PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Cooking Equipment

Mismatch
02-22-2011, 22:05
A friend and I are planning on a 2011 SOBO and I have a question about stoves/pots and even food.

Should we just take one cooking set for the two of us? Is the weight saved worth sacrificing the independence? Or should we bring one stove, one pot, per person?

And I know this is more of personal preference, but when it comes to food... should each person carry their own meals or should you pool food together for simplicity's sake?

All thoughts are welcome. Just trying to think ahead.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2011, 22:12
two pots. two stoves. cook your own meals

BrianLe
02-22-2011, 22:38
My "kitchen" weighs 7.5 oz, so even on trips when I'm sure I'll stay together with one or more others, I just bring it (note however that fuel is additional weight to that 7.5 oz).

Assuming by "2011 SOBO" you mean a thru-hike, you just can't know if you'll stay together, so as Lone Wolf said --- be independent.

Hooch
02-22-2011, 22:38
Agree with LW. What happens if you get split up for some reason? Then someone is screwed. Carry your own gear, your own food.

Toli
02-22-2011, 22:52
FYI... With 24,835 post's, over a 99 month period, thats OVER 251 Post's a month... 8 Plus post's a day... Honestly, HOW MUCH HIKIN' can he be doin'???? Let alone offer any advice??? I'm just sayin' ibhappy...

Hooch
02-22-2011, 23:02
FYI... With 24,835 post's, over a 99 month period, thats OVER 251 Post's a month... 8 Plus post's a day... Honestly, HOW MUCH HIKIN' can he be doin'???? Let alone offer any advice??? I'm just sayin' ibhappy...Nothing personal, dude, but Lone Wolf's hiked more miles on accident than most have on purpose. Know your facts. :D

kayak karl
02-22-2011, 23:12
Nothing personal, dude, but Lone Wolf's hiked more miles on accident than most have on purpose. Know your facts. :D
LOL Hooch do any of them have a clue. LOL see ya at the hang. :)

Freedom Walker
02-22-2011, 23:13
Go completely independent of each other. If I ever get to do a thru, even if my closest friend plans to come, I will be independent for many reasons. Sickness, injury, or a host of other reasons could cause the friend to bail. But being able to go separate will give you guys a break when you need some space. You can then hike your own hike. You can plan on doing zero days together.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2011, 05:10
FYI... With 24,835 post's, over a 99 month period, thats OVER 251 Post's a month... 8 Plus post's a day... Honestly, HOW MUCH HIKIN' can he be doin'???? Let alone offer any advice??? I'm just sayin' ibhappy...

:cool:.........i offer the best advice

Grampie
02-23-2011, 10:42

I guess you don't know Lone Wolf:-?

Pedaling Fool
02-23-2011, 10:48
There are two rules I follow in life:
1. Never say never

2. Never share equipment with another hiker

Toolshed
02-23-2011, 10:50
Seriously Dude?? Spend a month (or better, a year) here before you start critiqueing some of these folk... Expeciall LW....:rolleyes:

topshelf
02-23-2011, 12:58
You could share cooking equipment, as long as you two never get separated on the trail. but if you plan on hiking each day at your own pace then meeting at a certain location to camp for the evening then carry a separate cookset. Probably wise to just carry separate cook systems. I mean what is it another 8-16 ounces?

As for food, I've always alternated days with my partner. Mainly because at the beginning of the day I put the food for that day in an outside pocket. So I'll carry food for day 1, 3, 5, 7, and they will carry 2, 4, 6, 8. Never should one person carry all the food.

bigcranky
02-23-2011, 13:46
Don't share any gear with a hiking partner other than your spouse or very serious romantic partner.