PDA

View Full Version : Parking Harpers Ferry

Glee
01-07-2005, 14:18
I’m looking for a place to park my vehicle in the Harpers Ferry Area from @ March 1, 2005 to April 23, 2005. I have 673 miles to go from Harpers Ferry to Mt Killington, VT to finish my thru hike of the AT. If you have a place or know of one, please let me know.

Thanks.

littledragon
01-07-2005, 15:02
Contact the ATC or the Harpers Ferry VIsitors' Center fro starters. I have left my car at the visitors' center, but for shorter times. Happy hiking!

The Gnome
01-07-2005, 18:31
The NPS Visitor Center at Harpers Ferry is located about a mile from the old town. A free shuttle bus runs between the two.
You can park in the Visitors Centre for a maximum of TWO WEEKS, providing you register with the front desk or (as I have done) leave a note on your windshield stating when you are going to return. I also park right at the back of the lot away from the crowds. As with most interactions with the Park Service, you will find the Rangers friendly, helpful and more than willing to bend the rules on occasions. On one trip I parked at Thornton Gap and when I registered at the booth there, the Ranger asked me to move my truck into a particular slot so that he could keep an eye on it from his window.
All that said, you won't get away with parking at the Visitors Center for six to eight weeks.
Contact me via e-mail and I'll see what we can do to find you an alternative parking arrangement.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2005, 18:35
There is long-term parking at the Park Visitor Center, but it's generally for two weeks max.

They might make an exception; you can call them at 304-535-6298, or go to www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/cars.html#sub3 for more information.

If they won't let you stay longer, talk to the folks at the Info Desk at the ATC, or call Laura at the Outfitters at 304-535-2087 to see if she has any ideas. One last possibility if you can't find anything in Harper's Ferry would be for you to call the folks at the Harper's Ferry hostel (which is actually across the river in Sandy Hook, MD). You can reach them at 301-834-7652; I don't know if they permit long-term parking, but it couldn't hurt to ask them.