't grown up.

endubyu
02-25-2011, 00:45
I didn't put asterisks - WB did. I used profanity on the forum cause arrogant self righteous ******** piss me off sometimes. OP asked a simple question asking for help so I reiterate spare us all the judgmental bs and answer the question in a helpful manner. ty

jesse
02-25-2011, 01:13

Get over yourself endubyu, "checking in' is not the same as 24/7 GPS monitoring.

Bucherm
02-25-2011, 04:53
I didn't put asterisks - WB did. I used profanity on the forum cause arrogant self righteous ******** piss me off sometimes. OP asked a simple question asking for help so I reiterate spare us all the judgmental bs and answer the question in a helpful manner. ty

People did. I guess you didn't like the "You're 22, you don't need to have mom and dad monitor 24/7" response.

(FWIW I like Couscous suggestion, the OP almost certainly has a cell that he can use to text mileage every now and again.)

Buzz Saw
02-25-2011, 08:24
I have to agree with the * guy. I'm starting my thru in a couple of weeks and there are people at home that need to know that I'm OK. Just because you want to give family and friends a little piece of mind or want to share your adventure with them does not make you some kind of candy ass. I'm old enough to do what I want, but while I'm away my better half is obligated to take over my duties as well as those she normally has. If by cut the cord you mean walk away from your responsibly to others well I guess that tells us something about you doesn't it. My answer to the question is SpotII 4.5ozs.

10-K
02-25-2011, 09:00
If they're really concerned, explain what the SPOT does and see if they'll buy you one and activate it.

As far as "cutting the cord" - advice, especially on internet forums, is worth what you pay for it.

I don't know if you need to cut the cord or not but I do know that life works a lot better when I choose my battles. Sometimes I do things that I don't want to do, or that don't make sense because it's more important for someone else to get what they want than it is to me.

You can also create future goodwill by letting the other guy win from time to time.

Mags
02-25-2011, 10:32
If they're really concerned, explain what the SPOT does and see if they'll buy you one and activate it.

That's my take-a-way from this: If someone really wants you to do something that you don't necc. want or need... have them foot the bill. :)

10-K
02-25-2011, 10:49
That's my take-a-way from this: If someone really wants you to do something that you don't necc. want or need... have them foot the bill. :)

It's completely reasonable and that's a battle I would fight, all other things considered.

wornoutboots
02-25-2011, 11:18
I carry a SPOT, no tracking service, & I check in when at night to give my wife POM

darkage
02-25-2011, 14:21

49 years old an that pissed you off? ... Wow, Speaks for itself.

travisap
02-25-2011, 14:33
If I ever log on to google (gmail) it will automatically update Google Latitude and provide my location for anyone to see. I think I'll just use that.

The only reason I want GPS tracking is because my father would enjoy jumping online to "see" where I'm at. I've been to Europe twice and had minimal contact with them when I was there so that's not the issue.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Lilred
02-25-2011, 15:57
Have you thought about keeping an online journal??? You can upload pics as you go too. You can also buy a map of the AT from the ATC I believe and he could keep that up on the wall to track your progress. There is also this interactive map on the ATC website where he can see the shelters you pass...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4850633/k.9733/Interactive_Map.htm

RWBlue
02-25-2011, 16:55

I agree with you.

There is a time to cut the cord and there is a time to share.

For me, I am a day/weekend hiker. I call my parents before I hit the trail and when I get off the trail. They are my backup plan in case I don't get off the trail.

If your hiking the AT, your companions you make the first week are you backup plan.

I would suggest a smart phone. Log your journey and share that.

Smithwick
03-25-2011, 14:32
http://www.followmee.com/default.aspx seems to work well.

darkage
03-25-2011, 14:58
http://www.followmee.com/default.aspx seems to work well.

Yeah it does, and you only need to run it when you want it to update the location, insteed of running the battery dead and having it follow your route ... I've used it on a few weekend hikes around pa and its worked great ...

Kermitt
03-25-2011, 18:26
Look on E-Bay I bought one for $60.

weary
03-25-2011, 20:53
My suggestion is to encourage him to go along. The result may not be just what you have planned. but it may be very much better.l

fcoulter
10-23-2012, 19:42
My issues with any smart phone based solution are 1) lousy battery life, 2) poor GPS reception, and 3) hiking into no coverage zones. I haven't tried SPOT or it's competitors, but I know that my cheap GPS (eTrex 20) finds its location much faster than my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and its batteries last much longer. It's very easy to toss a couple extra AAs into my pack if I'm going out for an extended trip.

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2012, 20:24
Oh BTW it is called Google Latitude. But I must agree with former posters, at 22, it may be time to cut the cord.

It works then it doesn't = problem.... the program has issues. tried it for a few years.

Another Kevin
10-24-2012, 06:28
My issues with any smart phone based solution are 1) lousy battery life, 2) poor GPS reception, and 3) hiking into no coverage zones. I haven't tried SPOT or it's competitors, but I know that my cheap GPS (eTrex 20) finds its location much faster than my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and its batteries last much longer. It's very easy to toss a couple extra AAs into my pack if I'm going out for an extended trip.

A few tips for those who go the route of GPS-via-smartphone.

(1) Leave the phone in airplane mode. The primary reason for this is battery life. If you're out of coverage, a phone uses a tremendous amount of battery shouting "I'm here!" and hoping for an answer from a tower. Since you're polite and won't spend your trail time yakking (you can't actually, you don't have coverage!), just turn that part off.

(2) Cell-phone GPS units are usually designed to run in 'assisted' mode where they download the ephemeris (essentially, the timetable of where the GPS satellites will be in the sky, and when) over the network. If forced to run in 'autonomous' mode, they can take 20 minutes to find the satellites and actually start tracking. And I've had at least one Android phone where Location Services would have a temper tantrum if it couldn't get its GPS ephemeris, and wouldn't start working again until I pulled the battery on the phone. One thing that helps is to pop out of airplane mode and turn the GPS on, letting it run until it gets a fix, when you have coverage. Remembering to do this before you lose cell signal on the trail makes for better tracking all weekend.

(3) Turn off the other unnecessary functions (kill the Wi-Fi, dim the backlight to where you can just read the screen, and so on) when you're not using them.

(4) Remember to turn off the GPS when you stop.

(5) If you pop out of airplane mode to contact someone, text rather than phoning if possible. It uses a lot less juice and gets through in marginal coverage where voice won't.

With these techniques, I can usually manage to record tracks for a couple of days on my Galaxy S3 before I need a recharge. If I'm going out for a clueless long weekend, I carry an extra battery pack.

pnkwolfe
10-24-2012, 08:45

CarlZ993
11-11-2012, 19:15
The Spot device works great (especially the new version). I link mine to Facebook so all my friends and relatives can keep up w/ my adventures... not just the 10 people that Spot allows you to have.

A parent always worries about their child(ren). Then, grandkids are added to worry about. That's just part of the package deal.