PDA

View Full Version : You don't know How Good you got it on WB

Blissful
02-23-2011, 23:02
Okay I spent half an hour jumping hoops to try and get on this Practical Backpacker forum. After having to go through numerous sign-ins of which I had to do codes, answer secret question, confirm my e-mail via e-mail with an e-mail that they must have on an e-mail approval list, and await the moderator's approval, I finally (gasp) was "accepted" in.

Yippee. Making a little progress. I then go to access my user ICP to put in some personal info. DENIED. I do NOT have the privileges yet to put in my info, and they wouldn't say why. Huh? I need "privileges" to put in some personal data? I was told to go to this help forum thing and NOT to contact them about it. The Help forum says nothing about why a new member is not allowed to adjust or put in personal data on the USER CP. Or what needs to happen. Instead there was a huge list of dos and don'ts about their posting rules that made my head spin and were so cumbersome it was beyond disbelief. I know I'd never remember all that stuff. I finally said to myself, the *** with it and gave up.

So it is with great relief I come back here where life (and membership) is simple and the rules are not so overloaded that one cannot enjoy a forum as well as the trail we love.

You really have it good here, folks. Don't ever complain again. And by the way, please DONATE (button is under donations)! :)

JaxHiker
02-23-2011, 23:07
It's also a veeeeery quiet place.

couscous
02-23-2011, 23:07
Well said! The moderators and everyone "behind the scenes" do a great job on WB. Thanks for reminding us.

sheepdog
02-23-2011, 23:08
que the butterfly landing on bambi's nose :D

fiddlehead
02-23-2011, 23:35
I agree.
Some of these forums are so complicated.
Although the AT is not my favorite trail, this forum is definitely the easiest to navigate.

All forums seem to have a personality.
None are perfect. (because we all want different things)
This one has a pretty good moderating team although it has gone through it's bad ones from time to time.
I really like hiking the CDT and PCT but those forums are just terrible.
They either junk up my mailbox or i see stuff later.
I finally quit even trying. Just post here about all 3 now.

skinewmexico
02-23-2011, 23:38
Not much happens there, at least when I was on. But then I lost my company account, and they won't allow anyone on there with a hotmail account, which is my permanent account. Or Yahoo, or gmail, or any other. They're worthless.

STICK
02-24-2011, 01:29
I think I managed to join at one time, but I forgot my passwords or something. I came across it cause I was wanting to read a post about a MYOG quilt but I had to be a member to read it all or something another....I haven't really been back. I spend my time between here, Backpacker.com and some at BPL. Here and Backpacker are my favorites.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 09:36
Blissful, I'm so grateful that you started this thread. I was actually planning to start a similar one tomorrow to mark my WB anniversary - 6 years and counting.

Notwithstanding its detractors, WB is IMO and experience a wonderful site. I have met many fellow hikers and other fine persons who share my love of the hiking and the outdoors. By "met," I'm not just talking through cyberspace but live persons in the flesh after first "knowing" each other through WB. I believe the consensus we reached a few years ago to avoid certain subjects and discuss topics in a civilized manner has been a force for good. Despite various complaints, I believe the Mods do a fine job in what can be a thankless and PITA task trying to maintain balance, fairness, and respect.

The greatest strength of WB and measure of its value is the assistance to the many newbys who keep coming to the site and see their questions answered promptly and thoroughly (to the point of TMI sometimes, LOL). So one question may prompt 20 responses of which 15 are different from each other - well, that's the WB way but it demonstrates folks' caring and good-faith effort to help those who seek it. In that way, WB is like a bank - you deposit your area of expertise/familiarity/experience and you make withdrawals when you seek advice yourself.

I'm pleased with the trend of more new WBers from outside the AT region, even from the West Coast and PCT land. I'm also pleased to see so many young people coming on, asking their questions, and going hiking.

We got a good thing going here everyone. Let's all keep it up.

max patch
02-24-2011, 09:41
and discuss topics in a civilized manner

Now thats funny.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 09:46
Now thats funny.

It's all relative Max - I'm sure you've seen other internet sites where the flaming is quite extreme.

sherrill
02-24-2011, 09:50
The political forums back in the day made for some interesting reading. I believe that was the catalyst for the way things are structured now.

I don't always agree with some things the Mods do but I respect their efforts. I also don't contribute money to the website either (I used to).

Rain Man
02-24-2011, 11:04
Notwithstanding its detractors, WB is IMO and experience a wonderful site. I have met many fellow hikers and other fine persons who share my love of the hiking and the outdoors. By "met," I'm not just talking through cyberspace but live persons in the flesh after first "knowing" each other through WB. I believe the consensus we reached a few years ago to avoid certain subjects and discuss topics in a civilized manner has been a force for good. Despite various complaints, I believe the Mods do a fine job in what can be a thankless and PITA task trying to maintain balance, fairness, and respect.

Well said. And I too thank Blissful for the OP.

Rain:sunMan

Driver8
02-24-2011, 11:49
... WB is like a bank - you deposit your area of expertise/familiarity/experience and you make withdrawals when you seek advice yourself.

Very insightful. Excellent post. I'm glad to be here. And glad to benefit from the wealth of information and experience of White Blazers, the fellowship and ensures - in the wilderness and online. :) Blissful's experience with another board only reinforces that feeling.

Turtle-on
02-24-2011, 14:58
I am also grateful for this site. I have been reading posts since Jan., when I began training for my section hike in June. I finally joined this week, and this will be my third post. This site has tons of useful info. posted by people from many different walks of life and viewpoints. I have used this site to help select the section of the trail I will be hiking, the pace, my training routine, my gear, food, books and so on. I am EXTREMELY grateful to everyone who works to make this forum what it is, including those who thoughtfully post here and those who moderate. Most people think I am nuts to consider wandering around in the woods for a week this summer, but I find a great deal of courage from the info. on this site. I even read through the trail humor section when my training has me tired and feeling discouraged. Thanks, WB community.

sbhikes
02-24-2011, 15:09
There are a number of us purposefully trying to make the PCT-L a better, friendlier and more useful place. But I agree, WB is a fun place.

weary
02-24-2011, 18:38
..... But I agree, WB is a fun place.
As do I. But that is not a reason for not trying to make it wiser and better.

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2011, 18:51
Even the Austrian's thought they had it pretty good in 1943.

tis a wonderful thing.

Bags4266
02-24-2011, 18:55
Not much happens there, at least when I was on. But then I lost my company account, and they won't allow anyone on there with a hotmail account, which is my permanent account. Or Yahoo, or gmail, or any other. They're worthless.

Exactly, what other e-mail are they looking for? Thats why I gave up on that forum major PITA

max patch
02-24-2011, 19:59
Exactly, what other e-mail are they looking for? Thats why I gave up on that forum major PITA

I don't belong to PB so I can't comment specifically, but its not unusual for "serious" sites to require a "real" email account - issued by work, school, isp, etc - as opposed to a "free" account that anyone can get - yahoo, gmail, lycos, etc - as spammers and trolls tend to use the freebies. This policy tends to get rid of a lot of the riff raff before they show up and become a problem.

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 21:26
Even the Austrian's thought they had it pretty good in 1943.

tis a wonderful thing.

And your point is.....:confused:

10-K
02-24-2011, 21:27
And your point is.....:confused:

By 1944 they changed their mind....

(I think that was the point)

Mags
02-24-2011, 22:46
I don't belong to PB so I can't comment specifically, but its not unusual for "serious" sites to require a "real" email account - issued by work, school, isp, etc - as opposed to a "free" account that anyone can get - yahoo, gmail, lycos, etc - as spammers and trolls tend to use the freebies. This policy tends to get rid of a lot of the riff raff before they show up and become a problem.

Too bad.

With people changing ISPs fairly easily and frequently, many people do not want to use an ISP based e-mail. A school account is only good for when I am taking classes if I am not on the staff. Likewise using a work account for personal use is a big personal no-no for me and many others.

(In fact, most places of business technically do not allow your work e-mail to be used for personal use..even if routinely ignored)

I have my own domain..but not everyone does.

The vast majority of people have Yahoo/G-mail/etc accounts.

So it goes...

Carbo
02-24-2011, 23:10
...So it is with great relief I come back here where life (and membership) is simple and the rules are not so overloaded that one cannot enjoy a forum as well as the trail we love...

:)

"Simplicity is indeed often the sign of truth and a criterion of beauty."

Slosteppin
02-24-2011, 23:21
PB is ruled by an iron hand, the site owner and moderator. Compared with WB there is very little traffic.

OTOH the site owner seems to be very knowledgeable. I check on PB about once every week or two. I read WB nearly every night.

Pony
02-25-2011, 01:33
Free advertising for PB. I'm going to go check it out.

mister krabs
02-25-2011, 08:10
Free advertising for PB. I'm going to go check it out.

Enjoy your trip... back yet?

You can only read full posts if you're a member. If you stop going, your membership expires.

IMO, the owner is a control freak that misunderstands the natural community chaos that is the internet. You can only bend the internet to your will so far before it breaks. In the case of PB, that means that the site loses all it's community flavor and becomes essentially a one man encyclopedia of backpacking. That's fine when you want a review on a specific piece of gear, not so much when you want a place to "hang out. Ironically, the stuff that PB's mod does to make life easier and neater for himself actually makes him do more work because it means that he's the only one who provides content. With his controlling tendencies, that probably suits him just fine.

SouthMark
02-25-2011, 09:09
PB has very little traffic. It is controlled by one person. Very strickt. You cannot post links to other sites.

10-K
02-25-2011, 09:11
The cool thing about operating your own forum is you can do it however you want - maybe he's happy as a clam with exactly how it is?

I did try to create an account over there a few years ago and gave up because it was so obtuse.

Here and backpackinglight.com is where you'll usually find me. Or Facebook. :)

Hobbler
02-25-2011, 09:24
I agree with Blissful!...We probably take for granted the ease of use on the White Blaze site. Membership on WB is truly an "experience" having all the bells and whistles well laid out with easy navigation tools to make you keep coming back for more....Can you say addicting?

So much better than most other sites....In public, I meet people and give my viewpoint when asked, but have pointed many newbies to look at WB to find helpful information and to hear the position of others. They usually discover more than they bargained for. A wealth of knowledge and research answers in one stop.

The members here have a certain open-ness about them, and are more than willing to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences...Like a family at the dinner table...I know, the old timey family meeting over dinner is rare, but I was brought up to appreciate it and still practice it.

A well done and superbly managed site!...Thanks WB.

sherrill
02-25-2011, 09:29
The members here have a certain open-ness about them, and are more than willing to share their thoughts, opinions and experiences...Like a family at the dinner table...I know, the old timey family meeting over dinner is rare, but I was brought up to appreciate it and still practice it.

And just like the dinner table, if you get out of line you go to time out.

Cookerhiker
02-25-2011, 09:32
....Here and backpackinglight.com is where you'll usually find me. Or Facebook. :)

Or on the Trail.;)

jlb2012
02-25-2011, 09:33
ummm Hobbler - I hate to rain on your love fest but I disagree that all is good with WB - unfortunately I am not one to commit forum suicide by listing what all is wrong so y'all will just need to guess but let me just give you a hint - don't ever mention the word "inseam" if you want your post to survive.

John B
02-25-2011, 09:39
You can only read full posts if you're a member. If you stop going, your membership expires.

Exactly my experience -- booted because I wasn't participating enough. I got a "warning" that I had to participate and I told him that I don't know enough about hiking to contribute much, but that reason wasn't good enough for the admin, so my membership "expired."

WB is far, far better -- apples and oranges, really -- and I don't mind donating cash to help out, but I must say that I wish threads and posts were monitored a bit less. I actually miss reading Jack and Warren's debates. :rolleyes:

Mags
02-25-2011, 10:28
PB has very little traffic. .

Indeed.

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/whiteblaze.net+practicalbackpacking.com/

My personal site gets almost 2x the traffic...

Not that traffic is a sign of a good website...but if you are looking for info from a variety of people (important in a form), it may not be the best choice?

Hobbler
02-25-2011, 11:12
And just like the dinner table, if you get out of line you go to time out.

While I agree that you are out there with your opinions in print and others will and do voice theirs in rebuttal to yours on the site. The dinner table was sacred. Sitting down gave the opportunity to talk and know what is going on in everyone's life. Very constructive and bonding.

Maybe time outs are what you got. I wasn't as fortunate to have such a light punishment. We learned early that there consequences to your actions which bring on progressive dicipline. I wasn't so lucky as to escape the table with a mere "time out". Food took time to shop for, cook and deserved respect. My punishment was discussed right there and told to me. We moved on with discussion but I still had to be quiet, finish my dinner, and look at my parents all meal long.....and know after dinner my punishment came about. Early on, I learned, there was no excuse to get out of line. Looking back, I respect now how much order was in place early in my life. By no means were my parents too strict. The dinner table became something to look forward to. A place of discussion, respect, and yes, fun that I still look back fondly on to this day. Too bad that more people aren't spending more time sharing the most important meal with their families today. While we all have somewhat different opinions on things, I try my best on WB not to go so far out as to "get out of line"

WB is been all good for me with constructive criticism, advice and information....Thank you all!...

wornoutboots
02-25-2011, 11:23
Sorry I didnt flip thru all the babble b4 posting this but a very popular magazine concerning ppl who carry packs on their backs. Have a forum & have included a "political section" & it has gotten wayyy out of line & is about ready to trash their whole forum IMHO

wornoutboots
02-25-2011, 11:24
Oh & I cherish WB for THE GREAT HIKER RESEARCH!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

max patch
02-25-2011, 11:29
I think its funny when someone gets put in timeout for a while, goes to another sites and bitches about how bad this site is and how horrible a job Mr Gator does, and comes rite back here after their time out period has been served.

Form of addiction I guess.

Gray Blazer
02-25-2011, 12:31
goes to another sites and bitches about how bad this site is and how horrible a job Mr Gator does.

We're not worthy ... we're not worthy ...

Cookerhiker
02-25-2011, 12:42
I think its funny when someone gets put in timeout for a while, goes to another sites and bitches about how bad this site is and how horrible a job Mr Gator does, and comes rite back here after their time out period has been served.

Yeah, and that's pretty clever. For many, it is a rite.

Old Hiker
02-25-2011, 13:13
ummm Hobbler - I hate to rain on your love fest but I disagree that all is good with WB - unfortunately I am not one to commit forum suicide by listing what all is wrong so y'all will just need to guess but let me just give you a hint - don't ever mention the word "inseam" if you want your post to survive.

So inseam what exactly inseam do you mean inseam by not mentioning "inseam"? Is that some inseam kind of kinky inseam ritual or piece inseam of gear?

Personally, inseam WB has been inseamingly great for my upinseamcoming thru. Lots of inseam tips, inseam techniques and inseam advice on all types of inseam topics. That's why I started inseaming contributing.

Hobbler
02-25-2011, 13:24
So inseam what exactly inseam do you mean inseam by not mentioning "inseam"? Is that some inseam kind of kinky inseam ritual or piece inseam of gear?

Personally, inseam WB has been inseamingly great for my upinseamcoming thru. Lots of inseam tips, inseam techniques and inseam advice on all types of inseam topics. That's why I started inseaming contributing.

Thanks Old Hiker...No, I never used the word...At least someone noticed.

QiWiz
02-25-2011, 15:40
Have not tried to sign up for the site, but I have listened to many of the podcasts that were made and I thought they were well done and useful. Good to listen to while taking a long walk with your dog at night. :D

Graywolf
02-25-2011, 16:55
I tried to sign into PB before too. I found it rediculous to restrict a Backpacker forum to ones with a real email. Imean come on, Most hikers use a free email because its easeir to keep and to obtain. If you out constantly hiking, say AT, PCT, CDT ect, most likly you will drop a real email to save money for your trips. looks like th guy is selling his self short. If I see a site that askes for a real email,, say, compny or school, I would wonder if he too waas a scammer. Or at least a hacker..Just saying..

Graywolf

Old Hiker
02-25-2011, 17:23
Thanks Old Hiker...No, I never used the word...At least someone noticed.

Awwwww.... now I have to guess which word(s) you meant! ;)

Gray Blazer
02-26-2011, 00:17

I thought we were beotching about Practical Backpacker. I've never been there personally. I do like HHQ. No forums ever locked down there.

Mongoose2
02-26-2011, 12:10
WB is still (IMHO) the best hiking site on the web, however, I do worry about "over-moderation" which has and will lead to more members dropping off the site to join other sites. I have seen it happen before (with the old Trailplace (Trailpl@ce)) I hope it does not happen to this great site, which is so very informative and helpful. Overall the mods do a fine job, and I thank them for the hard work!

weary
02-26-2011, 13:27
WB is still (IMHO) the best hiking site on the web, however, I do worry about "over-moderation" which has and will lead to more members dropping off the site to join other sites. I have seen it happen before (with the old Trailplace (Trailpl@ce)) I hope it does not happen to this great site, which is so very informative and helpful. Overall the mods do a fine job, and I thank them for the hard work!
I think an over moderated Trail Place died because a less moderated White Blaze was there for people to shift to. As White Blaze moves closer to the old Trailplace style, it will be interesting to watch the changing dynamics, once a competing site gains a significant number of users.

Almost until the last weeks, Wingfoot was confident his users would return. Instead they disappeared in a matter of days.

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can'i stand criticsm -- even from friends.

sheepdog
02-26-2011, 15:36
I think an over moderated Trail Place died because a less moderated White Blaze was there for people to shift to. As White Blaze moves closer to the old Trailplace style, it will be interesting to watch the changing dynamics, once a competing site gains a significant number of users.

Almost until the last weeks, Wingfoot was confident his users would return. Instead they disappeared in a matter of days.

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can stand criticsm -- even from friends.
well said ........

Cookerhiker
02-26-2011, 21:38
I would not assume that all those who have left WB, including some who were very active, did so because of "overmoderating." Now sure, some did; I've talked to them or heard so from reliable sources.

But OTOH, I also know of some who left WB because of the incivility and flaming. And it's quite likely that if WB's moderating ended or became noticable looser, we'd see yet more flaming, leading to more people repulsed and checking out.

The fact that more people continue to join WB including newbies & young hikers and continue to receive good info speaks volumes about WB's attraction.

weary
02-26-2011, 21:53
I would not assume that all those who have left WB, including some who were very active, did so because of "overmoderating." Now sure, some did; I've talked to them or heard so from reliable sources.

But OTOH, I also know of some who left WB because of the incivility and flaming. And it's quite likely that if WB's moderating ended or became noticable looser, we'd see yet more flaming, leading to more people repulsed and checking out.

The fact that more people continue to join WB including newbies & young hikers and continue to receive good info speaks volumes about WB's attraction.
Moderation can and should control flaming. Much of the moderation I observe has nothing to do with flaming. I sense much of it stems from issues -- issues that moderators (more likely administrators) sense are going against their beliefs, or towards matters they have decided shouldn't be discussed on a trail forum.

Whatever. WhiteBlaze, in my opinion, does a lot of things well. And prohibits or restricts discussion in ways that may prove destructive in the long range to WhiteBlaze.

johnnybgood
02-26-2011, 22:31
While I'm certainly not one of the old timers here on WhiteBlaze, I've seen a shift toward stricter moderation . Now,-- more moderation was needed from the time I began lurking almost 5 years ago but it too is a delicate balance that needs to held in check.
I believe the allure of WB is the knowledge that can be attained from those here with more experience in a forum that we all can share a common love for.

While WhiteBlaze is not perfect--what is ? -- the positives out weigh the negatives

Roland
02-27-2011, 06:09
~

So it is with great relief I come back here where life (and membership) is simple and the rules are not so overloaded that one cannot enjoy a forum as well as the trail we love.

You really have it good here, folks. Don't ever complain again. ~ :)

Blissful, it appears some folks missed the main theme of your opening post. ;)

TIDE-HSV
02-27-2011, 14:33
The manager/owner of the PB site is a trip. Once, I made a small suggestion, and the reply was, paraphrased "what would you know about running a forum?" I told him that I administered a site many times the size of his (about 25K at that time - it has 800 online now; there are 200+ on now for WB). He informed me that he could have 25K members, if that were what he wanted. After that, I found my posts either edited or deleted, if he thought they diverged even slightly from his opinions. I decided I didn't have time for childrens' games...

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 15:02

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can'i stand criticsm -- even from friends.

Good one Weary, I would be sorry to say I still though I had more fun on WB prior to the three day shut down, but there was alcohol involved.... Now I can't do that and more thought has to go into each post. I have noticed the younger crowd giving up on WB because of some of the moderation. It's not just one person, but several young folk, and moderators. I am thankful for the dog forum though, if it weren't for moderation I would have given up on that forum a long time ago.

Having met the moderator of Trailplace, You could not ask for a nicer person to moderate, Its just a different style and a smaller group, I am not sure it died, it appears to have the same activity.

Cookerhiker
02-27-2011, 16:00
... I have noticed the younger crowd giving up on WB because of some of the moderation. It's not just one person, but several young folk, and moderators. .....

And how do you know these folks' leaving was "because of the moderation?" Have you talked to them or e-mailed them?

Well as I said earlier, I have talked to a fair amount of people and believe me, there are those who left WB not because of "moderation" at all but because of what they believe is rudeness and disrespect that they see on the forums, especially from some individuals who most certainly are not mods.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 16:26
well cooker hiker, I run into them on other sites or my "freinds" list goes down and its a little of everthing like you said.

WingedMonkey
03-02-2011, 23:45

If I agree will it be erased?

Tinker
03-03-2011, 00:03
From Weary:

Like Wingfoot, I find White Blaze loves praise. It can't stand criticsm -- even from friends.

...........................................Like many of its members? ;)
It's just human to want to be loved. :)