PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone vacuum sealed pasta sauce

58starter
02-23-2011, 09:37
I was thinking about vacuum sealing meal size containers of pasta sauce for my next section hike and wondered if anyone had done it before.

Kermitt
02-23-2011, 10:53
Yes all the time, just make sure you leve room for the water you will be adding. I do all my meals this way, just 1-2 parts meat, 2-3 parts vegs. & 2 parts rice, pasta, or mash potaoes. Nice to home cooked meals on the trails

skinewmexico
02-23-2011, 12:37
No, but it's easy to dehydrate and grind.

Rain Man
02-23-2011, 14:46
Hard to do if liquid. Are you talking dehydrated?

Rain:sunMan

58starter
02-23-2011, 15:58
I have the fast cooking pasta (cooks in 3 min) it works have used it before. I also have chicken packets. I would like to have red or white sauce to go with it. I have already figured a way to vacuum it in 1/4 cup servings. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it before and how it worked out.

skinewmexico
02-23-2011, 16:21
I'm with Rain Man. I've never seen anyone vacuum pack a liquid.

Rick500
02-23-2011, 16:38
If you're talking about liquid, your vacuum sealer will likely suck the liquid into the vacuum chamber in the machine. Not pretty.

NCarolinaHiker
02-23-2011, 17:11
I have already figured a way to vacuum it in 1/4 cup servings.

He's already done it.

Rick500
02-23-2011, 17:50
How did you do it?

Kermitt
02-23-2011, 17:55
Sorry, in didn't see the word sauece in my first comment, I dehydrate it first.

bigcranky
02-23-2011, 18:01
You can do it, but it will spoil unless you treat it in a boiling water canner. A vacuum sealer does NOT create a sterile environment.

Better to buy tomato powder or dehydrate your pasta sauce, then just carry it in a ziploc bag.

58starter
02-23-2011, 18:02
I have the Foodsaver@ I took an 8" wide bag and cut a 9" long section.
I sealed one end. I then turned the bag sideways and sealed down the middle.
Now you have 4 compartments. I put 1/4 cup in each side.
Then I began the vacuum, when the liquid starting going up the bag, I pressed seal.
I then made another seal line about 1 inch above then liquid. I now have 2 seperate serving to use with two meals. I can cut the corner off and pour onto my cooked pasta in the post after I have poured off the water. This was a trial and then next time I will be able to do it and not waste as much bag.

Bronk
02-23-2011, 18:47
Like someone else said, unless it is processed with boiling water or kept refrigerated (by the weather) it will spoil. Just vacuum sealing it is not enough. And unless you grow your own tomatoes and make your own sauce you have no way of knowing whether or not the sauce was made from high acid tomatoes. The USDA recommends pressure canning sauce made from low acid tomatoes...and I've never seen instructions for putting bags into a pressure canner...who knows if they would hold up or not...might be interesting to try, but messy if it didn't work and the bag failed.

Pringles
02-23-2011, 19:06
I agree with those who say it's not safe, but as far as vacuum sealing a liquid, freeze it, then spoon the amount you want into the bag and seal away.

Papa D
02-23-2011, 19:51
you can buy tomato and pesto sauces in tubes like toothpaste and mix them with a little olive oil (it's kind of nice to carry a few ounces of anyway if you want to gourmet it up) - after you use it you can just roll it up like an old toothpaste tube and stash it in a ziplock with trash. I've bought these at Earthfare Groc. stores - i'm sure places like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. have 'em too - I have a vacume sealer but I don't think I would use it on liquids - actually, it's sort of overrated for a lot of things - i've pretty much just gone back to sucking the air out of ziplocks.

Limo
02-23-2011, 22:00
I wouldn't do it for all the reasons that others have stated. I have dehydrated and ground it into a powder, and that works wonderfully. I've also had quite a lot of success cooking entire pasta meals with sauce and meat, dehydrating it, then vacuum sealing the entire thing. On the trail I just open, pour in boiling water and leave it in a cozy while I set up for the night. I add in a packet of olive oil and some cheese, and it's one of my fave trail meals.

Bonjour
02-24-2011, 23:22
I agree, make your pasta meal, let it sit over night in the refrigerator to soak up the liquidy goodness. Then dehydrate the whole meal. I store them in freezer bags. A couple of Parmesan packs is nice. I also carry a small bottle of olive oil.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2011, 18:31
I have Vacu-packed liquids, it requires a little more space an extra half inch of plastic bend into the vac and some water will be surped out but the seal will hold if you do it twice.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2011, 19:01
Keep in mind you can buy double concentrate with no effort.

http://www.amazon.com/Amore-Italian-Tomato-Paste/dp/B0005XN9HI

I prefer my fruit leather tomato paste as it re hydrates quickly within the par boiled spaghetti

elainefrommaine
03-12-2011, 17:57
I vacuum seal my pasta sauce but I dehydrate it first. Works great.

joshua29
03-15-2011, 14:29
how long will vacum sealed jerky last