Namaste
02-23-2011, 16:02
I'm glad that's all resolved.

cnata001
02-23-2011, 16:04
I bet they booked pretty quick, too bad not before a sobo escaped a rape

STEVEM
02-23-2011, 19:33
Every county,town and village in this country has a number of registered sex offenders. There are likely thousands within a mile or two of the AT. The biggest danger is those who haven't been caught, convicted and registered. How many of them do you think are out there?

Young people, especially females (in my opinion) need to be very careful out there. An individual in a strange town with little money and no friends or family around makes an easy victim.

stonedflea
02-23-2011, 19:56
Young people, especially females (in my opinion) need to be very careful out there. An individual in a strange town with little money and no friends or family around makes an easy victim.

i would say people need to be more conscientious, rather than careful. having no money and no friends doesn't make you an easy victim: being stupid does. of course it's not smart to go in to a bar and broadcast you're hiking alone and expect that it's "trail magic" when someone offers to take you home that night "for a nice, comfortable bed before you head out tomorrow."

i think people just need to be more self-aware and alert to their surroundings and they'll be fine. i'm sick of people asking me if i'm going to carry a gun on the trail. no, i'm not. i'm taking my brain... and okay maybe a pocketknife. but that will have me more than prepared.

stonedflea
02-23-2011, 20:02
i would say people need to be more conscientious, rather than careful.

poor word choice on my part. i'm tired and i haven't had enough coffee today. when i think of "careful", i think more along the lines of being apprehensive in every regard. i think it's fine to open up to people a little bit in a strange town... isn't that part of what the hike is all about? meeting new people and learning the ways of a local town?

i think it's fine to sit on a bar stool with someone and have a beer and tell them you're hiking. just use your head and decline an offer to go home with somebody, or make sure no one follows you out of the bar. don't tell them you're hiking alone. don't tell them whether you're nobo or sobo. don't show leg to catch a ride. those kind of things. :)

WalkingStick75
02-23-2011, 21:41
Looks like he gave DOT's as his address

wrongway_08
02-23-2011, 21:49
If you look under the sex offenders registry, you will be amazed at how many are out there. Just put in the town or street around the area and it will pop up with a bunch of these worthless, useless people.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2011, 21:52
Looks like he gave DOT's as his address

Dot's is 338 douglas dr.