PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse

TheYoungOne
02-24-2011, 10:33
Would a Big Agnes Seedhouse survive an entire thru hike?

I really want one, but they seem fragile and they are so darn expensive. Before I pull the trigger on one, has any thru hikers use one, and did it survive the the entire hike damage free?

Serial 07
02-24-2011, 11:51
that's a great tent...it should survive a couple thrus...obviously the footprint helps keep the bottom protected, but BA makes great tents...

swjohnsey
02-24-2011, 13:29
I have a Seedhouse SL1. It ain't fragile.

chiefiepoo
02-24-2011, 17:59
Not a thru, but after 4 years of intense seasonal use I've had to re seal the top seam cause of some seepage. And those folks who seem to want to build huge campfires with prodigious waves of burning embers have caused me a few pin hole leaks, but all in all durable and easy to make minor repairs.

Press
02-24-2011, 21:39
I'm not a thru either but mine has held up well on numerous section hikes. Light enough to carry the SL2 for plenty of room.

mikec
02-24-2011, 22:03
I've had a Seedhouse SL1 on a couple sections totaling about 300 miles on the AT. It was lightweight, easy to put up and has always kept me dry. Its's a good tent. The only thing I don't like about it is the door on the end. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the Copper Spur or the Emerald Mountain as the door on the side looks bigger and easier to get into.

4shot
02-24-2011, 22:16
nice tent and will work for a thru-hike. Although in that price range saw more MSR Hubba's and tarptents but you can't really pick a bad tent among the three. Best wishes on your hike.

Just Jack
02-25-2011, 14:29
Sent you a PM. Hope that I mashed the right button. Got one for sale if you are interested.

Penguin
02-27-2011, 05:51
You should buy a light tent that's truly light. Check out Zpacks.com, Tarptent.com, SixMoonDesigns.com All of these will be lighter then the SL1.

BarFight
02-28-2011, 20:28
They're not fragile. They were one of the most popular tents two years ago (with the Hubba). I love mine and it lasted fine. That said, it was two years ago and there might be even lighter options now.

thelifejunkie
03-03-2011, 19:30
I'd go with a BA Flycreek 1 if you have you heart set on a BA tent and want to save some more weight(which you do). Also it will last a thru and more. For my thru I used a SMD Lunar Solo and it worked great, and is much lighter that the BA tents.