PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite part of the trail?

jthue
02-22-2011, 19:43
I can't wait to start hiking the AT this, I've never been on it before. So What's your favorite part of the trail and why? Just curious I guess...

Cool Hands
02-22-2011, 19:59
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like the trail through the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Absolutely beautiful views, alpine hiking, waterfalls, rugged terrain -- it's just incredible. And there's an extensive network of trails through the area that allows exploration almost everywhere. The trail through Maine is also very remote and wild. I suggest these two states as a start if you're trying to get interested in the AT.

Namaste
02-22-2011, 20:16
I love the whole AT section in Maine but especially the Mahoosucs because of the change in terrain (up and down, in and out of boulders). I find each state or section I cover has something to offer that's different. I love it all!:sun

d.o.c
02-22-2011, 20:27
the south i realy like... lots of neat views large mountains .. maine is beautiful and all but i always enjoy the southern sections

fredmugs
02-22-2011, 20:34
I'll let you know when I finish section hiking all of this in Sept.

My favorite part (or thing) about the trail is that it has continuously challenged me year after year to get in shape. There's no way I would be in as good a shape I am right now if I did not have that challenge.

Blissful
02-22-2011, 20:50
I always loved the Whites until I had to thru hike through them. They are HARD (I've done them twice now, NOBO and SOBO). I would never do them as an "intro" to the AT. Its the toughest part of the trail - that and the Mahoosucs. You'd have to be a glutton for bodily punishment - though I do agree the scenery is awesome, if you can get by the toughness of the terrain.

But for more modest terrain and nice scenery, I really liked Vermont. I also like the balds of NC. And southern VA

Blissful
02-22-2011, 20:54
I'll let you know when I finish section hiking all of this in Sept.

My favorite part (or thing) about the trail is that it has continuously challenged me year after year to get in shape. There's no way I would be in as good a shape I am right now if I did not have that challenge.

Congratulations on nearly finishing!! Terrific

And the last statement is excellent.

Cookerhiker
02-22-2011, 20:56
I can't wait to start hiking the AT this, I've never been on it before. So What's your favorite part of the trail and why? Just curious I guess...

Because the time of year when you're hiking has a bearing, I'll give 2 answers:

August-September: White Mountains, NH for the above-treeline setting and Maine for the mountains, lakes, ponds, moose, loons, balsam firs, lush green woods and to top it off, the mighty K

May: NC-TN from Davenport Gap to Damascus, VA for the bald mountains, colorful wildflowers, spring greenery.

Llama Legs
02-22-2011, 21:21
the very next mile !

restless
02-22-2011, 21:25
The Roans are probably the best part of the trail imho. Why? Wait til you get there. See for yourself.

Uncas10
02-22-2011, 21:28
Vermont was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen until I got to New Hampshire, which was my favorite part of the trail until I got to Maine. Maine was not only beautiful, but it was the only part of the trail that had a truly "wild" feel to it. It was rugged and remote and after having seen hundreds and hundreds of people in the Whites, it was exciting to be out in the middle of nowhere for a little while.

jthue
02-22-2011, 22:11
Great answers so far! I live in Utah now, but lived in Charlottesville, VA for a while so I know I will be partial to that part of the trail. Charlottesville and the Bluer Ridge is gorgeous! I can't wait to see all the rest of these places! God be thanked for incredible nature!

So Far
02-22-2011, 22:18
Fellow hiker trash...they will make the trip

Bob McCaw
02-22-2011, 23:52
The places everyone has mentioned are all great. There are also some really nice stretches between New Jersey and southern Massachusetts. The trail has a lot to offer.

Sierra Echo
02-22-2011, 23:55
My favorite parts of the trail are the parts I have worked on.
It could be a check dam, a water bar or a new step. Any opportunity for me to give back! I'm also partial to old bloody!

buff_jeff
02-23-2011, 11:48
It's hard for me to say, honestly. There are the obvious ones: Roan Highlands, Whites, Maine, etc., but I enjoyed every section. I think everywhere has something to offer.

Utah
02-23-2011, 14:06
jthue Southern Maine and the Whites will make you feel most at home if your from Utah

earlyriser26
02-23-2011, 14:32
Easier to say what parts don't you like. I agree on all of Maine and the whites. Also, Roan, Hump, Smokies, Grayson highlands, Wesser, McAfee/Tinker/Dragons tooth.

peakbagger
02-23-2011, 14:46
Maine in general as it has such varied terrain and the usage is a lot lower than many other places. There is not much development on either side of the trail so it feels a lot wilder. The whites are great but they get a lot of day use and to some folks, the crowds can take a bit of getting used to. The whites and many parts of Maine are not neccesarilly a good place to start out without conditioning as the trail bed tends to be rough and the trails tend to go straight up rather than switchbacking. One exception is the first stretch of the trail southbound of baxter in the 100 mile wilderness, but it sure makes up for it after Whitecap!

The Snowman
02-23-2011, 17:28
my favorite short section would be the NY/CT line to Bulls Bridge packs a lot of varity into a short distance mts, fields, river, water falls, covered bridge, etc. Long section would be the White Mts of NH for the views

hikerboy57
02-23-2011, 18:43
I've only done about 800 miles of the AT, but so far my favorite part was the Mahoosucs. A little more wild, very rugged and spectacular scenery.Mahoosuc Notch was a lot of fun. Mahoosuc Arm was not.

johnnybgood
02-23-2011, 19:03
Having never set foot on a large chunk of the AT outside of my home state , I will answer by saying that my favorite is the part of the trail not yet hiked by me.
With that being said though , I would hike the Shennies and Grayson Highlands again anytime.

Papa D
02-23-2011, 19:58
Grayson Highlands, the town of Damascus, Skyline Drive in S.N.P. (Blackberry Milkshake at Elkwallow!), Little Rock Pond, Vermont, White Mountains, the town of Gorham, NH, ALL of Maine!

lysol
02-23-2011, 21:05
I can't wait to get South of Roanoke, Va, but as a section hiker who's covered almost everything north of that point, I think the section just north of Salisbury, Ct is one of the most underrated. Great ridge walks, great shelters, and a lot of variety. Relatively easy access to towns. South of that is a nice walk too, through Great Falls and into Kent, Ct.

But like most, if you blindfolded me and dropped me off anywhere on the trail, I think my tail would be wagging.

Jim Adams
02-23-2011, 23:09
I love NH and Maine but Roan Mt. to AppleHouse in the right weather on the right day is just mystical!

geek

MoodyBluer
02-23-2011, 23:28
I love NH and Maine but Roan Mt. to AppleHouse in the right weather on the right day is just mystical!

geek

I second this opinion...walked this stretch 1st week of August couple years ago and walked by laden blueberry bushes for a mile or so just eating as many as I could...tented in the meadow by Overmountain Shelter that nite under a bright moon and then a cloudless beautiful blue sky the next day over the Humps and down to 19E...best stretch in the South I think.

fiddlehead
02-23-2011, 23:31
My favorite part is always that first step.
Whether NOBO or SOBO, it is just a great feeling.

96-2010
02-23-2011, 23:36
The best part of the AT is the part you are on. Seriously, from south to north the trail just gets better and better. I liked it all (even the northern portion of Pennsylvania). It couldn't be laid out better if you are a NOBO. SOBO's must be a bit disappointed after they get out of the White's but they do have the consulation that they have done the hardest. As far as enjoyment, I enjoyed the Hundred Mile Wilderness the best because we were near the end and we could slow down and appreciate the journey. If I were only going to do a section of the trail I would do that last 100 miles or so.