PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boil Sol

Ashman
02-22-2011, 20:53
Anyone know what the difference between the new Sol and the original?

couscous
02-22-2011, 21:04
Most of the buzz is about the Sol Ti Premium being half the weight of the original.

Uncas10
02-22-2011, 21:46
I have never owned one, but I think in the original model, you could leave your fuel cannister in it all the time (even when you pack it up). The model most people had last year, I believe you had to remove the fuel can every time you broke it down.

bfayer
02-23-2011, 07:01
I have the Flash, and love it. I have seen the Al SOL.

The sol was put on a diet, shorter cup, less plastic in the stove body, and a regulator they say will give an even flame regardless of the temp. I don't know if the regulator actually does anything, because I didn't have a walk in refrigerator to sit in and test it :)

With the smaller cup you cannot pack a canister with everything else in the cup. With my Flash, it just fits with the pot and can stabilizer.

It does come with a can stabilizer and a pot stabilizer, but I was told they are not included in the weight. You can also use the larger pots, and the frying pan no problem.

I was impressed enough that I may pick up a TI when it comes out. A little smaller, and much lighter. I have never needed to fill the Flash cup all the way, so a smaller cup works for me, and will be easier to pack.

Ashman
02-23-2011, 07:13
I don't use the smaller canisters anyway. The cost per ounce on the smaller canisters is a bigger liability than the weight savings for me. I wonder if the older cups will fit on the newer system?

Pedaling Fool
02-23-2011, 08:22
I don't use the smaller canisters anyway. The cost per ounce on the smaller canisters is a bigger liability than the weight savings for me.
Are you talking in general or specifically the Jetboil canisters? I found that Jetboil canisters are usually more expensive than others, especially the snowpeak giga-power canisters, without any loss in performance/fuel efficiency. I also like to buy the bigger canisters, just not jetboil canisters.

Ashman
02-23-2011, 11:19
The bigger jet boil canisters in realtion to the fit inside the cup canisters. Space isn't that huge of an issue for me.

bfayer
02-23-2011, 19:04
...I wonder if the older cups will fit on the newer system?

I was told they do.

lilricky
03-24-2011, 19:14
Yes the older cups still fit on the Sol. The only real complaint I have with the Sol is that in order to limit the weight, they skimped on the cups insulation and the cup strap. I cannot hold the cup when its full of hot water, just too painful, and the strap isn't thick enough to hold the weight of a full cup. Thinking about designing a new insulating sleeve with strap for the Sol.

cowpoke
03-24-2011, 20:34
....about 40 bucks and 7 ounces......

Skid.
03-24-2011, 20:42
I found that if you cook food in the old cup (not just use it to boil water), it can be difficult to get your hand in there to clean out cooked-on food. The new shorter cup might help with that.

Fog Horn
03-24-2011, 21:44
The Sol Ti is coming out soon as well

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

trailangelbronco
03-24-2011, 22:40
I'll buy one when they make one that works with a pepsi can and yellow heet.

SMSP
06-13-2011, 13:22
I was looking at the new cooking systems offered by JetBoil, the SOL and ZIP models. I already own the PCS model, which I found on clearance for like $60 a couple of years ago. The pot alone weighs 15oz according to JetBoil website.

Sol ™ Ti Premium Cooking System, $150, 8.5oz

Sol™ Advanced Cooking System, $120, 10.5 oz

Zip™ Cooking System, $70, 12oz

I suppose if I didn’t already own the PCS I may consider one of the new ones. Although the weight differences are less than PCS, I am not sure (for me) if that’s worth the extra dough. Of course I could look at just buying a companion cup:

Sol ™ Ti Premium Companion Cup, MSRP $70

Sol™ Advanced Companion Cup, MSRP $50

But still, the price is a bit high for my interest. It would take a clearance sale or an REI dividend/20% coupon combo deal to get my interest.

Can you confirm what the SOL’s recommended capacity is listed at; I am assuming it’s at 16oz.

SMSP

jrwiesz
06-13-2011, 16:12
Anyone know what the difference between the new Sol and the original?

the price?

SMSP
06-14-2011, 09:50
The prices listed above are the SOL’s MSRP from JetBoil. REI has them listed the same as well.

The original PCS was $100, then the Flash came out for $100. I think that’s why I got my PCS for 40% off back when I bought it. The Flash had come out and the store had too many PCS’s for the same price of the new Flash’s. I had no intention of spending $100 for the PCS or Flash, but the 40% off sealed the deal. It is not my goto cooking system. I tend to use different cooking systems on different trips, just depends what mood I am in.

SMSP