PDA

View Full Version : What are the peak dates for thru-hikers arriving in Hot Springs?

The Counselor
02-23-2011, 15:21
I would assume there is a window of time where most arrive? Is it one of the towns where many stop? Or are there other options for folks in the proximity?

Just wondering how "happening" it might be the days we will be there - May 5-7.

Memphis Tim
02-23-2011, 17:28
I passed through fairly early (late March) and it was already humming with thru-hikers. When I was unable to get a bed at Elmer's Sunnybrook I managed to go in on an A-frame cottage on the river with two other guys. It's a great little town but I imagine that it could be difficult to find accommodations at peak times. If you are unable to stay in town there is a really nice hostel called Hemlock Hollow a day's hike north.

Uncas10
02-23-2011, 17:44
There will still be plenty of people going through there in early May. The "peak" will depend on the weather in Georgia at the end of March and beginning of April.

Llama Legs
02-23-2011, 18:03
I would assume there is a window of time where most arrive? Is it one of the town where many stop? Or are there other options for folks in the proximity?

Just wondering how "happening" it might be the days we will be there - May 5-7.

I would guess that the last of the fastest hikers will be coming through, still trying to make it to Trail Days in time.