PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing a Flip/Flop?

Larry Dean
02-23-2011, 18:40
I am planning an early June start in Harpers Ferry NOBO. Then returning for a SOBO journey to Springer Mountain. Anyone else considering this for 2011? :-?

Any advice or experience concerning transportation from Maine to WVA? Plane / Train / Bus/ ???

Turtle Feet
02-23-2011, 21:15
I'm starting at Springer on the 13th, if it's getting late by the time I reach Harpers Ferry, I'll flip up to Katahdin and hike south in order to finish this year. I won't really know until I'm closer to HF.

laser58
02-23-2011, 21:26
Plan on starting at US 30 in Caledonia SP in PA on May 8th and head NOBO to Baxter Peak. Fly back to Caledonia and continue SOBO to Amicaloa Falls SP. Hope to finish before Thanksgiving.

hobbs
02-24-2011, 00:16
I am starting NOBO end of March to harpersferry then Flipping and Going SOBO.I live by the trail and it's easier to get home..

cantoolong
02-24-2011, 09:05
I am starting from Harpers Ferry at the end of April going NOBO and then returning to Harpers Ferry and going SOBO. At least that is the current plan. I hope to see other thru-hikers on the trail.

endubyu
02-24-2011, 09:15
I am starting from Harpers Ferry at the end of April going NOBO and then returning to Harpers Ferry and going SOBO. At least that is the current plan. I hope to see other thru-hikers on the trail.

This is plan B for me and may be what I do. Also had another thought but haven't worked it out yet; start nobo from harpers ferry at end of April, conrinue along the LT to its northern terminus, launch a packraft and go from there along the canoe trail to baxter, then sobo the entire AT

runnergirl
02-24-2011, 10:11
My brother and I are planning a flip-flop as well. We are starting in Central VA, somewhere around Buchanan and northbound. A week break to go on vaca with our family then return to VA and finish southbound. It works perfect for our schedule and lets us get the best of both ends of the trail.

Rambler1
02-24-2011, 12:02
Just catch a ride to town. Then figure out how to get south.
Probably a train is best choice. Goes right to Harpers Ferry.

Or get lucky and have a NOBO who's heading south give you lift.

wvgrinder
02-24-2011, 12:25
Yea, I'm doing a 20 year flip-flop. Back in 1991 I hiked from Springer to Harper's Ferry. This July, it's off to Katahdin and heading SOBO! :banana

Singletrack
02-24-2011, 13:00
I am planning an early June start in Harpers Ferry NOBO. Then returning for a SOBO journey to Springer Mountain. Anyone else considering this for 2011? :-?

Any advice or experience concerning transportation from Maine to WVA? Plane / Train / Bus/ ???

Yes, I started NOBO from Harpers Ferry in April. After summiting Katahdin, I hitched a ride to Millinocket, hired, and shared a taxi ride to Bangor, Me. From there flew to Boston, and on to Washignton DC. Caught a bus from Washington to Frederick, Maryland. Called the ATC, and they put me in touch with a shuttler, that picked me up in Frederick, and took me to Harpers Ferry.

Singletrack
02-24-2011, 13:10

Also , I forgot that you can catch a bus in Medway, Me. (town next to Millinocket) that goes all the way to Logan Airport in Boston. I took this bus from Boston, Logan Airport, to reach Katahdin when I hiked SOBO. I assume there is a return trip. Hope this helps.

SawnieRobertson
02-24-2011, 22:38
A Cool Breeze (modified somewhat) for me, beginning in the South (Springer) and leaping up to Vermont to continue north in early June, followed by returning to where I left off and sewing up the patch in between--point being trying to avoid extremes in temperatures, especially debilitating heat of which I had e'nuff when I was growning up in far South Texas before air conditioning was anywhere but in the local movie theater.

4shot
02-24-2011, 23:09
some advice for the flip flopper starting at HF based on my observations last year - while you will have the advantage of starting on fairly easy terrain, you will be mixed in with people who have hiked 1,000 miles or so. No matter what, do not try to match their pace as they will be discussing mileage that will not be practical for one just starting out. hike at your pace. also, bear in mind - you will be amongst hikers who have bonded fairly close over the time period from Springer to Katadhin. You will be starting with a much smaller group and may feel a bit more alone, which may or may not be important to you. I hiked a bit with two who started at HF and got off fairly quickly - and I think these issues contributed to their giving up on their hike.While you just may have the best of all worlds from a weather perspective I think a flip starting in the middle has its own unique challenges (but I guess they all do - sobo, nobo, flipping.) Best wishes on your hike.

Megapixel
02-24-2011, 23:14
we will be starting from H.F. as well, mid Apr. At big K, we will continue North to Newfoundland.

Second Half
02-24-2011, 23:31
Plan on starting at US 30 in Caledonia SP in PA on May 8th and head NOBO to Baxter Peak. Fly back to Caledonia and continue SOBO to Amicaloa Falls SP. Hope to finish before Thanksgiving.

Yo Laser, I'm hoping to start pretty much the same time and place! As 4shot said we'll feel strong winds from the thru-hikers as they blow by. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to do the full flip-flop. I'll probably be getting off the trail in NH somtime in July.

Hope to see you out there!

Larry Dean
02-25-2011, 11:57
Excellant feedback from all who responded.

I especially appreciate the points made by 4shot. I am a long distance runner and quite competitive by nature. It will be difficult (but to your point, necessary) to pace myself leaving HF.

Thanks to all!

Rambler1
02-25-2011, 17:48
Just hike your own hike and you'll be all right.