PDA

View Full Version : Are freezer bags re-usable?

pattydivins
02-23-2011, 21:23
Do people ever re-use their freezer bags for FBC?

Thanks

BigHodag
02-23-2011, 21:59
I don't as there isn't a reliable method of cleaning them on the trail. Also, the heat and poking with sporks and spoons leads to failure. Been there, cleaned that up!

I pre-pack all my FBC chow in its bag before hitting the trail. As I resupply at least once on a 2-week trip, I carry extra bags to pre-bag my resupply.

Used freezer bags are for trash & litter. Drop 'em in the first available trash can, usually at parking areas.

Slosteppin
02-23-2011, 22:46
Yes. My FBC is soup I make and dehydrate at home. Each serving is stored in a quart Ziploc or Glad freezer bag, in the freezer until I pack to go.
I clean and re-use the bags about half the time. The bags are trash until I get home (I take all my trash home). I wash the bags when I get home.

I am not a thru hiker. The longest I go for is about two weeks.

300winmag
03-13-2011, 23:38
I use Ziploc pleated bottom 1 qt. bags. They are too difficult to get teh pleated part ealy clean. I toss 'em so my carbon footprint is a bit higher than those who re-use freezer bags.

But its' the driving to and from backpacking trips that really makes the carbon footprint, even with my 27 mpg. RAV 4 V6.

rustmd
03-14-2011, 13:13
I reuse much as I can. I usually cook the meal in the freezer bag, cozy it, then dump it into my bowl, thus saving the bag from fork holes if possible. I keep used bags w/ my trash and sort & wash at home. I'm a section hiker at present.

dottie

lori
03-14-2011, 14:17
Pack one of those ziploc plastic bowls, pour in the dry contents, shake out particles and store the empty bag in the bottom of the food bag/bear can. Wash the bowl after every meal. Wala.

I usually re-use one ziploc bag for trash I can't re-use (torn salt packets, olive oil packets, pb packets) and toss that away when I get to a trash can.

leaftye
03-14-2011, 14:45
Are they reusable? Sure, but isn't part of the reason for going FBC to minimize time and washing? I only reuse mine as trash bags.

pzokes
04-01-2011, 10:02
For me FBC is so I don't have to wash stuff. It's sorta like washing paper plates at a picnic. But, I think that the Glad freezer bags are a little stronger than the Ziplock brand, if you intend to try washing them.