PDA

View Full Version : Final NOBO 3/23 Gear List

TheChop
02-22-2011, 19:24
I posted a version of my gear list I took on the Foothills trail back in December. I clocked in at something like 22.38 pounds base. After that hike I examined my needs, changed tents, went light with everything I could and got brutal about cutting things. As it stands now I'm hovering at 19.20 pounds although last night when I put everything in the pack and weighed it using the method of putting it on and getting on the bathroom scale, taking it off and weighing again and doing subtraction the total came to 17.6 pounds.

CLOTHING # oz total oz
MH Typhoon Jacket 1 15 1/8 15.125
OR Fleece Hat 1 1 5/8 1.625
GoLite Reed Pants 1 6 1/2 6.5
TNF Gloves 1 2 7/8 2.875
Arcteyx Fleece 1 9 3/8 9.375
SW Long Underwear 1 7 3/4 7.75
Heavy Wool Socks 1 3 1/2 3.5
Light Wool Socks 1 2 5/8 2.625
Water Shoes 1 2 2
3.21 pounds 51.375 ounces

SLEEPING # oz total oz
Inflatable Pillow 1 3.7 3.7
MB Spiral #1 1 34 34
NeoAir Large 1 19 19
SMD Lunar Duo 1 42 3/4 42.75
Tyvek Footprint 1 2 2
6.34 pounds 101.45 ounces

CARRYING # oz total oz
13 L Dry Sack 1 1 1/2 1.5
ULA Catalyst 1 49 49
.5 Liter Dry Sack 1 5/8 0.625
20 L Dry Sack 1 1 7/8 1.875
3.3125 pounds 53 ounces

KITCHEN # oz total oz
Ti Cup 1 1 1/4 1.25
Aquamira 1 3 5/8 3.625
1 L Platypus 2 7/8 1.75
Platypus Nipple Top 1 1/4 0.25
Alcohol & .5 L Plat 1 7 7
Stove 1 5/8 0.63
Windscreen 1 1 3/8 1.38
Ti Spoon 1 1/4 0.25
Ti Pot 1 4 7/8 4.875
Rock bag 1 1/16 0.0625
Bear Rope 1 7/8 0.875
Soap 1 1 5/8 1.625
Toothbrush & Paste 1 1 3/8 1.375
Matches 1 1/4 0.25
1.57 pounds 25.19 ounces

MISC # oz total oz
Bandanna 2 1 1/4 2.5
FIrst Aid Kit 1 8 8
Knife 1 2 7/8 2.875
Sunblock 1 1 5/8 1.625
Carabiner 1 3/4 0.75
Zebralight HL 1 2 1/4 2.25
Pen 1 3/8 0.375
Toilet Paper 1 1/2 0.5
Notebook 1 1 1/4 1.25
Towel 1 5/8 0.625
Tent Repair Kit 1 5/8 0.625
1.34 pounds 21.38 ounces

ELECTRONICS # oz total oz
Camera 1 6 6
AA Lithium Batteries 8 5/8 5.00
Kindle Case 1 5 5.00
Camera Batteries 3 5/8 1.88
GPS 1 5 1/3 5.33
SPOT 1 3 7/10 3.70
Cell Phone 1 3 3/4 3.75
USB Charger 1 1 7/8 1.88
Kindle 1 8 7/10 8.7
Camera Charger 1 2 3/8 2.375
Cell Battery 1 5/8 0.625
Camera Case 1 1 7/8 1.875
Watch 1 3/4 0.75
2.93 pounds 46.86 ounces

WORN # oz total oz
Pants 1 12 1/8 12.125
Nike Shirt 1 6 1/2 6.5
Heavy Socks 1 3 1/2 3.5
Poles (Pair) 1 20 3/4 20.75
Shoes 1 35 1/2 35.5
SW Boxer/Briefs 1 3 1/4 3.25
5.10 pounds 81.63 ounces

CONSUMABLES Number Ounces
Water per liter 1.5 35 1/4 52.875
Food per day 4 32 128
11.30 pounds 180.875 ounces

TOTALS ounces
Carrying 53
Kitchen 25.19
Sleeping 101.45
Clothing 51.375
Misc 21.38
Electronics 46.86
Worn 81.63
Consumables 180.88

Base Weight 299.25 oz
18.70 lbs

Skin Out 380.87 oz
23.80 lbs

Max Weight 480.12 oz
30.01 lbs

Everything 561.75 oz
35.11 lbs

Base weight = just what's on my back without food & water
Skin out = Everything worn/carried without food & water
Max weight = just what's on my back with food & water estimates
Everything = everything worn/carried with food & water estimates

I "upgraded" from the Tarptent Rainbow to the SMD Lunar Duo at the cost of 10-12 ounces. Just didn't enjoy the Rainbow very much on my Foothills hike. Wish SMD made a dual vestibule tent closer in size to the Lunar Solo but oh well. I realized on the Foothills shakedown I didn't want to skimp on the tent space. I'm a big guy and by cutting elsewhere I could make up the ounces.

Changed out my Gregory pack for the ULA Catalyst. Loved the Z65. Great fit and never had any trouble with it. I saved about a pound in changing out and the ULA feels great so far. I don't think I'll have any issues.

Fiddled with a few things. Got a larger dry sack for clothes and sleeping bag. Got a titanium coffee mug instead of the blue cowboy one I was using. Changed out my shoes. Had some really heavy Merrell's on the Foothills. Terrible. Went with the Moab ventilators in high top.

Dropped the Pantagonia down sweater I was rocking. Since I have a Mountain Hardware Typhoon rain jacket I figure it plus my fleece should be good enough. I experimented on the Foothills with this and after the first day tried to stay away from the down sweater and wore the rain jacket as insulating outer layer in camp. It was cold and it seemed to work alright. Saved nearly a pound there. Decided to drop the long sleeve Smartwool and go with a short sleeve t-shirt. The t-shirt seemed like the more versatile of the two. My thinking went that if I was too cold in camp the Montbell would warm me up. On the shakedown it got really cold and I never felt like I needed long sleeves on in the bag. Might make for a couple of cold nights if it gets down into the high 20's but I can live with that. It was 45/50 highs and high 20's low 30's for lows during the five days. Maybe colder I didn't have a thermometer.

Added some things and took away some things from the first aid kit. It's in a lighter dry sack now. I was trying for 6 ounces but added a thing of quick clot in and it got back up to 8 ounces which is what it was originally. It's a better kit now though so at least it's more efficient.

The other addition was a food hanging system from zpacks.

Overall I added a bunch but subtracted a bunch and at the end of the day lost 2 pounds or so while bringing in a lot more comfort. Got everything out last night and took pictures for you fine folks as well.

Feel free to comment and make suggestions although I feel like this is pretty much what I'm going to go with. Start date March 23rd NOBO on the AT.

TheChop
02-22-2011, 19:26
Well now I feel stupid for taking the time to space out all those numbers in nice easy to read columns. It sure did make a mess of them. First number is number of items. Second is ounce of individual item. Third is total weight. Second number uses fractions of an ounce. Third/Total uses decimals. Tragic.

STICK
02-22-2011, 20:45
Sounds like you spent a good amount of time going through your stuff and eliminating what you didn't use as well as adding/upgrading what you felt you needed. As well, looks like you have tested what you have and found that it works for you. In this light, I would say that if it works for you that is all that matters. Besides, 30 pounds for everything including consumables, IMO, is a great start. Anyway, as you go along you will probably end up losing some more of your gear that you may come to not need...of course you will once it gets warmer anyway...

Our gear lists are actually pretty close to the same, although I will not be heading out on my thru for at least another 2 years...

Some questions though...

Are you planning to use the MB Spiral #1 for the entire hike, or will you be swapping it out for something cooler/lighter?

Will you be using another pad in conjunction with your Neo for colder temps? I have used a 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad with my Neo successfully in the mid teens. (I found that for me the Thinlight pad works much better on top of the Neo.)

What size is the Tyvek ground sheet you are using with your Lunar Duo? Did you cut it down some? I bought the Tyvek Ground Sheet from SMD when I bought my Lunar Duo and it is actually a little smaller than the LD's footprint, but it weighs 5 oz.

Will you be using a bounce box? If so could you bounce some of the extra batteries and the chargers? That would help drop a little weight out of your pack.

Just curious what kind of food hanging system you got from ZPacks? I just got an order in today I placed with him last Friday. I got 50' of the 1.4 mm Dyneema Z-Line, one of the mini carabiners, and the Large Blast food bag. It all weighs 1.7 oz together inside a ziploc sandwhich bag. Sweet.

Will you be keeping an online trail journal?

Llama Legs
02-22-2011, 21:32
I was looking for small items as I scrolled down. Then I hit your electronics. Really? I'd trade them all in on an iphone...

TheChop
02-23-2011, 00:25
Are you planning to use the MB Spiral #1 for the entire hike, or will you be swapping it out for something cooler/lighter?

I'll be trading it in for something different in Pearisburg or Damascus but nothing is planned out officially yet. My cold to warm swap will probably involve sending the rain pants, jacket and sleeping bag home possibly at different points and replacing them at outfitters along the way. The Typhoon is heavy and by then I should have lost weight to fit into a L and go with a rain jacket that weighs about half of that. The sleeping bag would be the same idea. I have a cooler Lafuma bag I used for my previous hikes but it weighs as much as the MB.

Will you be using another pad in conjunction with your Neo for colder temps? I have used a 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad with my Neo successfully in the mid teens. (I found that for me the Thinlight pad works much better on top of the Neo.)

I didn't have any real problems with the Neo on my Foothills trek. I'm sure carrying another pad would help and it's always an idea if I get to the Smokies and it's supposed to be really cold or something but I would probably call up for my Pantagonia down sweater at that point. Before the Neo I used a Big Agnes non insulated pad.

What size is the Tyvek ground sheet you are using with your Lunar Duo? Did you cut it down some? I bought the Tyvek Ground Sheet from SMD when I bought my Lunar Duo and it is actually a little smaller than the LD's footprint, but it weighs 5 oz.

This is actually the Tyvek ground sheet I bought with my Tarptent Rainbow. Which might not be a great idea... but oh well!

Will you be using a bounce box? If so could you bounce some of the extra batteries and the chargers? That would help drop a little weight out of your pack.

Really really really don't like the idea of being tied down to a bounce box. Also don't like the expense. The batteries are for the SPOT/GPS :rolleyes:. It sucks but it seems like the GPS goes through the batteries extremely quickly so I'll have to be buying/refilling them very frequently anyway and coordinating with my support person on them. Mom will be the support person. She's also the reason I'm carrying the SPOT.

Just curious what kind of food hanging system you got from ZPacks? I just got an order in today I placed with him last Friday. I got 50' of the 1.4 mm Dyneema Z-Line, one of the mini carabiners, and the Large Blast food bag. It all weighs 1.7 oz together inside a ziploc sandwhich bag. Sweet.

Just got the rope from them. I forget which kind exactly and the rock bag. I had the dry sack from before as food bag.

Will you be keeping an online trail journal?

Probably just typing things up on facebook or using Google Docs along with keeping notes. I plan on spending time afterwards writing everything up. It's sort of what I do and one of my reasons for going on the trip. Far too much rewriting, etc. to just put it out there on a trail journal.

TheChop
02-23-2011, 00:29
I was looking for small items as I scrolled down. Then I hit your electronics. Really? I'd trade them all in on an iphone...

The only thing an iPhone does really well is the least of my priorities in regards to electronics. It makes calls. It's a mediocre camera, a mediocre e-reader and a mediocre GPS unit. Camera>Kindle>GPS>phone in my book. There is literally no way I would be content to take photos with a phone's camera and if I used it in my tent to read I would be running into town every two days to charge it. It doesn't even have a removable battery. I understand the logic but for my needs it doesn't work.

BrianLe
02-23-2011, 12:53
"It sucks but it seems like the GPS goes through the batteries extremely quickly so I'll have to be buying/refilling them very frequently anyway ..."
Seems to me that if you're going to carry a standalone GPS (I would not), that one set of batteries should last you the whole trail. It's so very well marked, and it's been so very well plotted by others that I don't see a reason to keep the GPS on to track continuously. ? If you do go the smartphone route, then just learn to use the GPS on your phone (at least if it's one with a real GPS chipset).

I guess SPOT makes sense if it's a requirement of your parent(s). I'm carrying one on my next trip, but definitely would never carry one on the AT.

TheChop said:

"There is literally no way I would be content to take photos with a phone's camera and if I used it in my tent to read I would be running into town every two days to charge it. It doesn't even have a removable battery."

I've used my older smartphone as my only camera on two long trails now, and was satisfied --- not thrilled, but satisfied. Newer phones are getting better cameras. My new phone (Droid X) has a really nicely done panorama feature that I quite like.

But it's the AT --- not that much scenery overall anyway. You won't get much in the way of wildlife shots, but you may not anyway. The moose often stand still for photos (as do the cattle). Pictures of other hikers and still landscape scenes come out okay. And your photos are then already on (for me at least) an internet capable device that I can directly upload from, often while on the trail.

Recharging: I agree about the iPhone battery. Some folks get some sort of add-on for this, I prefer to carry a spare battery for another brand of phone. But charging every two days isn't necessary if you're careful about power usage. A spare battery and charging in hostels, motels, restaurants, etc worked fine for me on the AT last year, I never ran out of power, was always able to journal and take photos (main uses), get an occasional weather report, and sometimes upload journal entries from the trail.

W.r.t. a neo-air inflatable pad:

"I'm sure carrying another pad would help and it's always an idea if I get to the Smokies and it's supposed to be really cold or something but I would probably call up for my Pantagonia down sweater at that point."

If insufficient ground insulation is what's making you cold, adding a down sweater is going to be an inefficient and weak way to deal with the problem. I started last year a month earlier than you plan to and a neo-air plus 1/8" and 1/4" thinlight pads combined worked for me. I suggest that you get a 1/8" thinlight from Gossamer Gear and carry that throughout. Put it under the neo-air when you don't need the warmth, and be careful when rolling it up to remove any embedded grit. Doing this will, IMO, reduce odds of a puncture. On colder nights put it on top of the neo-air.

Tent change: hard for me to relate to this one, but it's a conscious choice, anyway. I can't imagine wanting to carry a 2-person tent to use solo, but I hiked a lot of miles with one fellow that swore by that approach, so each to their own.

What are "water shoes" and why are you carrying them??

I suspect that you won't use the bear rope and rock bag much if at all --- for me, at least, anywhere I was concerned about bears had poles or lockers.

Carrying a Ti cup and pot? If the cup is of sufficient size (mine is 850 ml) I would think that's all the "pot" you need too, depending on your cooking style.

There are a few places you could save a bit in "misc" if you wanted to push it --- lighter knife, light, etc, drop the tent repair kit (there are shelters along the way, plus duct tape). But no big deal there.

You're not starting super early, so I truly don't see the point of the GPS or the SPOT.
5 oz for a Kindle case? I hope that really, really protects it. I've been happy with a smartphone to replace most of that stuff, but it's not for everyone (and not a cheap approach).
The thing about the Kindle is whether you'll really find yourself reading much. I never read while on the trail --- just hike all day, cook, talk with others, sleep. Iterate until Katahdin. I did infrequently like to read something on my phone in towns but could have lived without that.

What are the Golite Reed pants for? I'd ditch them. Even in colder weather, I at least don't find that I like rain pants when walking (too warm, get wet from sweat), and when in camp, just get inside your shelter.

I think it's possible that you'll be on the cold side occasionally with just a fleece, depending on how warm the fleece is, and what exactly you do in camp. I personally would be inclined to carry a very light down jacket or vest, something like 6 oz worth or less. If you have the coin, consider just replacing that fleece (assuming you never ever like to wear it while actually walking) with a Montbell EX Light down jacket --- warmer and lighter for use in camp.

I don't mean anything negative in the above --- I'm impressed at how well you've analyzed this and laid out the details. I do think you can bring your baseweight down some, however, and that it would definitely make a difference to do so. And of course, inevitably some of my own personal biases are part of my response, and there's no "one size fits all" answer here.

Best of luck on your trip!

TheChop
02-23-2011, 14:54
Seems to me that if you're going to carry a standalone GPS (I would not), that one set of batteries should last you the whole trail. It's so very well marked, and it's been so very well plotted by others that I don't see a reason to keep the GPS on to track continuously. ? If you do go the smartphone route, then just learn to use the GPS on your phone (at least if it's one with a real GPS chipset).

I guess SPOT makes sense if it's a requirement of your parent(s). I'm carrying one on my next trip, but definitely would never carry one on the AT.

TheChop said:

[QUOTE=BrianLe;1119089]
I've used my older smartphone as my only camera on two long trails now, and was satisfied --- not thrilled, but satisfied. Newer phones are getting better cameras. My new phone (Droid X) has a really nicely done panorama feature that I quite like.

But it's the AT --- not that much scenery overall anyway. You won't get much in the way of wildlife shots, but you may not anyway. The moose often stand still for photos (as do the cattle). Pictures of other hikers and still landscape scenes come out okay. And your photos are then already on (for me at least) an internet capable device that I can directly upload from, often while on the trail.

I majored in film production and have a bit of a plan in regards to photos and camera. I actually upgraded the camera specifically for this trip. And I agree after awhile the trail gets monotonous from a photo stand point. Until you get me a phone camera that can do f-stop adjustment, ISO adjustment, macro, and has a decent CCD chip in it I'll stick with the point and shoot. I carry it on my sternum strap and use it a lot.

Recharging: I agree about the iPhone battery. Some folks get some sort of add-on for this, I prefer to carry a spare battery for another brand of phone. But charging every two days isn't necessary if you're careful about power usage. A spare battery and charging in hostels, motels, restaurants, etc worked fine for me on the AT last year, I never ran out of power, was always able to journal and take photos (main uses), get an occasional weather report, and sometimes upload journal entries from the trail.

I also just have a normal boring cell phone and would have to buy an iPhone and break my current contract.

W.r.t. a neo-air inflatable pad:

If insufficient ground insulation is what's making you cold, adding a down sweater is going to be an inefficient and weak way to deal with the problem. I started last year a month earlier than you plan to and a neo-air plus 1/8" and 1/4" thinlight pads combined worked for me. I suggest that you get a 1/8" thinlight from Gossamer Gear and carry that throughout. Put it under the neo-air when you don't need the warmth, and be careful when rolling it up to remove any embedded grit. Doing this will, IMO, reduce odds of a puncture. On colder nights put it on top of the neo-air.

I think I can manage. The idea of sending in the down is I already have it all bought and ready to go. :D But those are cheap and if I really run into issues I'll keep it in mind.

Tent change: hard for me to relate to this one, but it's a conscious choice, anyway. I can't imagine wanting to carry a 2-person tent to use solo, but I hiked a lot of miles with one fellow that swore by that approach, so each to their own.

Part of it was my air mattress slipping which would have been easy enough to fix with seam sealer on the floor. I kept waking up under the solid side wall of the tent. Then there was condensation. I kept waking up with my face three inches from this wall which was covered in water. The last night it rained and I abandoned tent because it wasn't seam sealed and leaked. I went to my friend who was using my old Hubba Hubba. I sat there dry and warm and realized how awesome sleeping in the Hubba Hubba was. You can also see where I'm coming from in terms of including a 1 1/4 ounce titanium coffee cup. After carrying a 4+ pound Hubba Hubba around for a month everything seems light.

What are "water shoes" and why are you carrying them??

The water shoes are these: http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Someone recommended them in another thread. I bought a pair of crocs as camp shoes and before I used a pair of shower shoes as camp shoes. The crocs were too heavy for me but I figure if I wear these with socks they'll do alright. And they're only 2 ounces so it's not like it's a make or break weight.

I suspect that you won't use the bear rope and rock bag much if at all --- for me, at least, anywhere I was concerned about bears had poles or lockers.

I'm extremely bearanoid. I did a total of a month of backpacking last year and saw/encountered five bears. One of them spent an hour trying to get into my Bear Vault and one of them ripped open some douche's pack at Tri-corner Knob. Jon Turturro says not to **** with Jesus. I say not to **** with bears.

Carrying a Ti cup and pot? If the cup is of sufficient size (mine is 850 ml) I would think that's all the "pot" you need too, depending on your cooking style.

I considered this but I really like coffee in the morning. I could use the pot for coffee since I normally haven't been cooking breakfast but it's a 700 ml pot and the cup is seriously this tiny little titanium coffee cup. At 1 1/4 ounces it seemed like nit picking. The old blue cup I carried was like 4 1/2 ounces.

There are a few places you could save a bit in "misc" if you wanted to push it --- lighter knife, light, etc, drop the tent repair kit (there are shelters along the way, plus duct tape). But no big deal there.

Considered dropping the tent repair kit as well but it also serves for Neoair repair kit.

You're not starting super early, so I truly don't see the point of the GPS or the SPOT.
5 oz for a Kindle case? I hope that really, really protects it. I've been happy with a smartphone to replace most of that stuff, but it's not for everyone (and not a cheap approach).
The thing about the Kindle is whether you'll really find yourself reading much. I never read while on the trail --- just hike all day, cook, talk with others, sleep. Iterate until Katahdin. I did infrequently like to read something on my phone in towns but could have lived without that.

I hope it really really protects it to. I went out with just a waterproof "case" that was an ounce or two on the Foothills. I came back with a broken Kindle. I believe this was due to me palming the screen when it was laying on the floor of my tent but it could have happened in my pack as well. On past hikes I've tended to read a lot. Not constantly I did a 16 day hike in the Smokies with a friend. Carried Grapes of Wrath. Didn't read at all the first week. The second week I finished the book. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping even after hiking. It's nice to bring up a book, turn on the light and read a little and maybe just close my eyes and drift off and relax.

What are the Golite Reed pants for? I'd ditch them. Even in colder weather, I at least don't find that I like rain pants when walking (too warm, get wet from sweat), and when in camp, just get inside your shelter.

I carried them on the Bartrum in October of '09. We had the remnants of a hurricane come up on us and it rained for an entire day. I didn't regret having them then. I then went hiking in April on the Duncan Ridge and sobo on the AT. I left them at home because it was April with a high of about 60-65. It rained all day one day and I was freezing.

I think it's possible that you'll be on the cold side occasionally with just a fleece, depending on how warm the fleece is, and what exactly you do in camp. I personally would be inclined to carry a very light down jacket or vest, something like 6 oz worth or less. If you have the coin, consider just replacing that fleece (assuming you never ever like to wear it while actually walking) with a Montbell EX Light down jacket --- warmer and lighter for use in camp.

I'm not sure I can actually get a down jacket that weighs 6 ounces or less that would fit me. I'm currently 6ft 265lbs and honestly the Pantagonia is a little snug after this winter! I wear the fleece while hiking and wore it constantly on the Foothills when it was 30-40. The down sweater was just a nice 12 ounces I could lose easily enough since it was more or less camp wear and backup for my old crappy sleeping bag.

I don't mean anything negative in the above --- I'm impressed at how well you've analyzed this and laid out the details. I do think you can bring your baseweight down some, however, and that it would definitely make a difference to do so. And of course, inevitably some of my own personal biases are part of my response, and there's no "one size fits all" answer here.

Best of luck on your trip!

Thanks for all the input. I like thinking everything out and it's good to have someone give the other opinion. The last time I posted this a lot of the advice I got was stuff I'd considered but decided not to go with. After the Foothills trip though I reassessed and decided to change some ways. If my goal was just weigh I obviously could lose a lot of the electronics and shave a pound or more off the sleep system but for me I feel 3 pounds is such a small percentage of my considerable body weight that I can afford to be a ounce mouse instead of a gram weenie.

BrianLe
02-24-2011, 20:52
I have a couple of pairs of those same water shoes; the soles are extremely thin, but if you slip in the inserts from your normal shoes/boots they're not bad. Not super robust, and not something I'd want to walk very far in --- for example, going off to fetch water I definitely wouldn't use those.

Since you list shoes (not boots), consider instead just loosening the laces and using those as camp footwear --- works very well for me, at any rate.

Of course this is something you can easily change later on once on the trail, and indeed, those little slippers are quite light.

Llama Legs
02-24-2011, 22:41
I'm not yet an iphone guy, but I've carried an itouch hiking. The limitation is recharging. If this product wasn't still a "pipe dream", we'd be set:

http://www.npowerpeg.com/

I've had one on order for, oh, about a year...