PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Deaf

ednl
02-24-2011, 15:03
I hope to do some section hiking this year, but being very hard of hearing (nearly deaf) I would like to hear from others with hearing deficiencies how they "managed" on the trail. Specifically, I will never hear a rattlesnake, nor anything sulking round the tent at night. I have hearing aids but they are difficult to wear/maintain on the trail and have to come out in a wind above 5 mph and rain. I don't mind at all hiking "nearly deaf"; usually it is very peaceful, but I don't want to appear aloof to other hikers nor be unnecessarily exposed to dangers I can't hear.

Thanks for any response and/or advice.

bigcranky
02-24-2011, 15:19
I'm mostly deaf in one ear, so I can relate at least a little to your question.

Rattlesnakes: not a problem if you stay on the trail itself. Be moderately careful when walking off trail (say, to use a nearby tree for a nature break.) You could bang around with a hiking stick and scare them off, but really, not a problem. I've never seen a rattle snake in 20 years of hiking the Southern A.T. (Copperheads are another issue, but good hearing won't help with them.)

Critters at night: I usually wear earplugs at night anyway, helps me sleep when the wind is moaning through the trees, or my hiking partner is snoring in his tent. Definitely required if I stay in a shelter.

As for appearing aloof, if you feel it's appropriate, just let people know about it. Otherwise don't worry about it. In general, I've not had people calling to me from any great distance, and around camp I just arrange it so my hiking partner sits to my right so I can hear him.

Happy trails.

WingedMonkey
02-24-2011, 16:04
I met a young deaf man thru hiking named Star Trek, only saw him three of four days as he hiked faster than me. One night we met up at the same shelter, just the two of us, and i scared him enough to make him jump when I approached the shelter from a blind side. I guess it's something you would have to adjust to. Also be aware that you will probably make more noise cooking and packing than other hikers, (might keep away the critters, lol) If other hikers are aware of why, they should have no problem (if they are typical hikers sharing the woods). One night I asked David what it was like to "hear" the large waterfall we had passed that day. I could hear them long before I could see them. He explained to me what it "felt" like on the approach trail and at the falls and in a way I envied his senses. As for snakes....you will see them and and jump or dance in the air..or find a quick reverse you didn't know you had before they get pissed enough to make any noise. Only takes about 20 minutes for you heart beat to return to normal :sun

Trailweaver
02-24-2011, 16:13
While I have no experience with hearing loss, I agree that you won't hear the snakes - even if you hear well - before you see them. I've only encountered one rattlesnake, and it didn't make a sound. He was right in the middle of the trail and refused to move - weeds were high on either side, so I didn't want to go around him either. We had what I call a "Mexican standoff" for 20 minutes or so before my hiking partner used a hiking stick to encourage the snake to move on.

I'm usually a sound sleeper once I go to sleep, so I never hear noises around my tent unless it's an owl. I do love to hear those at night. My guess is that other than the people you encounter, your hearing loss won't really matter much.

the goat
02-24-2011, 16:18
i feel your concern on the snake issue: i was coming across kittatinny ridge one year w/ my headphones on & blaring. i nearly stepped on a rattler who, no doubt, had been trying to warn me of his presence. nevertheless, he didn't strike even though i stepped maybe two inches from his coil.

Slo-go'en
02-24-2011, 17:04
Even for those with good hearing, your more likely to see a snake then to hear it. Just watch where you put your feet. As for not hearing things which go bump in the night, that might be a good thing...

grayfox
02-24-2011, 21:06
ednl, I am deaf on my left side from an acoustic neuroma removed in '97. It also makes my balance a problem in the dark as my vision takes over for balance.

I think that, as others have said, your vision will makeup for hearing on the trail.

I feel that I sometimes offend people when I do not realize that they are speaking and talk over them or when I do not hear them when the are turned away from me and I can not read their lips. I think that some people think I am slow witted because I don't get jokes right away or answer the wrong way to a question. The people who know me put up with me so I sometimes tell strangers I don't hear well and leave it up to them how accomodating they want to be.

10-K
02-24-2011, 21:22
Interesting topic.

I'm have hearing loss in one ear - not deaf but very noticeable.

Whenever noises bother me at night I just turn over on my good ear so I can't hear them anymore.

Little critters have a way of sounding really big when it's dark. Better just not to hear it IMO.

Rain Man
02-25-2011, 00:14
I feel that I sometimes offend people when I do not realize that they are speaking and talk over them or when I do not hear them when the are turned away from me and I can not read their lips. I think that some people think I am slow witted because I don't get jokes right away or answer the wrong way to a question. The people who know me put up with me so I sometimes tell strangers I don't hear well and leave it up to them how accomodating they want to be.

I've recently developed the same problem and have the same feelings about dealing with it with others... or them dealing with it with me.

There are a lot worse problems in the world, so if this is my cross to bear for a while, I can do it!

I appreciate it when folks who know me help me prevent some of those social faux pas.

Rain:sunMan

One Leg
02-26-2011, 07:35
In 2004, I hiked a very long distance with "Flash Hand", who is totally Deaf. He and I got along great since I'm fluent in ASL. PM me for any info you'd like to know...

One-Leg
(Scotty Rogers)

Koinseb
02-26-2011, 08:30
Just another thought in case you're really worried what people think about you:

When I approach somebody, and the person is ignoring me, I usually assume that (s)he has earbuds and is listening to music.

Different Socks
04-23-2011, 09:39
ednl, I am deaf on my left side from an acoustic neuroma removed in '97. It also makes my balance a problem in the dark as my vision takes over for balance.

I think that, as others have said, your vision will makeup for hearing on the trail.

I am HOH as well in both ears. First off, I'd like to say, "Good for you!", that you want to get out on the trail. To Grayfox: I know exactly how you feel about not getting a joke, or answering a question wrong.

mweinstone
04-23-2011, 11:16
being a wise 60 year old is your advantage. trade your hearing for some of the bad senses folks these days hike with and you would be worse off.
loss of hearing?
deaf to the cheering of your supporters maby..
loss of common sense?
deaf to the hearing of that last trumpet.

gabeesh?

you go girl!

mweinstone
04-23-2011, 11:17
sorry ed.

you go guy!

akaGrace
05-01-2011, 00:28
Im HOH and currently on the trail. My eardrum was ruptured and jaw fractured due to a blow to the head. I've had a tympanoplasty a tympanoplasty with mastoidectomy. Each time they deteriorated and last year I had a third tympanoplasty with a cadaver eardrum. My hearing is pretty poor in that ear and I do use a hearing aid. I find that my issues are the same as some others mentioned such as slow response time in conversations and not always being aware when someone is speaking to mein addition mistaking certain words for others or not being able to tell the direction the sound is coming from. I find it makes some people uncomfortable when I closely watch their mouth when they speak. I have vertigo as a result of the injury infections and surgeries but have medication for it and know most of my triggers.......cold wind...hot wind..crossing steams and bridges. I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that although I can't usually hear someone comi.g up the trail from behind me I can almost always feel or sense it.

winnowedsoul
09-11-2011, 23:38
Just know that you should have a little medical alert bracelet or tag somewhere noticeable in case you have an accident so people and rescuers know you are not just disoriented. As for an the trail if you are alone, you could have a little hearing impaired badge if you want others to know that you will be unable to respond to verbal cues on the back of your pack or your tent . Misunderstandings might happen but good luck!

halfdeaf
09-12-2011, 12:09
All great ideas !

halfdeaf

Just a Hiker
09-12-2011, 12:47
I met a young deaf couple on the trail in Vermont last year, and although I could only communicate with hand gestures, one could tell they were having a really wonderful time!

theoilman
09-12-2011, 17:41
My good ear is 30db down, not bad but don't hear whispers. My bad ear is over 60db down and I normally wear an aid in it. But on the trail I leave it at home. 2 minor problems, I have no bi-aural hearing, I can't tell which direction a sound is coming from unless it it in front of me and I see it; 2 sometimes I get to talking loud because I can't hear myself well. When in a group I frequently will tell them my problem and ask them to tell me when I get too loud. At night it is a real advantage, I sleep with my good ear down and all the night sounds just go away.

Snakes - you'll see them before you hear them, most of the time not a problem. Just pause a bit and they will go on across and away from the trail, they are as scared of you as you are of them.

halfdeaf
09-13-2011, 07:38
Born deaf in my left ear, my mother had the measles during our pregnancy, I was the last of 7 children. My father had a special knack of telling everyone of my disability. When growing up social situations were very uncomfortable. When there is any kind of background noise I am totally deaf of any communication. I have never wore a hearing aid because my inner left ear was not developed. When in social settings with groups of people I have a tendancy to turn my head so I can better hear, Usually astute people can figure it out and more times then none it becomes a non-issue. My whole point to this is that I am planning a thru hike and I want to experience the social settings and meeting new people along the way. I have to tell you that It scares the hell out of me thinking about sleeping at night and not being able to hear preceived dangers, being that I also sleep on my good ear. I have always had a dog and train them to alert me of any outside or unusual noises when sleeping, though bad for my teenage daughter trying to come in late !