PDA

View Full Version : My pack weigh in

Trailryder42
02-23-2011, 22:33
Hi all.

Been putting together my pack and this is what I've actually packed and weighed so far:

Osprey Atmos 65 pack:

Clothing Packed:

2 sets base layers
3 pr socks
1 pr underwear
1 short sleeve shirt
rain pants
Marmot Oracle rain jacket
Down jacket

Camp:

Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15* down bag
Warbonnet Blackbird hammock
Warbonnet Superfly tarp w/MSR stakes
Full underquilt
3'x 4' piece of Tyvek
Thermarest Z-Lite pad
Down booties
Camp shoes
Headlamp

Misc.:

Ursack bear/food bag
3 liters water
First aide/toiletiries kit
Katadyn Hiker pro water filter
Camera
Guidebook
Multi-tool

Cook Kit:

3 cup pot w/ lid
Alcohol stove
Lighter
Pot stand
10 oz. alcohol

Using the Mountain Crossings Method, that's pretty much everything. I'm at 31.6 pounds. That's minus food for 3 or 4 days. Does that sound good?

Even with food, I'm thinking I'll still come in well under 40 lbs., especially if I'm wearing a base layer and rain gear or the down jacket from time to time.

And is 3 liters of water the minimum you'll carry, or do you prefer carry less and stop more often to tank up?

Worn clothing are:

short sleeve shirt
underwear
convertible pants
boots
socks
hat or sock cap

Stir Fry
02-23-2011, 22:47
List each iten with its weight and we will be better able to give you an idea of how you are doing. At a glence you seem a bit heavy.

Jersey Tim
02-23-2011, 22:54
Looks pretty good if slightly on the heavy side, but I don't see any glaring omissions. It'll definitely get you started, and you can fine-tune once you get going. You could save close to a pound by swapping Aqua Mira for your pump filter, but if you've already bought it, you probably won't want to do that. You could skim ounces by paring down your FAK (most people overdo it here the first time; you didn't give a breakdown so we can't advise for sure), and also by cutting your guidebook into sections and mailing them ahead so you don't have to carry its whole weight the whole way.

GeneralLee10
02-23-2011, 23:06
Hi all.

Been putting together my pack and this is what I've actually packed and weighed so far:

Osprey Atmos 65 pack:

Clothing Packed:

2 sets base layers- Take one
3 pr socks
1 pr underwear
1 short sleeve shirt
rain pants
Marmot Oracle rain jacket
Down jacket

Camp:

Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15* down bag
Warbonnet Blackbird hammock
Warbonnet Superfly tarp w/MSR stakes
Full underquilt
3'x 4' piece of Tyvek
Thermarest Z-Lite pad
Down booties- not needed
Camp shoes
Headlamp

Misc.:

Ursack bear/food bag
3 liters water
First aide/toiletiries kit
Katadyn Hiker pro water filter- AguaMira the whole way
Camera
Guidebook- cut up mail ahead
Multi-tool- one strait blade will do

Cook Kit:

3 cup pot w/ lid
Alcohol stove
Lighter
Pot stand
10 oz. alcohol

Using the Mountain Crossings Method, that's pretty much everything. I'm at 31.6 pounds. That's minus food for 3 or 4 days. Does that sound good?

Even with food, I'm thinking I'll still come in well under 40 lbs., especially if I'm wearing a base layer-I don't think you will hike with a BL on tooo hot and rain gear or the down jacket- way to hot to hike in from time to time.

And is 3 liters of water the minimum you'll carry, or do you prefer carry less and stop more often to tank up? I would only carry 1ltr in a gatorade bottle. Then on hot dasy I would carry up to 3ltrs. The time I came out of Palmerton I had 4ltrs it was supper hot that day I drank all of my water in a few hours. Just me maybe not you though. All though we all had that much water 4 of us.

Worn clothing are:

short sleeve shirt
underwear
convertible pants
boots
socks
hat or sock cap

Hope that helps some. List your items weights it will help a bit more.

Blissful
02-23-2011, 23:07
You'll never wear a down jacket hiking. Or rain gear unless its relaly windy and cold out with the rain.

I mean there are things you can change can change to cut some weight if you're interested. (like cut the water filter and take Aqua mira). A ursack is extra weight also and really not needed AT wise, imo.
Don't need down boots. Hope you are set with your hammock for cold, but it looks like it, albeit heavy. What do you need Tyvek for?

Utah
02-23-2011, 23:12
I got some good advice, from a thru-hiker named Moose, " If you don't use it everyday, you don't need it".I used his advice my entire thru hike and it worked for me.

FritztheCat
02-23-2011, 23:33
Personally I have to ask, are you comfortable with the pack weight and does everything in your pack work for you? After all, you have to lug it up and down mountains. My pack weight is about the same as yours and I'm comfortable with it. I'm sure I'll tweak it here and there once the thru gets started.

TheCheek
02-23-2011, 23:48
On the at I would always just carry 1liter. Camel up at the source, carry 1L as a backup, and never ran into water trouble. Especially in the spring in the south I really didn't need to carry much water at all.

Uncas10
02-24-2011, 02:02
I got some good advice, from a thru-hiker named Moose, " If you don't use it everyday, you don't need it".I used his advice my entire thru hike and it worked for me.

I agree. I finally let a couple smart hikers shake down my pack at Franklin and they made me toss everything that I hadn't been using.

Your pack sounds a little heavy right now, but that's probably because of things like 3L of water. You won't carry that much normally, but mid summer, you need to be prepared to be able to do so when it gets hot and dry. You'll be fine. Your gear looks good. You can send a lot of it home when it warms up, too.

rrsmith
02-24-2011, 07:47
I have hiked with that pack and don't go over 35lbs or you will be in pain. After 2 yrs with that pack I sold it and got a Gregery with much more padding. That pack wasn't designed to go over 35lbs even at that weight it will hurt.

Turtle Feet
02-24-2011, 08:01
TrailRyder - with the exception of the Ursack, our packing lists are very, very similar. I bet once you put your pack on the scale you come in way under 31lbs!

Not sure of your start date, but a down jacket will probably be a little too much. A friend of mine who "thru'ed" in '08 recommend a vest to me (down or syn your choice). I've been training with that all winter - in northern Wisconsin - and have been plenty warm.

tf

Turtle Feet
02-24-2011, 08:07
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

I was looking for this link - gives you an idea of just how warm it's getting down there already!

mountain squid
02-24-2011, 09:05
gives you an idea of just how warm it's getting down there already!Just because it may be getting warmer doesn't mean that it won't get cold again. I wouldn't forgo cold weather gear just yet. (I'm sure you are not suggesting that Turtle Feet, but someone reading that might get the wrong impression - and I see hikers every year ill prepared for the cold weather.)

That is an interesting link.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

garlic08
02-24-2011, 09:21
...And is 3 liters of water the minimum you'll carry, or do you prefer carry less and stop more often to tank up?...

I never carried more than two liters on the AT, and that was only when I was planning a dry camp a few miles away. Minimum was nothing. I hiked in a fairly wet year and there was so much water I often carried none at all. Yet I still met other hikers starting out every morning with three liters. That's nearly seven pounds, probably the heaviest thing in the pack, and for no reason at all. I never could understand that.

coheterojo
02-24-2011, 10:28
I used the Atmos 65 last year on my thru and I was very pleased with it. If I do the Trail again this year I'll gladly use the same pack.
I always started the day w 2 liters of water. I just filled up my hydration bladder and went with it. I know many hikers that start with much less but , then again, I know those who start out with much more too.
I have a 4 liter Platypus "water-purse" that I use to get water for camp and an empty Gatorade bottle in my pack's side pocket to mix instant breakfast, Tang or whatever.
I gave up the Hiker-Pro filter in Georgia and went with Aqua-Mira(or nothing) the rest of the way to Maine.
I found myself rethinking the need for items every time I was in a town. Lotsa little crap went by the wayside that way. What the heck do I need ice axe loops for? (for example)

Flaco

Trailryder42
02-24-2011, 12:36
Thanks all for the suggestions.

My hike is not til April of 2012 so I have lots of time to evaluate, test and change what I pack.

As for the first aide/hygiene kit. It's pretty basic.

A few bandaides
small roll of duct tape
small travel size toothpaste and brush
Immodium
benedryl
a few pain meds like IB or Aleve
a few yards of TP
Don't have any yet but might pack something like Compeed for blisters

As for the down booties, I'm a cold feet person. If my feet are freezing, I don't sleep. I just got my underquilt and haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I'll see how my feet do with it.

I understand I most likely won't be hiking in the down jacket. It's for camp. And I don't know why I didn't think of just using a vest. That would take up less room in the pack and be lighter. Thanks for that suggestion.

As for carrying water, what you all said I pretty much figured. Having the "capability" to carry 3 liters or more is good but not always needed. Carry what's needed for the conditions.

I'll use the sheet of Tyvek for a ground cloth under the hammock, mainly for wet, muddy conditions or if I find myself sleeping on the ground, to go under the Thermarest Z Lite.

I'll do some trimming of my gear and see what I come up with.

Thanks all.

Turtle Feet
02-24-2011, 12:53
OMG! You are SUPER prepared!!!

I will say, I agree with the booties. I'm carrying a pair too, at least at the start.

My UQ is a 3/4, and even though I'm only 5', it doesn't quite cover me shoulders to feet. My TQ is great, but even with socks on, I like the extra warmth of my booties. I have a soft-soled shell for them too, for the night-time nature hikes. ;)

I may not carry them after the Smokies - bring them back again for the back end of the trip - we'll see.

Sorry you're not joining the class of 2011, but next year, when you're heading for Springer, we'll all be whistfully envious!

tf

BrianLe
02-24-2011, 15:03
I do suggest that when you get a scale and when you post again that you include specific weights of everything, and try to make a very complete list (even if you list things you expect to carry but don't have yet).

And please do state (each time you post an updated list) what trail you're hiking and how far (this isn't a thru-hiking specific forum), what direction, when you plan to start. The down bootie thing wasn't a comment I woud have been able to make before knowing that you planned to start in April. I started last year in late February with a 20F bag; in that context, down booties and parka made a ton of sense. For April, not so much, or at least it wouldn't for me.

"And is 3 liters of water the minimum you'll carry, or do you prefer carry less and stop more often to tank up?"

I can't speak to an April start, but starting NOBO in late Feb I rarely carried much more than a liter. Lots of water on the AT, and generally good water. I think the first time I had to get water from a lake (not a flowing source) was in Maine. I'd ditch the filter in favor of Aqua Mira, or perhaps a steripen if you're inclined that way.

Note that the term "down jacket" is pretty wide open. My down parka weighs a pound, my lighter down jacket weighs 6 oz. Most down jackets weigh more than those numbers, I believe.

I think that if you weigh stuff and do another iteration, particularly one that tries to list absolutely everything, that you'll get more specific feedback.

dragoro
02-24-2011, 15:26
I prefer polar pure to aqua mira