PDA

View Full Version : Most LT ETE hikes by one person

pedxing
02-23-2011, 23:13
I was drafting something on repeat LT hikers and want to say something about the people who have hiked the LT End to End the most times. If anyone has any further info, I'd appreciate it. My count:

Snowman: 10 times
Early Bird: 8 times
Bob Northrup: 7 times

Who am I missing?

mark schofield
02-24-2011, 07:25
How about Quoddy? I haven't seen him posting here lately. Hope he's OK

Yukon
02-24-2011, 08:09
How about Quoddy? I haven't seen him posting here lately. Hope he's OK

He's doing great! I think he might be planning an E2E this year, not sure. I'm currently sipping some coffee made out of the french press he got me as a house warming gift. He also roasted and ground some great coffee for me as part of the gift. Quoddy is a great guy, I'm privileged to call him my close friend. :)

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 09:03
I assume you've contacted the Green Mountain Club. They list all E2E hikers who report such to them.

And that reminds me of something I haven't seen on WB - Ben Rose, the GMC's Executive Director for many years is retiring and the GMC is currently recruiting a successor.

I've met Ben a few times and enjoyed talking to him. In fact when I stopped in at GMC half-way through my 2007 inside-out hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203590) of the LT, the first question he asked me was how were the Trail conditions in the North.

In addition to his busy duties at the GMC, he managed to complete an end-to-end hike himself with his daughter last year. I wish Ben well on his future endeavors.

pedxing
02-24-2011, 09:18
I did ask some people at the GMC, including Ben Rose. What I heard back was that they didn't have a searchable database to count. Maybe that will change - I'm not sure, though, that people would keep registering every E2E hike they did after a certain point.

I didn't know Ben was retiring. I did a day hike with him last year for the GMC Centennial relay. We did the Route 9 to Kelley Stand Road stretch. He was open and inclusive in having people join for that stretch and being responsible for everyone came out in the dark and after some rain.

A friend and I camped out near Kelley Stand Rd and hiked to Stratton and back the afternoon before. GMC caretakers there and elsewhere told fond stories about Ben's End to End hike with his daughter. I think it meant something to them that he took the time to hike the trail and visit with the care takers.

Mags
02-24-2011, 11:31
I'm not sure, though, that people would keep registering every E2E hike they did after a certain point.

Good point. Just as a personal example, I've done the LTx2 (once as my first long hike, another time as a 'farewell to east coast hiking' before moving out here).

The first one I reported as I was all gung-ho and was excited to have done this pre-AT jaunt.

Did not report the 2nd LT hike (or, for matter, did I personally report any trails after I did the PCT! ). I loved my 2nd time on the LT...just did not report it for whatever reason. :)

Cookerhiker
02-24-2011, 12:42
And I'm the opposite - I completed my first in 1981 and never got around to reporting it.

mirabela
03-24-2011, 19:17
completed my first in 1981 and never got around to reporting it

Same here. I completed in 1989 and finally sent in for my patch in 2008.

WingedMonkey
03-24-2011, 20:34
Same here. I completed in 1989 and finally sent in for my patch in 2008.

You mean we get a patch?
;)

NorthCountryWoods
04-01-2011, 08:36
Good point. Just as a personal example, I've done the LTx2 (once as my first long hike, another time as a 'farewell to east coast hiking' before moving out here).

The first one I reported as I was all gung-ho and was excited to have done this pre-AT jaunt.

Did not report the 2nd LT hike (or, for matter, did I personally report any trails after I did the PCT! ). I loved my 2nd time on the LT...just did not report it for whatever reason. :)

Same here. Done 3 continuous E2E and close to another 4 times covering all sections (which the GMC classifies as an E2E). Never submitted anything to the GMC tho.

Spoke with a lady in Lincoln that said her father hiked the LT end to end every fall for over 30 years. She used to shuttle him to both ends. He started in the late 70s and he never missed a hike until the year before his death a few years ago.

Sounded like a very cool guy.

pedxing
04-01-2011, 08:51
I've wondered if there are people like that who keep up the annual or near annual hike for decades. I'd think 30 years ending so recently would have left some impact on the trail lore - but it wouldn't have to.

NorthCountryWoods
04-01-2011, 09:11
I've wondered if there are people like that who keep up the annual or near annual hike for decades. I'd think 30 years ending so recently would have left some impact on the trail lore - but it wouldn't have to.

That's what I thought too. She said he hiked solo with old time gear, avoided shelters and enjoyed the solitude, so that could have been part of the reason nobody really knew about him.

double d
04-01-2011, 13:23
Gonna get my first E2E this summer, can't wait. Its gotta be a great experience to have hiked it more then once for many folks here on WB. How many have keep up their GMC membership?

Keystonehobo
04-19-2011, 16:14
I should be starting around the end of Aug, the first of Sept. I hope its a good time to start. I was never on the LT.

pedxing
04-19-2011, 16:58
Double D: I've kept up my GMC membership - giving the free membership to first time end to enders worked to get me in and I've stayed in.

Keystone - I think you've picked a great time. I've gone in late July or early August, because I've been teaching in the Fall - but September is probably a better time to be hiking the LT.

Keystonehobo
04-19-2011, 18:05
I've been looking in the E2E book and it looks like temps are about 65 and nites around 50. Any advice? I'm going to park at the Greylock club. Then Nobo from there. AT to start

double d
04-19-2011, 18:23
Double D: I've kept up my GMC membership - giving the free membership to first time end to enders worked to get me in and I've stayed in.

Keystone - I think you've picked a great time. I've gone in late July or early August, because I've been teaching in the Fall - but September is probably a better time to be hiking the LT.
Cool, thats great, that GMC gave you a free membership once you finished your hike.

double d
04-19-2011, 18:23
I've been looking in the E2E book and it looks like temps are about 65 and nites around 50. Any advice? I'm going to park at the Greylock club. Then Nobo from there. AT to start

when you do plan to start your hike?

pedxing
04-19-2011, 19:26
Yes - the deal was (I think still is) when you register an LT end to end, you get a free membership if you haven't been a member yet.

Keystone - I think 65 degrees (even 50) is great for hiking - of course you'll get considerable variation. For nights, I'd want a 30 degree bag or colder and a full insulating layer - for the trail or in the bag (full length insulating pants and top, hat and at least liner gloves).

Keystonehobo
04-20-2011, 19:35
I want to drive up on the 29th or 30th, Stay over nite in a site then start NOBO the next day til done.

Keystonehobo
04-21-2011, 19:46
I have a 15 Deg. down bag, I'll take the top and bottoms , I have the glove liners, I should be good. I can't wait. I ski on the slopes in the winter it should look different in the summer.

Papa D
04-23-2011, 09:14
I registered my End to End and got the certificate but didn't see a list of End to Enders from 2010 in the Long Trail Magazine - where do they list you? Is there an online link to end to enders or something?