PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices going up; will it affect your hiking plans ?

johnnybgood
02-23-2011, 17:19
With the forecast for higher gas prices in the up coming days and weeks , will this adversely impact your future hiking plans ?
And with higher fuel cost on the way, ultimately the cost of other commodities such as food will also cost more to purchase.

The price of gasoline skyrocketing to nearly $4 bucks a gallon by Memorial Day Weekend could cause hiking plans to change , ie ; more hiking trails that are closer to where you live.

Shuttlers will also need to charge more to maintain a reasonable profit .

Will the " Ride Board " Forum become more popular this hiking season ?

Spokes
02-23-2011, 17:22
Hikers in Europe have dealt with high gasoline prices for years. We've been too lucky, too long.

I did trade-in my Toyota Tundra for a new Prius (felt good putting an "AT" sticker on it). Went from 15 to 50 miles to a gallon. That Tundra never met a gas station it didn't like.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2011, 18:35
It's not going to affect my hiking plans, but it could make them cost a little more. I had the forsight to settle down in a prime hiking area.

But man, I do wish there was some way to stop the wall street speculation of oil and food commodity prices which drives the cost up every time there is a perceived crisis, real or imagined. Apprently, a lot of the spike in food prices is because of speculators. One of the last areas left since they crashed the housing bubble.

Okay, enough of this political dribble which will only get me in trouble...

scope
02-23-2011, 18:53
Good time to just be walkin'

Trailbender
02-23-2011, 19:11
Hikers in Europe have dealt with high gasoline prices for years. We've been too lucky, too long.

I did trade-in my Toyota Tundra for a new Prius (felt good putting an "AT" sticker on it). Went from 15 to 50 miles to a gallon. That Tundra never met a gas station it didn't like.

Your shop bill will go up, what they didn't tell you was that hybrids have about 50% more parts in the engine than a regular car. More stuff to break, more often. I think the idea of hybrids is a good one, but I like cars I can fix myself with a coathanger and vice grips. Also, any environmental good they do is offset by the batteries when they need to be replaced.

Feral Bill
02-23-2011, 19:34
So far Priuses have not needed battery replacements, and are among the most reliable cars on the market. Mine has 155000 miles with no problems.

earlyriser26
02-23-2011, 19:46
Heck, I live in Ohio and often drive to the trail just to do a day hike. Like last weekend. No impact at all.

Roland
02-23-2011, 20:02
I can see Mt. Washington and the Northern Presidentials out one window. I can see the Mahoosucs out another. Each are just a few miles away from home.

When push comes to shove and I can't afford the gas, I suppose I'll have to ride my bike those few miles to the trailhead.

Winters may be long. Property taxes may be high. But if you like the outdoors, there are perks to living up here. :)

hikerboy57
02-23-2011, 20:09
I can see Mt. Washington and the Northern Presidentials out one window. I can see the Mahoosucs out another. Each are just a few miles away from home.

When push comes to shove and I can't afford the gas, I suppose I'll have to ride my bike those few miles to the trailhead.

Winters may be long. Property taxes may be high. But if you like the outdoors, there are perks to living up here. :)I hate you. I considered moving up to your area as I 've hiked the whites for 30+ years, but always felt I wouldnt be able to put up with the winters, but this past winter has been severe enough in NY to make me reconsidering moving again.Last year I got a ride into Gorham from a couple who owned a B&B. they told me they had moved up there 2 yrs before. Said , yeah, the winters took a little getting used to, 'but look around you. It doesnt get better than this."

Roland
02-23-2011, 20:13
I hate you. I considered moving up to your area as I 've hiked the whites for 30+ years, but always felt I wouldnt be able to put up with the winters, but this past winter has been severe enough in NY to make me reconsidering moving again.Last year I got a ride into Gorham from a couple who owned a B&B. they told me they had moved up there 2 yrs before. Said , yeah, the winters took a little getting used to, 'but look around you. It doesnt get better than this."

Shhhh.......don't tell anyone. It's our little secret.

Jeff
02-23-2011, 20:17
My furnace has been working overtime this winter and my fuel oil bills are out of site.

Got a wood pellet stove a few years back. What gets me upset is that wood pellets seem to go up in price at exactly the same time as my fuel oil. COLLUSION ???? !!!!!

johnnybgood
02-23-2011, 20:17
Find me a job in Coos County Roland and I'll move just to hike the wonderful Whites.

DapperD
02-23-2011, 20:18

I did trade-in my Toyota Tundra for a new Prius (felt good putting an "AT" sticker on it). Went from 15 to 50 miles to a gallon. That Tundra never met a gas station it didn't like.I think it is smart to have a vehicle that is not a complete gas hog. But by buying a small car you are gaining milage but you are giving up safety. When it comes to accidents, bigger holds up better and protects the occupants better than smaller. Unless you have a long daily commute, I would of considered the extra gas for the Tundra as insurance in helping to protect myself in the event of a bad accident.

Roland
02-23-2011, 20:20
Find me a job in Coos County Roland and I'll move just to hike the wonderful Whites.

What's your occupation?

johnnybgood
02-23-2011, 20:24
What's your occupation?
I have worked in hospitals in the medical field for 25 years .

Roland
02-23-2011, 20:25
I have worked in hospitals in the medical field for 25 years .

Let's take this private. I'll PM you.

JaxHiker
02-23-2011, 23:09
I needed gas today for the truck. At 1/4 tank it was $3.20. I made it just under E and found it for $3.15. When I looked at the pump it read $3.11. I almost cried I was so happy. :)

10-K
02-24-2011, 06:51
Fewer cars on the road makes for tougher hitching...

Torch09
02-24-2011, 07:03
Fewer cars on the road makes for tougher hitching...

Just wave a 5 dollar bill... someone will stop :D

Pedaling Fool
02-24-2011, 09:13
Higher gas prices is a good thing in the big picture -- the agent of change, unfortunately there will be some associated growing pains.

What would be interesting is how it affects not just the obvious price of hiking -- travel to and from. But also how it affects the price of everything else.

Ol Mole
02-24-2011, 09:36
Higher gas prices will not deter the determined. I will find a way to continue to hike, may have to eat cheaper.

Happy Trails.

mudhead
02-24-2011, 11:42

Winters may be long. Property taxes may be high. But if you like the outdoors, there are perks to living up here. :)

NH is very much what anyone wants. Much nicer. $3.35/gal yesterday, I bet they went up overnight.

No perks up here. Just trees and transplants.

Red Hat
02-24-2011, 12:11
I'm driving my RV to GA. But if gas gets too high, I won't be doing as much shuttling as I'd like. I'll have to park it and hike more, and just sit in one spot to do trail magic.

hobbs
02-24-2011, 12:38
With the forecast for higher gas prices in the up coming days and weeks , will this adversely impact your future hiking plans ?
And with higher fuel cost on the way, ultimately the cost of other commodities such as food will also cost more to purchase.

The price of gasoline skyrocketing to nearly $4 bucks a gallon by Memorial Day Weekend could cause hiking plans to change , ie ; more hiking trails that are closer to where you live.

Shuttlers will also need to charge more to maintain a reasonable profit .

Will the " Ride Board " Forum become more popular this hiking season ?
This isn't going to affect your section hike your planning? I hope not..
I hope you and I and Jersey dave can do the SNP when I come thru?If Dave can't were planning the DWG for a couple of day's. The gas issue also made me buy a Saturn a couple of years ago besides my truck to save on fuel...But yes everything will climb in price's..

HiKen2011
02-24-2011, 12:41
I stay broke anyway, what's the big deal?;)

the goat
02-24-2011, 12:45

high property taxes? haha, come down to the washington dc area, i'll show you property taxes!

Old Hiker
02-24-2011, 12:47
high property taxes? haha, come down to the washington dc area, i'll show you property taxes!

Was stationed in the Pentagon for 5 years. Loved the way VA would send the tax notices out 2 weeks before Christmas. One of only a FEW states that would not give an active-duty member's spouse in-state resident rates for colleges.

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 15:25
I hiked from my front door to the PCT. Gas prices don't bother me.

4Bears
02-24-2011, 15:54
My furnace has been working overtime this winter and my fuel oil bills are out of site.

Got a wood pellet stove a few years back. What gets me upset is that wood pellets seem to go up in price at exactly the same time as my fuel oil. COLLUSION ???? !!!!!

Are you able to use corn in that stove? If so it could give you other options. Watch for sales as winter closes on the pellets, I have a friend who buys most of his supply then for the next winter.

Pedaling Fool
02-24-2011, 17:52
Any economist(s) out there?

Why does a gallon of milk cost more than a gallon of gas? The demand is higher for gas, it's harder to procure gas, yet it's cheaper than a gallon of milk:confused:

Please explain to this person that is very stupid in economy stuff.

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 17:59
Gas went up nearly 50 cents here overnight. It's 3.51 now. I have a a Dodge 2500 4 door 4x4 that gets 9mpg. I'm so glad the next 6 months will be on foot.

scope
02-24-2011, 18:01

Why does a gallon of milk cost more than a gallon of gas? The demand is higher for gas, it's harder to procure gas, yet it's cheaper than a gallon of milk:confused:

I think the sheer volume of the oil reserves once plundered overcome the costs of drilling and refining and distribution, whereas milk is a relatively low volume per cow, leading to high overhead, and then you tack on the perishable nature of the product which no doubt affects distribution costs.

ShoelessWanderer
02-24-2011, 18:13
I'm moving to the mountains in april! Very happy I won't have to drive at least 3 hours for decent hiking.

johnnybgood
02-24-2011, 18:39

It's called Ethanol ( made from grain ) to make for a cleaner burning fuel.
The farmers have to grow twice the amount of corn for their livestock and the new gasoline additive (Ethanol)
The cows are feed tons of corn for gaining weight quickly and it apparantly cost more to do eveything from getting the milk from the cow to pastorizing it to now shipping it to your local grocer.
In turn the farmer needs to make a healthy profit because of the time it takes to grow double quanities of corn.

mountainman
02-24-2011, 19:23
I quess if you can afford a car that cost 3 times what mine cost, then gas prices doesn't matter. As for me and my house we're thankfull the gas prices have been low. I look forward to they're return.

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 19:28
If this keeps up I'm definitely going to trade the Hemi in on a Cummins. I already know how to make bio-diesel and the last batch I made was only 70 cents a gallon. I could make the cost of the equipment up in a year with these prices.

hikerboy57
02-24-2011, 19:39

If you take inflation into account, based on 1964 prices, milk has always been more expensive than gasoline. Traders will use any news as a reason to bid the price of oil higher. Last time they blamed it on rising demand from India and China. think about it. 2 countires with some of the lowest percapita incomes in the world. If we couldnt afford $5/gal, do you expect a rice farmer could??eventually we reach a price where noone is willing to buy and prices come down again. But it doesnt change the fact that there is a limited amount of oil on the planet, and the price increases we've seen over the past few years are a warning to continue to aggressively pursue alternative fuel sources.
But why does a 2L bottle of coke cost just 99 cents, when a 2L bottle of WATER costs more than double, even though soda contains water PLUS other ingredients?

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 19:56
I read an article no too long ago....Discovery Magazine????? where they had been testing plants that greatly out produce corn in it's ability to make ethanol. Also they had an algae that when deprived of oxygen it produced large amounts of oils to make bio-diesel. It was estimated that to cover the ENTIRE fuel need for American transportation they needed enough farm land to cover the size of New Mexico. Doesn't seem that hard to imagine for me?

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 19:59
@ hikerboy57. I've been screaming this for years. I had a friend of mine pretty mad the other day when I pointed out that they should read their Evian water bottle backwards.

hikerboy57
02-24-2011, 20:10
I read an article no too long ago....Discovery Magazine????? where they had been testing plants that greatly out produce corn in it's ability to make ethanol. Also they had an algae that when deprived of oxygen it produced large amounts of oils to make bio-diesel. It was estimated that to cover the ENTIRE fuel need for American transportation they needed enough farm land to cover the size of New Mexico. Doesn't seem that hard to imagine for me?
Brazii powers 90% of their vehicles with SUGAR based ethanol, which is much more energy efficient than corn ethanol. The problem lies with our govt, busy subsidizing corn growers while putting ridiculously high tariffs on Brazilian sugar based ethanol. I used to be a broker(I hated it so I quit) and I also sell chevys for a living. we just got the new Chevy volt in which you can drive up to 40 miles on the battery alone, and has an extended range of up to 350 miles with the backup gas generator. But inteerstingly, consumer reports did a study of Hybrids vs conventional vehicles, and, believe it or not, the ranked the Chevy Suburban, when you took into account from the design to disposal process. (Hybrid batteries have to be disposed of and replaced every 8 yrs.), and that you can move up to 9 people at a time. A suburban? go figure.I can supply the suburbans ,9 hikers to a car if we need. But Im not leaving till april 10, 2012.

ShoelessWanderer
02-24-2011, 20:12
@ hikerboy57. I've been screaming this for years. I had a friend of mine pretty mad the other day when I pointed out that they should read their Evian water bottle backwards.

lol, that's awesome. i'd never thought of that before...will have to remember it...

fredmugs
02-24-2011, 21:12
Not only am I still planning to knock out my remaining 360 or so AT miles this year but I added hopefully my first 200 PCT miles to the agenda. Hate to think what gas is going to cost in the CA desert.

hikerboy57
02-24-2011, 21:21
Sorry, didnt mean to get political, but my offer for next year stands. If anyone from NY is planning a thru hike next year, I plan on leaving NY on April 8, hope to get to Springer to start on my 55th Bday, April 10. If we have enough people in need of a ride, I'll rent a suburban and we can drive down together.Its longer than flying, but not really. I used to drive down to Hilton Head, SC, found it wasnt much more time than flying once you factored in travel time to and from airport, transfers, and trnsportation from the airport. and you dont have any baggage restrictions. Any one out there need a ride next year?

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 21:28
My apologies as well, I can be like a kid off his ritalin sometimes when I get going. I'm determined to not let the fuel cost impede my NOBO.

Different Socks
02-26-2011, 13:48
Not at all! I bought a 400cc scooter that I ride to all my hikes. It gets 55mpg and is a thrill to ride. I added saddle bags, a luggage box, and this summer maybe a rider bag that sits behind me. I took it to the Crazy Mtns last summer for 3 days and still had room left over.
I also work a 2nd job that provides tips that I put into a gas acct. For vacation this year I'm driving all the way to Ohio and back from Montana with stops in Illinois, Wisconsin and a few other places to get state high points. Gas cost is factored in and will probably be my highest expense...............but I gotta hike!!!

kayak karl
02-26-2011, 15:02
but it is going to effect what you spend, shuttles will double and hostel will jump up along with hotels. those of you who live in wonderland and think there will will be no effect, keep NOT taking your drugs and all will be OK.

AndyBees
02-27-2011, 08:13
2000 VW Jetta TDI (diesel)............283k miles on it! Presently meets all EPA emissions for the model year!

Life time average just under 51 mpg.

Life time cost to own and operate is slightly under 15 cent per mile.....that's all expense, including initial cost but does not discount current value!

Read more about the very efficient VW TDIs at TDIclub.com! You may be surprised!

Bucherm
02-27-2011, 09:53
We just got the new Chevy volt in which you can drive up to 40 miles on the battery alone, and has an extended range of up to 350 miles with the backup gas generator.

I was interested in the Volt, but...(1)I live in an apartment, so no place to plug it in (2)it needs to use premium gas and (3)it costs approximately a gazillion dollars.

(That is a math term)

Now I'm looking at the Ford Fusion Hybrid, I'm currently driving a 2000 Honda CR-V. Since I work the Mids I do the Beltway Crawl every morning and night, and frankly look forward to $5 per gallon gas, as it'll thin out the traffic some. :D

(I used to take Metro Rail every day until I switched to Mids, now since WMATA has decided to give up all pretense of law enforcement on trains I sure as hell ain't passing through SE late at night)

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2011, 10:58
I was interested in the Volt, but...(1)I live in an apartment, so no place to plug it in (2)it needs to use premium gas and (3)it costs approximately a gazillion dollars.

(That is a math term)

Now I'm looking at the Ford Fusion Hybrid, I'm currently driving a 2000 Honda CR-V. Since I work the Mids I do the Beltway Crawl every morning and night, and frankly look forward to $5 per gallon gas, as it'll thin out the traffic some. :D

(I used to take Metro Rail every day until I switched to Mids, now since WMATA has decided to give up all pretense of law enforcement on trains I sure as hell ain't passing through SE late at night)
I use to ride my bike in that area and it's much faster than sitting in traffic. And now it's easier because of all the bikepaths and you can cross the Woodrow Wilson bridge now -- Use to be really hard to ride home without that option.

Mother Natures Son
02-27-2011, 14:40
Has anyone tried bicycle commuting? I save a ton of gas (and money) and a my old Saturn will go through a tank about every 3 months! (P.S. I did 5,400 miles on the bike last year, just going back and forth to work.)

Pedaling Fool
02-27-2011, 20:05
This is nothing new, I'm sure you'll know about the history of America during the progressive era, but still interesting to read: http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/578.html

An Excerpt:

The coming of the automobile dealt another large blow to the horse. Experimental motor cars had been around for a long time, but cities had always banned them. **The crisis of the 1890s and early twentieth century, involving public health fears about pollution, traffic jams, and rising prices for both hay, oats, and urban land, made municipal governments and urban residents much more ready to switch to autos. A number of articles in popular magazines repeated the argument by a writer in Munsey's Magazine that "the horse has become unprofitable. He is too costly to buy and too costly to keep." The process of substitution went faster in the U.S., than in Europe, because American incomes were higher, cars and fuel cost less, and distances were greater. Leisure drivers came first, since the early car was purely a luxury vehicle. (When Woodrow Wilson rode a carriage in his 1917 inaugural, the last president to do so, he marked the end of the horse as a status object.) By 1907, urban doctors and some members of footloose occupations (salespersons and construction engineers, for example) had adopted cars. Mechanized cabs became commonplace around the same date. In 1906, motor buses replaced horse-drawn omnibuses on Fifth Ave., New York City, likely the last omnibus service left. In 1912, New York, London, and Paris traffic counts all showed more cars than horses for the first time.

** They switched to autos out of a concern for public health, to lessen pollution, traffic jams and logistical support needed by horses:D

Too bad no one on here lived during that period to give a first-hand account....wait a minute:-?, hey Weary......:D;)

:sun

ShoelessWanderer
02-27-2011, 20:10
Has anyone tried bicycle commuting? I save a ton of gas (and money) and a my old Saturn will go through a tank about every 3 months! (P.S. I did 5,400 miles on the bike last year, just going back and forth to work.)

That's awesome! I hate that I live in an area where I can't bike.

AndyBees
02-27-2011, 22:11
This is nothing new, I'm sure you'll know about the history of America during the progressive era, but still interesting to read: http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/578.html

An Excerpt:

The coming of the automobile dealt another large blow to the horse. Experimental motor cars had been around for a long time, but cities had always banned them. **The crisis of the 1890s and early twentieth century, involving public health fears about pollution, traffic jams, and rising prices for both hay, oats, and urban land, made municipal governments and urban residents much more ready to switch to autos. A number of articles in popular magazines repeated the argument by a writer in Munsey's Magazine that "the horse has become unprofitable. He is too costly to buy and too costly to keep." The process of substitution went faster in the U.S., than in Europe, because American incomes were higher, cars and fuel cost less, and distances were greater. Leisure drivers came first, since the early car was purely a luxury vehicle. (When Woodrow Wilson rode a carriage in his 1917 inaugural, the last president to do so, he marked the end of the horse as a status object.) By 1907, urban doctors and some members of footloose occupations (salespersons and construction engineers, for example) had adopted cars. Mechanized cabs became commonplace around the same date. In 1906, motor buses replaced horse-drawn omnibuses on Fifth Ave., New York City, likely the last omnibus service left. In 1912, New York, London, and Paris traffic counts all showed more cars than horses for the first time.

** They switched to autos out of a concern for public health, to lessen pollution, traffic jams and logistical support needed by horses:D

Too bad no one on here lived during that period to give a first-hand account....wait a minute:-?, hey Weary......:D;)

:sun

Well, one of my grand mothers lived in that time period. She was born in 1890 and passed away in 1986......was of sound mind until here untimely death! I remember here telling about Halley's Comet that was present in 1910....she was in teachers school at the time. She said the kids would all go out to the "ball diamond" and sit on the bleachers in the late evening to watch the comet rise!

As a kid growing up in the early '60s, I do recall her comments about the automobile. It took a lot of work off her father who purchased a work truck in about 1920. I recall stories of her telling about the first farm tractor she ever saw (Steel wheels). Of course, she told about how some grist mills were powered by the Morse Fairbank "hit-miss" engines. You need to attend an antique engine fair and see those old machines!

Bucherm
02-28-2011, 00:18
I use to ride my bike in that area and it's much faster than sitting in traffic. And now it's easier because of all the bikepaths and you can cross the Woodrow Wilson bridge now -- Use to be really hard to ride home without that option.

I actually live within walking distance(well, biking distance) of the Vienna terminus of the Orange line, which I used to take allllll the way to the other terminus where my work was located. When I switched to Mids I switched to driving to work. Honestly, the DC area needs to front the cash to turn a lot of the "core" lines into 3 lane rails, instead of diluting it out to Loudoun County.

This is nothing new, I'm sure you'll know about the history of America during the progressive era, but still interesting to read:

One of the websites that isn't blocked here at work is PBS, and they had an episode of NOVA about automobiles, one of the things they talked baout was how Horses were a public health concern as they would drop dead in the streets, and of course the cities had to spend beaucoup money to clear out horse carcasses everyday. :eek:

It was also noted that public charging stations were very common for electric vehicles(like the Baker Electric), but as automobiles became more common outside of cities gasoline became the fuel of choice.

Pedaling Fool
02-28-2011, 08:23
I actually live within walking distance(well, biking distance) of the Vienna terminus of the Orange line, which I used to take allllll the way to the other terminus where my work was located. When I switched to Mids I switched to driving to work. Honestly, the DC area needs to front the cash to turn a lot of the "core" lines into 3 lane rails, instead of diluting it out to Loudoun County.

One of the websites that isn't blocked here at work is PBS, and they had an episode of NOVA about automobiles, one of the things they talked baout was how Horses were a public health concern as they would drop dead in the streets, and of course the cities had to spend beaucoup money to clear out horse carcasses everyday. :eek:

It was also noted that public charging stations were very common for electric vehicles(like the Baker Electric), but as automobiles became more common outside of cities gasoline became the fuel of choice.
Yes many dead horses, here's a more detailed account of the era for anyone interested. http://www.uctc.net/access/30/Access%2030%20-%2002%20-%20Horse%20Power.pdf

We need to take a lesson from that, there's no silver bullet fix to anything. And if there SEEMS to be, you end up shooting yourself with that silver bullet. We don't find solutions we only find new problems, that really should be our mindset.

earplug94
02-28-2011, 13:37
riding there on my moped and full pack. lol

Old Hiker
03-02-2011, 12:38
riding there on my moped and full pack. lol

Careful: you may get a new trail name! Cowpatti!

"On a moped she called Flame".

Spokes
03-02-2011, 13:33
Your shop bill will go up, what they didn't tell you was that hybrids have about 50% more parts in the engine than a regular car. ..........

Funny how they can fit all that "extra stuff" under the hood of my new Prius. No worries on my end though.

Reminds me of 3 things my Dad told me years ago:

- Those Japanese cars will never take off here in the USA.

- Who the heck is going to buy bottled water?

and

- Who the heck is going to pay to watch television?

Pedaling Fool
03-10-2011, 11:31
We all talk about our "addiction" to oil, but are we really addicted to oil or is it the luxuries provided by the use of energy? If a new energy source is discovered that answers all our energy needs and gets us off oil. How will that affect us? Imagine if we could drive anywhere we wanted to for next to nothing or use any amount of electricity for next to nothing. It's not the oil we want, it's the luxuries provided by the energy produced by the burning of the oil. Maybe that's the real problem -- Oil is not the problem it's our expectations, which we've come to believe as our rights.

Bucherm
03-12-2011, 07:18
We all talk about our "addiction" to oil, but are we really addicted to oil or is it the luxuries provided by the use of energy? If a new energy source is discovered that answers all our energy needs and gets us off oil. How will that affect us? Imagine if we could drive anywhere we wanted to for next to nothing or use any amount of electricity for next to nothing. It's not the oil we want, it's the luxuries provided by the energy produced by the burning of the oil. Maybe that's the real problem -- Oil is not the problem it's our expectations, which we've come to believe as our rights.

The only viable alternative would be beaucoup nuclear plants and the grid to support them, as well as the infrastructure to support electric cars.

RWBlue
03-12-2011, 13:02
It will mean more over night, full weekend (3-4 day) trips and almost no day trips.

kayak karl
03-12-2011, 13:32
it will effect my driving. i dont carry gas when i hike.

skinewmexico
03-12-2011, 13:38
The only viable alternative would be beaucoup nuclear plants and the grid to support them, as well as the infrastructure to support electric cars.

Natural gas baby! If you don't mind driving a vehicle with a bomb under the back seat.

Graywolf
03-12-2011, 23:01
How will driving effect my hiking? :-? Hmmm Goodo question, Never thought of that before.. Maybe because I dont drive when I hike...

Pedaling Fool
03-13-2011, 08:50
Virtually everything you do is affected by the price of a barrel of oil.

veteran
03-14-2011, 09:00
Whatcha gonna do when we run out of oil?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Exxon_desert_tanker.jpg

Espero
03-14-2011, 12:52

It's basic supply and demand. Fuel oil becomes more expensive; demand shifts to alternative fuels; alternative supplies can't increase with demand; price of alternatives go up. A solution to this might be to put your name on every junk mail list you come across, then burn the junk mail.

Sickmont
03-14-2011, 12:57
Just means more ramen for me in order to cover the gas for the drive up to Georgia.

johnnybgood
03-14-2011, 20:38
Virtually everything you do is affected by the price of a barrel of oil.
While the price of gas has risen sharply , I will still continue driving to trail heads hours away regardless.
The extra $15 - $20 it now takes to fill my trucks' tank could've gone to consumable goods actually needed for hiking.

Skid.
03-17-2011, 08:29
This is not the first time gas has gone up, but we always hear the same question when it does. I bet someone will be asking it when the next increase comes.

Bare Bear
03-17-2011, 15:20
Well I just got back from Ga-NC and it cost me $525 for diesel for the trip up and back for one day of hiking on the AT. I guess it must be worth it because I go everytime I can afford it.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2011, 17:03
Well I just got back from Ga-NC and it cost me $525 for diesel for the trip up and back for one day of hiking on the AT. I guess it must be worth it because I go everytime I can afford it.

That's insane. For that kind of money, I'd want to stay at least a week.

Chester Copperpot
03-17-2011, 17:19
I have the key to One-Eyed Willy...
Goonies never say die!!!

If you follow the hollow behind my house you will arrive at the Paul Wolfe Shelter.
...don't have to worry about getting to the trail.

As for my adventures to Dolly Sods & the highlands AKA "the magic place", I have a very large change jar with the year's accumulation funding the gas bills AKA "the butcher's bill".

Chester Copperpot
03-17-2011, 17:21
Great to officially be part of the Whiteblaze community!!!
This site has GREAT information!

Montana Mac
03-17-2011, 19:26
Just curious - what were you driving? I figure it would only cosy me $490 round trip from Port Charlotte to Damascus and back if fuel was $4.90/gal.

Trailbender
03-23-2011, 10:07
Funny how they can fit all that "extra stuff" under the hood of my new Prius. No worries on my end though.

Reminds me of 3 things my Dad told me years ago:

- Those Japanese cars will never take off here in the USA.

- Who the heck is going to buy bottled water?

and

- Who the heck is going to pay to watch television?

Well, look it up yourself then. It's called google.

Trailbender
03-23-2011, 10:08
Natural gas baby! If you don't mind driving a vehicle with a bomb under the back seat.

People do it all the time in Iraq.

Pedaling Fool
03-31-2011, 13:42
Seems like the price of gas has stagnated in the past couple of weeks.
I think the national average before it started going up was around $2.70, I guess somewhere around there.

Personally I would like to see it go up a little more, we've become too dependant on the stuff, only setting yourself up for problems when you become as dependent as we are now.

Here's a great little article about gas price myths: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-gas-prices/2011/03/18/ABaUtbQB_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most

I recommend to start cutting expenses elsewhere so the fuel prices don't interfere with your hiking money.

ScottP
03-31-2011, 13:45
I can bike to the AT in a bit over an hour. No problems here.

Pedaling Fool
05-09-2011, 08:42
Seems like the price of gas has stagnated in the past couple of weeks.
I think the national average before it started going up was around $2.70, I guess somewhere around there.

Personally I would like to see it go up a little more, we've become too dependant on the stuff, only setting yourself up for problems when you become as dependent as we are now.

Here's a great little article about gas price myths: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-gas-prices/2011/03/18/ABaUtbQB_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most

I recommend to start cutting expenses elsewhere so the fuel prices don't interfere with your hiking money.
It topped out around $3.80 here, but I hear that it starting to fall now; I've heard some reports that say the national average should be around $3.50 soon. And everyone is happy with that:D

Pedaling Fool
05-09-2011, 08:44
Correction: It topped out at $3.90

Ender
05-09-2011, 08:56
I take public transit to the trails, so gas prices don't affect my hiking plans. Gas is around $4.10 here.

JAK
05-09-2011, 10:39
I've been hiking closer to home. Not sure if its because of gas prices.

tolkien
05-09-2011, 12:13
Take a bus/train to Maine, don't yellowblaze it. In short, no.

Pedaling Fool
05-21-2011, 08:30
It topped out around $3.80 here, but I hear that it starting to fall now; I've heard some reports that say the national average should be around $3.50 soon. And everyone is happy with that:D

Correction: It topped out at $3.90
Seen it as low as $3.75 yesterday; I think I'm going to stop riding my bike now:D

A new thread: Gas prices going down; will it affect your hiking plans ?:)

johnnybgood
05-21-2011, 10:54
A new thread: Gas prices going down; will it affect your hiking plans ?:)

Hey now , don't tempt me...one last thread before the rapture. :D

hikerhobs
05-21-2011, 11:24
I guess if you want to hike you got to pay the price.