PDA

View Full Version : I Shouldn't Be Alive

wrongway_08
02-23-2011, 20:36
I Shouldn't Be Alive,

Anyone watch this show? I have been watching it for the last 3 days and really liking it. Not sure if its a short series or a long run of shows but so far its really good.

Its not really meant as a teaching show but it does a decent job of pointing out when/how things go wrong and what to do to keep your cool after things go wrong. The places they show are awesome - almost worth watching just to see the places these things happen at.

Just seeing if anyone else watches this and what they think?

HiKen2011
02-23-2011, 20:47
I've saw several of those shows and they are interesting to say the least! Real world survival stories.

Phreak
02-23-2011, 21:04
I like this show. Been watching it for several years now.

Shooting Star
02-23-2011, 21:11
I like the show. The jams folks get into and why and how they
get through them is riveting stuff. A pretty cool book in the same
vein is Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. The book is food for
thought for anyone that spends much time in the outdoors.

Erin
02-23-2011, 21:17
I like the show, but get frustrated with all the commercials and the re tell what happened before the commercial just after the commercial. Obviously I don't have a DVR. One of the best was the guy who got lost hiking in the desert in the outback somewhere in Queensland?
I have also read Deep Survival and thought it was interesting, especially on air travel.

d.o.c
02-23-2011, 21:31
watchd it a few times i liked it... it was pretty intense keeps ya watchn..

FritztheCat
02-23-2011, 21:55
Watched one today about these five folks fishing in Africa. A hippo overturned their boat and they were stranded in croc infested waters. One dude swam to the shore and then got attacked by a croc. He escaped a "death roll" by shoving an arm down the croc's throat to open the valve that keeps the water out of the croc's lungs. Interesting (and brave) thing to do.

I found the show interesting enough to watch.

wrongway_08
02-23-2011, 22:06
The current one on now, a guy got lost in the jungle. Earlier he "adopted" a stray dog he found. When he got lost in the jungle, the dog got lost. The dog then found him - after making its way through 40 miles of jungle. How does a-hole repay the dog? Kills him and eats him.
Really, if you have enough strength to start a fire, kill, butcher, cook and eat a dog - you have enough to last a few more days.
Also - your in a freaking jungle! This guy was tooo stupid to find food in one of the mose richest wooded areas around? - He had to kill a dog?

Was the first episode I was hoping he would die - only thing that sucks is the guy is telling you the story, so you know he didn't die.

Okay, done rant, new episode on! :)

slow
02-23-2011, 22:29
The current one on now, a guy got lost in the jungle. Earlier he "adopted" a stray dog he found. When he got lost in the jungle, the dog got lost. The dog then found him - after making its way through 40 miles of jungle. How does a-hole repay the dog? Kills him and eats him.
Really, if you have enough strength to start a fire, kill, butcher, cook and eat a dog - you have enough to last a few more days.
Also - your in a freaking jungle! This guy was tooo stupid to find food in one of the mose richest wooded areas around? - He had to kill a dog?

Was the first episode I was hoping he would die - only thing that sucks is the guy is telling you the story, so you know he didn't die.

Okay, done rant, new episode on! :)

The dog was stray.
He made his own call...so what.
Dogs,Cats are food when you FEEL your life is on the line.NO big deal.

dragoro
02-23-2011, 22:30
If it comes to me in a place where I can't find food, and lost, I'm eating the dog too.

Erin
02-23-2011, 22:42
Missed that episode. I was watching the other show on animal planet called "Fatal
Attractions" where the person keeps a bull or buffalo or tiger in their home. Guess how that one turns out? Yes, it has been a long cold winter.

GoldenBear
02-24-2011, 10:27
The episodes are good in showing what people did while in a survival situation. What it does NOT do is mention whether or not what they did is a good idea. I wish it had some survival experts discuss the things the people SHOULD have done (or NOT done, or done differently) when in these situations. Or even better, how not to get into the survival situations in the first place.

While I watch these shows, I always mentally think about what I would have done to avoid the situation, or if I found myself in such a situation despite my best attempts. I wish the shows would help me learn if my ideas are correct.

Before anyone says, "Watch Man vs Wild," I'll respond that I HATE a lot of the advice given in that show, because some of them are about the WORST things you could do.

-SEEKER-
02-24-2011, 12:19
I'm not able to get any of the stations that broadcast those shows, but my question would be--- What is the camera man and production crew doing while all this is going on? Do they just stand by and watch as people come close to losing their lives? Are they not in danger too?

dragoro
02-24-2011, 12:27
They are re creations. No ones in danger on the show.

-SEEKER-
02-24-2011, 12:28
They are re creations. No ones in danger on the show.

OH! Gotcha. I am reality show challenged.:rolleyes:

tnwolf51
02-24-2011, 12:36
love the show. very interesting

TheChop
02-24-2011, 14:33
I saw the tail end of one. It was a guy who had a broke foot hiking miles and miles in snow. It looked awesome.

The second one I saw was a couple that took a tram up a mountain in California and then got lost. They thought they were going to die because they found a PCT hiker's body and his tent. Except it was spring and they were a little chilled at night but never more than like three miles from civilization. Also in order to get out of the mountains they followed a stream but followed it upstream. Morons.

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 15:13
If you have ever been to San Jacinto, you'd know they weren't exactly morons. People die there all the time.

I saw one of those episodes on a guy who was left for dead on Everest. It always bugs me how these guys are always heros but the real heros are the Sherpas.

TheChop
02-24-2011, 17:04
If you have ever been to San Jacinto, you'd know they weren't exactly morons. People die there all the time.

I haven't granted and obviously you can get lost and in trouble quickly when not prepared but they just seemed sort of obtuse and kept making terrible decisions after terrible decisions.